Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banning Smoking in pubkic places...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is a good idea, but I would like to see them chased the 100 meters, preferably by rabid by dogs.
How lovely and tolerant of you. Perhaps all minority groups should be chased by rabid dogs? Trouble is, once they've finished chasing, they will come back and give you rabies; a quicker way to go than lung cancer, I grant you, but I'd rather risk the deadly peril of walking past someone who is puffing on a cigarette in the huge open spaces of a park.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
How lovely and tolerant of you. Perhaps all minority groups should be chased by rabid dogs? Trouble is, once they've finished chasing, they will come back and give you rabies; a quicker way to go than lung cancer, I grant you, but I'd rather risk the deadly peril of walking past someone who is puffing on a cigarette in the huge open spaces of a park.

On your head be it mate, on your head be it.

(I am a smoker and taking the piss)

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I am now on day 324 of not smoking.

I dont feel healthier.

I dont have more money in my pocket.

Food doesn't taste any better.

The only positive is that I shall probably live longer....cost the country significantly more in health bills, pensions, replacement hips, a permanent home at the Drs surgery and keep pharmacists employed for years to come. As I have paid my tax through tobacco purchases over the years....I,m quite happy about all that extra expense.

PS; Smokers don't 'stink'....they just have a different aroma......one which I like.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I am now on day 324 of not smoking.

I dont feel healthier.

I dont have more money in my pocket.

Food doesn't taste any better.

The only positive is that I shall probably live longer....cost the country significantly more in health bills, pensions, replacement hips, a permanent home at the Drs surgery and keep pharmacists employed for years to come. As I have paid my tax through tobacco purchases over the years....I,m quite happy about all that extra expense.

PS; Smokers don't 'stink'....they just have a different aroma......one which I like.

Not possible unless you were getting the smokes for free..

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This is a good idea, but I would like to see them chased the 100 meters, preferably by rabid by dogs.

'Them' :lol:

Smoking doesn't have as big a bearing on fitness as some like people to believe atall imo

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Every smoking thread on NSC reminds me of how snobby some people on here are and what a lack of empathy message boards like this produce :) Such perfect lives most on here must lead.... :facepalm:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
True that. Long term smoker here, go to gym 2-3 times a week and fitter than I have ever been - certainly fitter than my non-smoker mates.

The health risks of smoking are greatly exaggerated (not justifying it, it is obviously bad for your health and a stupid thing to do). My nan was a heavy smoker from 15 years old to 90 and died of a non-smoking related illness, go figure.

Hard to remember a more stupid, irresponsible, ridiculous quote on NSC.

"The health risks of smoking are greatly exaggerated".

"I smoke and I go to the gym" - oh so that's fine then. I really don't mind spunking a load of my taxes on people like you who are completely in denial because they can't give it up.

Btw - there is an open space smoking ban here in New York and it works brilliantly. Central Park is a far better place for it.

aliakbanrafsanjali

Dec 29, 2012
Yes I am a smoker! But I would like smoking to be banned completely, then all the non smoking people can pay the required shortfall in tax contributions, the smokers will be financially better off and healthier. The non smokers will be the ones penalised!
Hurrah! Bring on the complete ban!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
True that. Long term smoker here, go to gym 2-3 times a week and fitter than I have ever been - certainly fitter than my non-smoker mates.

The health risks of smoking are greatly exaggerated (not justifying it, it is obviously bad for your health and a stupid thing to do). My nan was a heavy smoker from 15 years old to 90 and died of a non-smoking related illness, go figure.

One also hears stories of heavy smokers giving up in their later years and then getting very ill and passing away,almost as if the smoking was somehow keeping them alive..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The intolerance of some on this thread about smelling a bit of smoke whilst out and about makes it seem that the nanny state approach is rubbing off well.

Do you bore people in real life with your little tirades?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Am a non smoker and did not support the pub ban which has contributed to the significant demise of that industry. Back then they could have offered smoking and non smoking pubs so at least people had a choice. This latest move is even more ridiculous and I am becoming seriously disillusioned by this nanny state that is forever legislating against what should be the freedom of personal choices.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
This is ridiculous, yes alcohol is bad, yes maybe I will vomit on you and punch you in the face, but it's not giving you lung cancer though is it.

ridiculous comparison.

No not lung cancer, but drinking too much alcohol can increase your risk of developing certain cancers, including cancers of the:

Mouth
Esophagus
Throat
Liver
Breast

And how many A&E staff have been attacked because someone has been smoking tobacco, compared to those attacked by drunks?

So lets have a complete ban on alcohol.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Also, if you are so worried about your hard earned tax money, consider that smoking costs the NHS around £3bn a year - while tobacco revenue earns the treasury around the same amount. You're really getting angry about nothing in this respect.

You way short of the mark here.

tax revenue from tobacco is around £12bn

Carry On Smoking.......Your Country Needs You!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here