Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia: f*ck defending

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If you've not been watching the games, that's a fair question. (I have no idea whether you have been watching or not)

I think it has started working, largely, we've just been bloody unlucky as well as lacking a bit of quality and/or cohesiveness up front. The goals will come (maybe not tomorrow though).
I haven't been watching, as its a long way from here (and expensive - sorry, Mr Barber), so all I can judge is based on results and increasingly fractious comments on match threads here as yet another game slips away. Several million unsuccessful attempts on goal every game doesn't convince me it is working. If more than the occassional one or two shots went in, and the success ratio goes up, that might help. :moo:

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I can't go along with all these "we deserved to win" comments. To my elderly mind it's quite simple- if you don't score more goals than the opposition you don't win and you don't get three points. Not conceding is fine, provided you score at least one. At the moment, our strikers are in serious danger of making Barn-door Billy look prolific!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't go along with all these "we deserved to win" comments. To my elderly mind it's quite simple- if you don't score more goals than the opposition you don't win and you don't get three points. Not conceding is fine, provided you score at least one. At the moment, our strikers are in serious danger of making Barn-door Billy look prolific!

I certainly didn't say "we deserved to win" but I think the signs are there that the wins will come. 20+ efforts on goal nearly every game will reap reward.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I certainly didn't say "we deserved to win" but I think the signs are there that the wins will come. 20+ efforts on goal nearly every game will reap reward.

Only if those shots are from good positions rather than 'I don't know what to do now I'm just going to hit it from this ridiculous angle/distance'.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'd go for a decently designed F*ck Defending" T-shirt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shame it isn't working - how may goals have we scored so far?

System works excellently - up to the halfway line. Which is already a massive improvement on last season. Not that it was ever rocket science. Nobody ever won anything with ten or twenty shaky sideways passes to the halfway line.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Current season mode of play is infinitely preferable in terms of entertainment to that tippy-tappy 5h1t with no end product we (post purse-string-loosening) used to be subjected to. IMHO, like. Under no illusions that Hyppia is any kind of god-like genius strategist, but fair play to the bloke for giving us finally a bit of entertainment in the correct half of the field. If any one of our so-called strikers started earning their keep, we might be in with a chance of doing something decent.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Part of the problem is that we have seen very little of Baldock, not much more of COG and Coluna has messed up the one good chance he had in front of the home fans. CMS ( up to his injury ) has been leading the line most games and to be fair hasn't got on the end of much.
A lot of the chances have been falling to midfielders and defenders. Look how many goal chances fell to Bennett v Cardiff. Dunk is top goalscorer and even Greer has already registered. The midfield have all been blazing away like mad from 20-25 yards with varying degrees of inaccuracy. When they have found themselves in clear positions, the likes of Crofts and JFC have wasted the opportunities. KLL is dangerous but not prolific. We need a midfielder who is going to chip in with 10-12 goals this season.
As for the forwards, I believe Baldock needs a decent run before we can judge him and the same applies to COG. As for Coluna, I am not convinced what he is going to contribute. Whilst the front-line is still not settled, we need the midfield to step up to the plate and nick those vital goals.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The basis of any succesful side is to keep a clean sheet, do this and goals will come as will results.

:lol: We all appreciate you adore boring football, please stop trying to preach that it's the only way to win a game. We can't score goals whilst going gung-ho, we're really not going to score by playing the flat back 6 with 3 holding midfielders you crave so much.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I disagree. The system is not providing our strikers with chances. They are all falling to defenders and midfielders with low goal to chance ratios. Until that changes the system will continue to fail.

We are creating chances in the 18 and 6 yard box, the midfielders and defenders are getting on the end of them, you have to hold the strikers responsible for not being in the correct positions.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A big 4 or 5-0 win is just around the corner. By lord are we due one. I'm going for next weekend though - tomorrow will be a toughie.

I do hope you're right. The following weekend sees this fat, cheating, tax-dodging, disgrace enter the Amex (via the wide-load entrance, I imagine) for the first time.

article-0-1DE1B89500000578-7_634x427.jpg
article-0-0E2C93CF00000578-131_306x423.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here