• Yes

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 119 67.6%

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I'm going out on a limb here and suggest that you've interpreted the column as saying that women broadcasters' voices are by and large unpleasant and unnatural on the human ear unless they're deep and manly. If that's the case and you think that article somehow backs up your poll then you've misunderstood completely the crux of Prof Beard's argument. Try re-reading the second paragraph, it's referring directly to society's inbuilt prejudice against female presenters.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I am more than happy to have a female announcer but there is difference between the voice qualities needed for radio and those required for public announcements in a noisy environment. I think it used to be called "microphone voice".
Many women do have it, many men do not. It is finding that little edge to the tone that creates clarity. I don't think today's announcer displayed that virtue which explains why I could here her, but not hear what she said much of the time.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
We have had plenty of threads about Richie Reynolds and when Paul Samrah and Attila used to do it there were many threads about them too.

I started this poll following the original thread to properly gauge peoples opinion as I was interested. It would appear 75% were not keen.

But the thread would have been, 'New Announcer', not mentioning his gender.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Hello, calling [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION], this is the 1950s , can we please have you back. :stupid:

OK, so let's imagine, just imagine, that's there's a widely watched women's sport with large crowds ... say hockey. So Brighton Belles are playing Middlesborough Matrons in front of a crowd of 20,000 (80% women) at the Roedean Arena and they have a male announcer on the PA. Would the ladies be happy? My guess is that they wouldn't. They'd be saying "this is a ladies' sport and we want lady announcers".

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
OK, so let's imagine, just imagine, that's there's a widely watched women's sport with large crowds ... say hockey. So Brighton Belles are playing Middlesborough Matrons in front of a crowd of 20,000 (80% women) at the Roedean Arena and they have a male announcer on the PA. Would the ladies be happy? My guess is that they wouldn't. They'd be saying "this is a ladies' sport and we want lady announcers".

I'd guess that would depend on how sexist they are.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I don't go to the match to worry about the announcer, all the important things like subs and goal scorers are on the big screens anyway.
I'm sure if your fictional hockey match did take place the fans would be more excited about the game rather than who is announcing the scores.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Men play hockey too. We have a successful Olympic male hockey team.

Great point well made... Also, while were on it basketball is played by a majority of black players, so they should have a black announcer!

*This is sarcasm, you're clearly stupid so I thought it needs a disclaimer. :wozza:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here