Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Viv Anderson or Paul Reaney

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Viv Anderson is always held as the first black full international player, but surely it was Paul Reaney reaney.jpgreaney.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bizarrely, from his Wikipedia page...

In 1968, Reaney won his first England cap when he came on as a substitute in a match against Bulgaria. From that point on, he was regularly selected for the England squad (albeit not as first choice fullback) until a broken leg in 1970 prevented him from playing in the 1970 World Cup.

After recovering in 1971, he won a further two England caps.

Reaney's appearance for England has assumed greater importance in recent years as even though he was regarded as "white" during his playing career, he is viewed by many as "black" or mixed race now. His England debut was nine years before that of Viv Anderson, who is widely credited as the first black player to appear for England.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Looking back to the late 1960s it would be fair to say we were less aware of race issues and said things we would not dream of saying now. Without question white people were generally more ignorant than today. However, paradoxically I don't think people were actually more racist and were perfectly capable of taking people as they found them. I think Reaney went under the radar for some reason apparently being of a mixture of races. Johanason of Leeds and the other John Charles of West Ham were also playing at the same time. Schools might have had the odd one or two black children but I'd like to think kids took them as they found them. They might have made comments that would be considered racist these days but was genuinely considered as normal banter at the time.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Paul Reaney
every time

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Paul Reaney would have been called half caste in those days, not black. Nowadays the term 'half caste' is considered to be derogatory and is labelled mixed race.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Looking back to the late 1960s it would be fair to say we were less aware of race issues and said things we would not dream of saying now. Without question white people were generally more ignorant than today. However, paradoxically I don't think people were actually more racist and were perfectly capable of taking people as they found them. I think Reaney went under the radar for some reason apparently being of a mixture of races. Johanason of Leeds and the other John Charles of West Ham were also playing at the same time. Schools might have had the odd one or two black children but I'd like to think kids took them as they found them. They might have made comments that would be considered racist these days but was genuinely considered as normal banter at the time.

John Charles of West Ham? I've not heard of him. Are you confusing him with the late great John Charles? There was Clyde Best at West Ham around the same time as Reaney.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
John Charles of West Ham? I've not heard of him. Are you confusing him with the late great John Charles? There was Clyde Best at West Ham around the same time as Reaney.

Clyde Best was a centre forward surely

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Err...we're just discussing early black footballers, aren't we? Have I missed something?

OH Ok
then there was Ade Coker also of West Ham about the same time

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Why when I say the other John Charles would I be confusing him with John Charles who played 10 years before. I think the fact you recall Clyde Best and not the full back John Charles is interesting.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why when I say the other John Charles would I be confusing him with John Charles who played 10 years before. I think the fact you recall Clyde Best and not the full back John Charles is interesting.

Alright matey, keep your hair on. Might the part where I wrote "John Charles of West Ham? I've not heard of him" might just explain my confusion?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Alright matey, keep your hair on. Might the part where I wrote "John Charles of West Ham? I've not heard of him" might just explain my confusion?
Charles playing late 1960s, then Clyde Best then Ade Coker. Just think it's strange that a minor fuss was made about Clyde Best and subsequently Viv Anderson when the likes of Charles, Reaney and Batson etc had already been around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here