Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portslade Cricket Club

porterr

Jan 7, 2007
The club is going through an amazing journey at the moment, and is currently having its most successful period of its 138 year history. We have 4 adult teams playing at two grounds at Benfield and Victoria Park in Portslade and 8 colts teams ( 8 years ago we had 2 adult teams and 3 colts teams ) The 1XI have been promoted 3 times in the last 4 years and will be playing in the 3rd tier of the Sussex County League in 2015.( the premier league for recreational cricket in the county ) The club is very welcoming and the following will give you some idea of what we are up to:

The club is the lead club in the south of the County for the delivery of Disability Cricket and a number of our younger coaches work closely with colleagues from Sussex CCC to ensure the effective and enjoyable delivery of this.

As mentioned in previous postings we had a very successful ECB Open Day earlier this summer to promote girls cricket

3XI won Div 8 of the West Sussex Invitation League in 2014

Our Club Development Officer won a national award last week ( Nat West OSCA's -Outstanding Service to Cricket Award ) held at Lords for his amazing commitment to the club and the local community

Our Youth Development Officer is currently in Africa working with a charity called Cricket without Boundaries which helps promote cricket in Africa and increases awareness of HIV

8 of our current 1XI have come through the Colts system

We have a dedicated and committed number of people who ensure that the club is moving in the right direction, and the success we have had on the field is being recognised not just in the city, but around the county as well. We have some exciting plans for the next few years and we are forging partnerships with the local community and local businesses which will hopefully continue the success we have luckily had over the last few years

Outside cricket the club is a very sociable one with events happening throughout the year and most evening in the summer you will find the bar open with members and friends enjoying a drink after work etc.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
They weren't 'orrible when I played for them in 70's, 80's and 90's. Good social and cracking tours.
RIP Roy and Lee Shepherd.

Maybe it all changed a bit when they left Victoria Park and moved up to Sainsburys.

To be fair mine is from 10 years ago. The club i used to play for cancelled their sunday friendly fixture with them. Just not a very nice bunch. However things change.

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
was Basil Parker playing for them? he was friendly.............
Was 16 and still at school when I played for Portslade and Basil was in the side. My Dad had told me about him so kept well away and always with bat in hand.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The club is going through an amazing journey at the moment, and is currently having its most successful period of its 138 year history. We have 4 adult teams playing at two grounds at Benfield and Victoria Park in Portslade and 8 colts teams ( 8 years ago we had 2 adult teams and 3 colts teams ) The 1XI have been promoted 3 times in the last 4 years and will be playing in the 3rd tier of the Sussex County League in 2015.( the premier league for recreational cricket in the county ) The club is very welcoming and the following will give you some idea of what we are up to:

The club is the lead club in the south of the County for the delivery of Disability Cricket and a number of our younger coaches work closely with colleagues from Sussex CCC to ensure the effective and enjoyable delivery of this.

As mentioned in previous postings we had a very successful ECB Open Day earlier this summer to promote girls cricket

Our Club Development Officer won a national award last week ( Nat West OSCA's -Outstanding Service to Cricket Award ) held at Lords for his amazing commitment to the club and the local community

Our Youth Development Officer is currently in Africa working with a charity called Cricket without Boundaries which helps promote cricket in Africa and increases awareness of HIV

We have a dedicated and committed number of people who ensure that the club is moving in the right direction, and the success we have had on the field is being recognised not just in the city, but around the county as well. We have some exciting plans for the next few years and we are forging partnerships with the local community and local businesses which will hopefully continue the success we have luckily had over the last few years

Outside cricket the club is a very sociable one with events happening throughout the year and most evening in the summer you will find the bar open with members and friends enjoying a drink after work etc.

Excellent work.

Quite happy to admit that my own memories of playing against PCC are 25 years old.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Glad to hear it. I'm going on 15-20 year old recollections. We were very happy when we moved leagues and didn't have to play them again.

Proof though, that mud sticks. Especially in the cricket world. Anyone played Newhaven recently? I bet they've changed as well, they would have had to or no one would have played for them.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I can confirm Portslade CC are a smashing and go-ahead club these days, the U15 team I coach having been pipped to the Div 2 League by a very strong Portslade team. We are looking forward to seeking revenge in Div1 next summer! They also kindly hosted the annual friendly match my Sunday team play in memory of a cricketing friend and teammate, including providing decent hot food to everyone at a very reasonable price.

On the subject of Ray Wells, he turned up at Denton when my Sunday team were playing there and did some 'look at me' umpiring. Still looks like a Happy Mondays reject.

PG

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A really great community club that provides plenty of opportunities for youngster . Like most amateur sports clubs it depends on dedicated volunteers.

My daughter took part on the ECB open day which was great and well run.

You're description of the club is much closer to my first impressions attending with my son (8) and daughter (10) over the summer this year, than some of the other comments. My son can't wait for next season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here