Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Englands lost football grounds

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
West Ham United are due to move to the Olympic Stadium in Stratford from Upton Park in 2016 while Tottenham Hotspur, who have plans for a new stadium next to their current White Hart Lane ground, will have to find a temporary home venue for the 2017-18 season.

They are just the latest clubs to leave their long-established homes - a trend which began in the 1990s and which shows no signs of abating.

So what became of England's lost football grounds?

Sadly the Goldstone Ground isn't mentioned.. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29460621

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not just the Goldstone, a lot more missing, Manchester City, Derby County, Huddersfield Town, Millwall....... Could be a TV programme and book for this topic.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Drop down to Non League many classic grounds have gone,Horsham ,Newport [IOW],Hendon ,Southall,Tooting,Kingstonian,Yeovil,Walthamstow,Crawley and Addlestone were all top grounds sadly long gone.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Wimbledon? Ayrsome park was truly a dismal away.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Nelson FC played at Seedhill,Bradford Park Avenue The Doll's House,Chester City and Sealand Road,Bangor City at Farrer Road and the list goes on.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Hull at Boothferry Park - in the 1980s the home end was a potential death trap, and the away end was the back of a supermarket. The rest was mostly shut.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Walsall's old ground (Fellows Park??) is now a Morrisons. The centre spot is marked with a plaque on the floor just as you go into the store entrance.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Not just the Goldstone, a lot more missing, Manchester City, Derby County, Huddersfield Town, Millwall....... Could be a TV programme and book for this topic.

According to my brother who works at BBC "Apparently that features about Lost Football Grounds was so popular that they’re planning a follow-up and it’s gonna include the Goldstone"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Interesting article and its certainly impressive what they've done with Highbury. Working for Nuffield as I do I've visited the hospital on the site of Oxford's old ground on numerous occasions. I never went when it was a football ground but it must have been packed in pretty tight with the houses round there.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Cracking stadium, started going downhill once they installed the Grandways....

What happened to the Baseball Ground, Mikey? I seem to remember you had one quite modern stand down one side, but one of the stands (was it the home end?) looked like a Lego block about to fall over. I don't know about old ground romance where the Baseball Ground was concerned; it seems to me the iPro/Pride Park is better in every way; lovely stadium with a good atmosphere, especially since you allowed your fans back behind the away end goal, easy to park and a short distance from the station and city centre. I think the Baseball Ground was quite a way from the station, wasn't it?

While we're on old grounds, does anyone know what happened to Rockingham Road, Kettering Town's ground? It was quite a decent stadium for a non league club, and considerably better than some lower league grounds. Also, has that white elephant that George Reynolds built for Darlington gone? I saw pictures of pre-season games involving them, and they were playing in a much smaller ground.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Interesting article and its certainly impressive what they've done with Highbury. Working for Nuffield as I do I've visited the hospital on the site of Oxford's old ground on numerous occasions. I never went when it was a football ground but it must have been packed in pretty tight with the houses round there.

Went there in '66 when they had a reasonable team and it was a typically small, compact non league ground with changing rooms in one corner with a small stand on top. Bit of a sh*tehole really and it took them ages to get away from there.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Hull at Boothferry Park - in the 1980s the home end was a potential death trap, and the away end was the back of a supermarket. The rest was mostly shut.

Boothferry Park has recently become a new posh (for Hull anyways) housing development. Majority of the pubs are still open around there.

What happened to the Baseball Ground, Mikey? I seem to remember you had one quite modern stand down one side, but one of the stands (was it the home end?) looked like a Lego block about to fall over. I don't know about old ground romance where the Baseball Ground was concerned; it seems to me the iPro/Pride Park is better in every way; lovely stadium with a good atmosphere, especially since you allowed your fans back behind the away end goal, easy to park and a short distance from the station and city centre. I think the Baseball Ground was quite a way from the station, wasn't it?

While we're on old grounds, does anyone know what happened to Rockingham Road, Kettering Town's ground? It was quite a decent stadium for a non league club, and considerably better than some lower league grounds. Also, has that white elephant that George Reynolds built for Darlington gone? I saw pictures of pre-season games involving them, and they were playing in a much smaller ground.

Darlington FC went bust unfortunately, there is a new team called Darlington 1888. They play at a much smaller ground

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here