Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber on communication, transparency, finances, the fans and club staff

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Fans working with the club, not against it

It’s why everyone in this club gets hugely irritated when they read supporters encouraging others to "stop buying season tickets", "stop attending matches", "don’t buy the merchandise", or "drink and eat elsewhere" when everyone at the club is trying so hard to raise revenues to support our playing budget and reduce the dependency on Tony.

It's pleasing to see he reads nsc and Im glad he took the time to respond.

I would never say "stop buying season tickets", "stop attending matches", "don’t buy the merchandise" under the current management.

However I think the club need to listen more often to their customers buying food and drink. Rather than dismiss us as irritating.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
However I think the club need to listen more often to their customers buying food and drink. Rather than dismiss us as irritating.

That seems to be the bit they do least about, then get 'irritated' when fans suggest taking custom elsewhere.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks Mr Barber, an excellent response, I remain team BHA, team Bloom and team Barber.

To assist in us all helping contribute further, please DEMAND that your contractors employ staff capable of understanding what a pint is, how to put it in a pint sized receptacle, what Bovril/tea/coffee is, how to count, how to operate an AUTOMATED till system, in fact, don't demand they do it, MAKE them do it. Until then you are only going to see match day sales of beer, beverages and grub going in the direction of places like the Swan, and other outlets in Brighton. I'm not threatening to take my trade elsewhere, or suggesting others do, to be fair, that ship has sailed. It's time the club stopped apologising for the dogshit service performed by it's chosen contractor, and make them improve it. Then he'll see increased revenue, which is, after all, what he explicitly said he was trying to do, and said he needed to see happen.

Funny you should respond to this point, because when I read that line from Barber, you were the first poster I thought of.

Not dave the gaffer, who has queried whether it means the likes of him, because he 'doesn't buy anything'. Choosing not to buy stuff is one thing - that is everybody's right, as PB recognises - going out of ones way to repeatedly criticise and encourage people to seek alternatives, is a whole different matter, and in my mind, you are in that camp.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That seems to be the bit they do least about, then get 'irritated' when fans suggest taking custom elsewhere.

I'm not sure that was his point. He said the board, not just PB, get irritated not so much that fans choose to drink/eat elsewhere or stop coming to the Amex entirely, but at the same time encourage others or campaign for others to do likewise on public forums like NSC and also publicly asking the board to spend more money on players. He also said it was a very small minority.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Nice one, I always enjoy a visit to the Barber, sorry, I mean from the Barber. Something for the weekend sir? Yes, three fricking points please.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Who is advocating not buying merchandise, not buying pies and beer at the Amex and not buying STs? What utter bellendery.

I for one am happy making a two hundred mile round trip every other Saturday to watch us get done by teams operating on (comparatively) sweet FA. And enjoy paying over the odds for beef and snacks while I'm at it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Funny you should respond to this point, because when I read that line from Barber, you were the first poster I thought of.

Not dave the gaffer, who has queried whether it means the likes of him, because he 'doesn't buy anything'. Choosing not to buy stuff is one thing - that is everybody's right, as PB recognises - going out of ones way to repeatedly criticise and encourage people to seek alternatives, is a whole different matter, and in my mind, you are in that camp.

I guess I am, or at least was, in that camp, I agree with your point. Now I tend to arrive, watch the match and leave, occasionally a pint pre match. I don't often do matchday 'experience' stuff (anywhere) any more, before or the after. The car parking seems to work well enough now so there is no real need to hang about, or arrive early.

The staff are worse than ever IMO, when that changes, the club will see an increase in revenue, I'm sure that will include more from me.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I just asked my dad what he thinks of the "match day experience".

He just looked at me confused. In his day it was about the football and whether the Albion won or lost.

I guess times change.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

He just looked at me confused. In his day it was about the football and whether the Albion won or lost.

I guess times change.

I think there's a lot of merit in this viewpoint.

I've said something similar elsewhere, so, forgive the repetition for those who get deja vu...

I think there is a good chunk of people who just want to want the football for the cheapest price possible - that's the extent of their matchday experience requirments. Then there are a chunk of people who want more, some a lot more. I think the club have made efforts to cater for both types of folk (including, at the top end, 1901). However, I do wonder if there isn't still more that could be done.

It should be possible for the club to be financially neutral by lowering ticket prices for some, while raising them for others. In addition to a ST (plus auto-cup/away game memberships) and 1901 offering - how about offering a pie and pint deal for all home games at 5% off the current rates if ST holders bought 23 games' worth and pre-loaded them onto their cards (added to their monthly DD), as an example? Don't get hung up on the specific idea - what about the general point?

In the same way that the club have introduced different memberships for those that commit to home league games, home league games plus cup games, and all games - home and away; perhaps it's possible to offer different levels of matchday experience as packages, with the lowest being a cheaper ST and nothing else?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
My knowledge of financial issues in running a football club or business is nonexistent, so like many I was terrified to hear PB announce my club is now losing a £1 million per month, which I believe has increased from previous seasons, so where in his response am I to take heart that finances are not escalating out of control and pretty soon he will have things turned around and my club will be safe in the future? I don't see anything that gives me that warm feeling, but like I said I know nothing about big business.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am continually impressed by PB. The fact that he takes time to look at stuff on here and then respond in depth, quickly and without being asked ( although maybe somebody did email and ask him) is pretty damned impressive imo, I'm sure he has better things to do :smile:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I guess times change.

In my earlier days it was too. But then again in my earlier days players had Daily Mail reading wives named Debbie and Nicola, drove Fords and ate steak with lager and lime for their pre and post match meals. Now you've got League One players with WAGS, Sports Cars and expensive body art.

If the players and their agents weren't such greedy c u next Tuesdays we wouldn't need a match day experience OR responses like this from PB. They are so we do. I blame Jimmy Hill, Sky and Bosman in that order.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I guess times change.

Nothing has changed though, apart from the introduction of a wanky term to describe it.

In his day there was still good or bad transport to a ground, good or bad / cheap or expensive food (no beer), good or bad stewarding and policing, good or poor seating or terracing with good or poor views of the pitch, and exciting or dull, succesful or unsuccesful football. He still had a 'match day experience' - good, bad or indifferent - he just never called it that.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

This. Basically just pleading with people to spend more money...oh dear: dignity, always dignity. However - making it easier for people to do so while not being left feeling like they're getting decent value for money would seem a more sensible long-term marketing strategy to me anyway, looking at this from afar. "Buy a pie or we'll sell some more players" really shouldn't ever get printed above the club shop.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What has happened to the 8 million we received for ulloa? Has that gone into the pot or has that been ring Fenced?

Some of it went into assembling the new squad, some has been put aside . Some on reducing losses.
TB at a recent fan forum
"We’ve just got to make sure we get the best possible deal for the football club. We invest some of [the transfer] money but we didn’t spend it all, and some went on the huge costs we have here.
“It helps with financial fair play, but it’s not the main thing. We lose a lot of money each year, approximately £10 million so if we reduce those losses and have a very good squad then that’s even better."
via http://www.buzzfeed.com/jems2/16-things-bhafc-fans-learnt-from-tony-bloom-and-p-f8gc

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I blame Jimmy Hill.

Very good point. There was a tremendous WSC article a few years back that pointed out that just about EVERYTHING that defines modern football was invented by Jimmy Hill: high players' wages, all-seater stadia, pre-match music, match programmes like glossy magazines rather than team-sheets, even having pundits sitting around a table dissecting televised games when he was LWT. You name it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here