Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tower Of London - Poppies

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Historically, what is the significance of 11th November 2014? Sorry if I sound stupid...

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Same as every other November 11th - Armistice Day.

I think you know that I know that!

It's clearly billed as a centenary thing (look at the official website) but would surely make way more sense in 4 years time. Not taking anything away from the idea, just find it a bit random.

It's clearly billed as a centenary thing (look at the official website) but would surely make way more sense in 4 years time. Not taking anything away from the idea, just find it a bit random.

You're right, it doesn't make any sense. It's not the 100th anniversary of the start of the war, it's not the 100th anniversary of the end of the war, it's not even the 100th anniversary of Remembrance Sunday.

It's actually the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Nonneboschen, the last major German attack on the British lines during the first battle of Ypres, and the sinking of H.M.S. "Niger" by a German submarine off Deal.

But who cares, anything that increases awareness of the terrible war is OK in my book.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
1914 - 2014 isn't that the reason?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

They'll do it again (or something similar) in four years time, never fear!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Went in early September, was stunning. The missus bought one online at the end of August.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Went along on Wednesday evening.
A moving experience, reading out the names of those who fell on that day really brought home the enormity of it.
Walking away from there made me feel proud to be British.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here