Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moulsecoomb Rovers play at White Hart Lane

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
No not ‘Roy of the Rovers’ nor a nickname for the Albion, but with our own excitement and expectation of our impending visit to White Hart Lane, just think of how 15 and 16 year old lads felt about actually playing there in front of a big crowd, almost exactly 70 years ago.
My dad played there for the newly-formed Moulsecoomb Rovers during the war. This was a team of 15/16 year olds who sometimes played either before or after professional war-time games at various London grounds. This was almost a fantasy scenario for these lads to be playing in front of large crowds in these grounds, as wartime sports entertainment was pretty sparse, and even more so for my dad as he had not even been to Moulsecoomb School where the team had been formed by a former teacher.
As no-one outside of Brighton had heard of ‘Moulsecoomb’, they were apparently often billed at away grounds as ‘Brighton Boys’. That season’s fixture list shows that they also played at Craven Cottage, Selhurst, & Dulwich Hamlet. They also played a few times at the Goldstone, but their normal home pitch was at Wild Park – even more coincidental nowadays as being so close to Falmer.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
My Dad played for Moulsecoomb Rovers around that time. He was born 1931. So may be a little young. I will check it out with him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here