Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banning Smoking in pubkic places...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And how many A&E staff have been attacked because someone has been smoking tobacco, compared to those attacked by drunks?

So lets have a complete ban on alcohol.
Most people who enjoy a drink do so without damaging their health (a glass of red a day is supposed to be good for you), whereas all smoking is bad for your health. Being drunk and disorderly is already a crime, so perhaps you'd like that to be enforced more?

(I am a smoker and taking the piss)
It a shame you had to explain.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
People enjoy smoking - we all know it's bad for us, but if we didn't enjoy it we would give up. Live and let live, people should be allowed to do whatever they want to their bodies as long as they aren't harming anyone else.

But smoking in public DOES harm others. And the environment.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
nt
This is ridiculous, yes alcohol is bad, yes maybe I will vomit on you and punch you in the face, but it's not giving you lung cancer though is it.

ridiculous comparison.

As long as the tax raised from smoking pays for the associated cost of dealing with smoking related disease (which it does and more) and secondary smoke isn't an issue (no-one is arguing that under the current system that secondary smoke is anything more than anti-social) then in my opinion we don't have a problem or certainly no bigger problem than we have with drinking.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
"I smoke and I go to the gym" - oh so that's fine then. I really don't mind spunking a load of my taxes on people like you who are completely in denial because they can't give it up.

Don't worry about that. In the UK tax revenues collected from smoking products, far outweigh the money used to treat them. In fact, smokers are paying for you so perhaps you should be giving them more encouragement to smoke.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
nt

As long as the tax raised from smoking pays for the associated cost of dealing with smoking related disease (which it does and more) and secondary smoke isn't an issue (no-one is arguing that under the current system that secondary smoke is anything more than anti-social) then in my opinion we don't have a problem or certainly no bigger problem than we have with drinking.

You responded to what I said as though I was serious.

I need to work on my persona :facepalm:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Ban it in private places too

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Smoking is bad for you but processed food, sugars and lack of exercise will more likely give you cancer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm pretty sure that most people are aware of the dangers and risks of smoking and that a part of them wants to give up. It's rather hard and mean but the screw needs to be tightened ever further to get smokers to realise that it is time to face up to the facts.
I was a smoker for many years, slowly going down the road to having a few roll ups a day after my cheaper straights were taxed up and out of my price range. What converted me was the winter after my works banned smoking on the premises and I had to stand outside in November in the wind and rain trying to draw on a 3mm thick rollie that was more paper than baccy and then the revelation hit " What pleasure am I getting out of this ? Why am I doing this ? So that was it, Allen Carr book and I dumped the habit.

A few months after quitting we had a works xmas do and loads of staff one by one, came in to the bar after dinner and lit up. It was the time when smoking was still allowed in Bars but not restaurants, I realised I was surrounded by about 15 people all smoking and that I was the odd one out. I looked around and realised that I had no cravings whatsoever to join them and felt strangely elated that I was no longer in thrall to the deadly weed. If we had been allowed to carry on in pubs, restaurants and workplaces I may not have had the incentive or the awakened desire to give up.

So ban it.

Don't worry about that. In the UK tax revenues collected from smoking products, far outweigh the money used to treat them. In fact, smokers are paying for you so perhaps you should be giving them more encouragement to smoke.

It's the cyclists who are really cleaning up ... scrounging off the folk who pay road tax AND all those smokers.

Disgraceful.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
True that. Long term smoker here, go to gym 2-3 times a week and fitter than I have ever been - certainly fitter than my non-smoker mates.

The health risks of smoking are greatly exaggerated (not justifying it, it is obviously bad for your health and a stupid thing to do). My nan was a heavy smoker from 15 years old to 90 and died of a non-smoking related illness, go figure.

My dad died of lung cancer last year and had been a committed smoker all of his life. In his younger days he was a keen footballer and county standard cricketer but he developed COPD in his fifties and could barely walk to the end of his flat before the tumour ate his lungs from diagnosis in August to death in December.

Keep deluding yourself that you are uber fit matey.

Keep these words before you SMALL CELL SQUAMOUS CARCINOMA. I should encourage you to keep tabbing mind you seeing as half of adult male smokers will never collect an old age pension. You're saving me money in the long run.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am all in favour of banning smoking anywhere in public, as in California, then that would mean us non smokers getting a seat outside of pubs and coffee bars unlike now, when all are taken up by smokers.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A few months after quitting we had a works xmas do and loads of staff one by one, came in to the bar after dinner and lit up. It was the time when smoking was still allowed in Bars but not restaurants, I realised I was surrounded by about 15 people all smoking and that I was the odd one out. I looked around and realised that I had no cravings whatsoever to join them and felt strangely elated that I was no longer in thrall to the deadly weed. If we had been allowed to carry on in pubs, restaurants and workplaces I may not have had the incentive or the awakened desire to give up.

Can't wait for that bit. Not quite there yet.

I have stopped following people that are smoking down the street because I love the smell though. Baby steps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't be soft, have a cigarette.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I am all in favour of banning smoking anywhere in public, as in California, then that would mean us non smokers getting a seat outside of pubs and coffee bars unlike now, when all are taken up by smokers.

You are the worst sort of person. So entirely selfish. Is it not enough that smokers have be forced out (into the cold and rain) so that you can have you smoke free interiors? Now you want to move them on again? Live and let live. They hurt only themselves and they pay for our healthcare, leave them to it.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
nt

So it's okay to give someone a disease provided you fund the treatment?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So it's okay to give someone a disease provided you fund the treatment?

I think you missed "no-one is arguing that under the current system that secondary smoke is anything more than anti-social"

The science behind secondary smoke in the first place was a little dodgy. There have been many factors that have affected our air quality in the last 30-40 years that aren't smoking related that could easily be increasing levels of smoking related cancers amongst non smokers.

However, there is definately no evidence to suggest that under the current legislslation that secondary smoke remains a carcinogenic factor. And there won't be.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I think you missed "no-one is arguing that under the current system that secondary smoke is anything more than anti-social"

The science behind secondary smoke in the first place was a little dodgy. There have been many factors that have affected our air quality in the last 30-40 years that aren't smoking related that could easily be increasing levels of smoking related cancers amongst non smokers.

However, there is definately no evidence to suggest that under the current legislslation that secondary smoke remains a carcinogenic factor. And there won't be.

It does stink though.

There is plenty of good evidence that non smokers who live with heavy smokers suffer a higher than average incidence of smoking related disease. That is, of course, not true for people who smell a fag being smoked in a park.

As a smoker for many years I am sympathetic to those addicted to it and am dead against further marginalising them but what really grinds my gears is people moaning about e cigarettes which don't stink and do not cause harm to others being used in public places.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It does stink though.

That's what I mean by anti-social. I think it's less anti social than having to deal with drunk people.

There is plenty of good evidence that non smokers who live with heavy smokers suffer a higher than average incidence of smoking related disease. That is, of course, not true for people who smell a fag being smoked in a park.

Agreed

As a smoker for many years I am sympathetic to those addicted to it and am dead against further marginalising them but what really grinds my gears is people moaning about e cigarettes which don't stink and do not cause harm to others being used in public places.

Agreed again. I've just given up myself. I think there's an element of personal crusade around people's attitude to smokers now, the non-smokers (rightly) won. Leave the smokers alone now. It's (literally) their funeral.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here