Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hate this away shirt nonsense

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Middlesborough wear red and white. Most of their supporters yesterday were wearing red. Was there a clash between Boro's red and Albion's blue? No. So the Boro' team arrive on the pitch in grey, or was it black .... definitely not red. Why?

OK, so it can only be so that the club can sell more replica shirts to supporters.

Same with the Albion. The ONLY time we should wear anything other than blue and white is when there is an obvious colour clash. If blue shorts are the problem, then switch to white shorts, but keep the blue and white shirts. At away games there's a sea of blue and white in the away stand ... and the team run out in .... red ... wow, that's a really good idea ... and now maybe they'll run out in dayglo orange ... another really really good idea.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
:lol: something I found amusing was the red and black away kit at Watford, the shorts clashed so they wore white ones, none of our kits have White shorts do they? Surely red shorts would be applicable with the red and black shirt....and why are we in a change kit anyway, blue and white would be fine against yellow and black?

This isn't a rant against the club, just an observation that amused me.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
:lol: something I found amusing was the red and black away kit at Watford, the shorts clashed so they wore white ones, none of our kits have White shorts do they? Surely red shorts would be applicable with the red and black shirt....and why are we in a change kit anyway, blue and white would be fine against yellow and black?

This isn't a rant against the club, just an observation that amused me.

Made me laugh too. Home kit is yellow with black shorts and we turn up with a red and white kit and black shorts so have to switch to white shorts. Just wear the bloody blue and white kit.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
People say it's about marketing yet at some level, surely it's damaging to a club's identity to weaken the association of its core colours with the side?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
People say it's about marketing yet at some level, surely it's damaging to a club's identity to weaken the association of its core colours with the side?

I guess it's a fairly recent thing. Going back a few years I'm sure the Albion only played in their second strip when there was absolutely a clash of colours.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Same here. I always like to see teams play in their traditional colours - your Norwiches, Wolves, Blackpools etc.

IMHO, stripes can never compete with the iconic nature of having one main solid colour on your shirt, as per your examples above, although that said, those three have relatively unique colours where football strips are concerned. Having stripes strips you of your visual identity to a large extent imho - Sunderland, Sheffield Utd, Stoke, Southampton all much of a muchness....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Suggest we go the way Reading did in the goldstne years when they turned up in a change strip of blue and yellow hoops and couldn't understand why it still clashed with our home colours. We had to wear our away strip for a home game, how long before we run out in black and red at the amex to boost sales.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here