Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We have to play two up front.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
O'Grady is not good enough to play up front alone and CMS, Baldock and Colunga are the wrong type of player . Unless we get a loan in we must play O'Grady and one other. It's the only way to go, with what we have to work with....Although whos to blame for that is another subject altogether.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Baldock and CMS together at Ipswich looked good and kept their defence pinned back in their box and it was only when CMS was taken off that they were able to get forward and score 2 goals.

The requirement would be to go through or round the defence and not trying going over the top of them .

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
O'Grady is not good enough to play up front alone and CMS, Baldock and Colunga are the wrong type of player . Unless we get a loan in we must play O'Grady and one other. It's the only way to go, with what we have to work with....Although whos to blame for that is another subject altogether.

Totally agree , O Grady and Baldock must start on Tuesday .

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Was moderately impressed by O'grady when he came on, on Saturday.

Certainly at least made the Boro centre halves put down their cigars and actually think about doing some defending.
Obviously not the most gifted player on this earth, but showed some decent spirit.
Also a decent little back-heal to release Baldock in the box, but Baldock had the anticipation of a house brick and didn't get there.

All in all my lasting impression was that we have put the wrong one of the two on the transfer list.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Agree

Leo was fine upfront on his own, as he had the ability to hold up play, link play, bring others into play, and get in the box on the end of crosses.

Without such a player, we have to play BOTH Baldock and COG, as neither of them is good enough to play up front on their own (same goes for CMS)

Why we bought these two players, both of whom can only play upfront as part of a two, when we only even play one up front, is another question.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Deckchairs. Titanic.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We're creating the chances but can't finish. I don't see how playing 2 strikers incapable of finishing is going to change that.

Surely the better option if we are going to press the panic button, would be to play an extra one shielding the back 4 and stop the fullbacks bombing on?

I'd rather just see us get a better striker in. That would sort it out very quickly.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

To give our strikers the best opportunity we need to play to their strengths. We have decided Baldock is the man - well let's give him the best opportunity to demonstrate that.

Or, as you say, get someone else in.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Totally agree , O Grady and Baldock must start on Tuesday .

This

Deckchairs. Titanic.

We're creating the chances but can't finish. I don't see how playing 2 strikers incapable of finishing is going to change that.

I'd rather just see us get a better striker in.

But these too.

We need a new striker if we're going to persist in playing 1 up front. Yes, I know Baldock and Colunga are new, but neither look capable of playing up front alone; and CMS hasn't looked up to it alone for ages. Unless and until we get someone new in, we need whatever height we have (O'Grady therefore - who also looks capable of holding the play up quite decently) and one other. I'd probably plump for Baldock even if CMS was fit, but accept that's a judgment call.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Surely the better option if we are going to press the panic button, would be to play an extra one shielding the back 4 and stop the fullbacks bombing on?

I'd rather just see us get a better striker in. That would sort it out very quickly.

If u think that one is sufficient..do u really think Baldock has been given a fair crack of the whip? Or O'Grady for that matter?

What about the midfield? Hardly a great record at goal scoring ..so one striker to get a hatful? not having a go..just throwing it out there

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Agreed. From another thread...

If Sami must play wingbacks then we have to play 3 CDs. 3-5-2. Hughes is a very decent CB and it would make us a bigger team, defending corners etc. Any of the 3 CDs are good enough on the ball to bring it out of defence and pass the ball.

So against Hudders I would go:

Stockdale (just!)
Dunk, Greer, Hughes
Calde, Ince, JFC, McCourt, Bennett
Texeira/Baldock, O'Grady

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If u think that one is sufficient..do u really think Baldock has been given a fair crack of the whip? Or O'Grady for that matter?

Our finishing across the whole team is woeful at the moment, however, the strikers have scored 1 league goal between them and it's nearly November.

I maintain we are creating enough though, despite our problems up front.

I know that doesn't help much.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Definitely 100% ahead of CMS. CMS is 4th in my list of strikers to be honest

Got to say I'd agree. Personally, I'd go with with Baldock rather than Colunga, but can certainly see a case for Colunga. I regret to say I just can't see a case for CMS any more, except as a last resort. It's a shame, since I like the chap a lot, but he just can't hack it any more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here