Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tipping! Am I old fashioned?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I always tip with cash after I discovered some chains do not give the gratuities from credit card payments to the staff

Which chains did you find that out about, I'd like to make sure I only leave cash tips at them in future. I'd thought the chains would be the ones to do the right thing rather than risk the criticism that could be levelled at them, guess not though.

They'll never be able to afford health insurance, unless they work three jobs?

Over 95% of employers (50 staff or more) in the USA offer health insurance to their staff, surely that would cover a significance majority of the USA workforce, wouldn't it?

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
I don't tip them to do their job. No one tips me for the stuff I manufacture. If the service isn't good enough I don't go back. If it is I go back.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
More in favour of leaving a tip on the bill than in cash on the off chance that some of it will find its way back to the folks doing the hard graft in the kitchen.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Absolutely this. I always tip in cash whatever method I use to pay the bill.

As do I, but I got some odd reactions in Canada (Quebec, apparently the one province that has wholesale adopted the US must-tip attitude) as they'd never seen anyone do it. I just assume card tips go to the owners unless explicitly stated and even then I doubt it a bit.

Over 95% of employers (50 staff or more) in the USA offer health insurance to their staff, surely that would cover a significance majority of the USA workforce, wouldn't it?

In some cases, its barely worth having - effectively emergency care cover only with co-pays that make going private in a non-insured system seem like great value. I've no GP insurance as its only offered in Ireland by the state and for low earners so it costs me about £20 a go; I've seen US "clinic" co-pays of $60 for the same!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i'd imagine 50 staff require excludes the entire restaurant industry. even the chains, which are likly franchises.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
i'd imagine 50 staff require excludes the entire restaurant industry. even the chains, which are likly franchises.

All McDonald's staff get medical insurance and prescription drug coverage as part of their benefits packages (including franchises). Burger King offer similar deals to staff, though they have to go though a probationary period.

As for companies with fewer than 50 employees, 69% of them offer health insurance, either way, I think that far more American workers are covered for health insurance than I'd previously believed from what people say, hence I did some research into it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gertrude

May 10, 2014
"here he comes, that tight *******, from the other night, if he orders the Gazpacho I'm gonna piss in it"
I feel stupid now. I thought my taste buds were playing up.

Yes I'm cheap. I don't earn a lot and don't get tips to top it up ;)

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We had a family meal in the States. 20 family and friends and the service was terrible .It took 2 hours for a 2 course meal. The bill was a thousand dollars. The tip was. 200 dollars. This is a rip off . Please be aware if you go to the states.it is a myth if you think that service is better there. Obviously it depends where you go but it is all on the day. To expect 20 percent for doing your job is just not on. In Poland they expect no tips and service is fantastic.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
A very good friend of mine worked in the New York bars for a few years, some bars you will literally work at for free, as the tips is what pay the wage, although varies from bar to bar, (clientele etc...)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Always pay by card, but quietly ask the waiter/waitress on paying if the staff get the tip if it's added to the card payment. If yes, we add it, if not, we leave a cash tip.

Unless poor service or a rip-off for what the meal was, then zilch.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
One other thing about leaving tips on the card. Even if it does get to the staff rather than the owner (often it doesn't), they will have to pay tax on it as it goes through the restaurant's books. If you leave cash... well, you can connect the dots.

I always leave cash tips, and if I'm worried about some of it not getting to the back room staff (eg cooks), I give the wait staff 50% of the tip and go to the kitchen and give the other 50% to a chef. Unusual? Yes, sure. But - it's always appreciated a lot.

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
We had a family meal in the States. 20 family and friends and the service was terrible .It took 2 hours for a 2 course meal. The bill was a thousand dollars. The tip was. 200 dollars. This is a rip off . Please be aware if you go to the states.it is a myth if you think that service is better there. Obviously it depends where you go but it is all on the day. To expect 20 percent for doing your job is just not on. In Poland they expect no tips and service is fantastic.

I lived in America for a year, had really good service wherever I went, leaps and bounds ahead of ours. Some of these people earn less than $3 an hour, 20% can sometimes just make up a servers minimum wage.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have to be honest, I very rarely tip.
All this nonsense about the states being better food and service so you should tip, ok it generally is but I have chosen to visit a country that serves good food at a cheaper price than the UK with good service it is what I expect from any restaurant, if it is poor then I complain and insist on a reduction from the bill and I dont go back.
I got myself into whole heaps of trouble in Hawaii.
Cabs is another £10 to take you round the corner and you feel obliged to tip the change, no chance.Most are self employed anyway so you are just giving them more than the high fare anyway.
However if I visit any establishment and someone has gone over and above the remit of their job to help me in whatever context I will tip big, thank them and make sure their boss knows what a great employee they have.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I don't tip them to do their job. No one tips me for the stuff I manufacture. If the service isn't good enough I don't go back. If it is I go back.
I hope this is a joke, the catering industry is built on tips and is designed to ensure good food and service both front and chefs rely on tips to ensure salaries are near competitive to other industries! Does your employer expect you to work double your contracted hours on a regular basis with no overtime when the only way you will get paid for that time is good food?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here