Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Workplace woes - The most dullest courses in the world ever.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Firm mandatory training on :
-competition law
-data privacy
-complaint handling
-how to deliver staff performance reviews
...etc.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Forget bad courses, surely the worst experiences are where some of the 'higher ups' get as many people into a room as they can and tell them why everything is awesome (but it could be better, of course), with some incredibly unconvincing 'we're all friends here!' dialogue. Happily, they do usually sod off again for another year or two afterwards but my god it's excrutiating.

Never motivating, always patronising and a painful waste of time.

Oh, as a special mention, there is a special level of hell reserved for anyone that runs a course that requires, at some point, everyone to split into groups with a flipchart and pen.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Forget bad courses, surely the worst experiences are where some of the 'higher ups' get as many people into a room as they can and tell them why everything is awesome (but it could be better, of course), with some incredibly unconvincing 'we're all friends here!' dialogue. Happily, they do usually sod off again for another year or two afterwards but my god it's excrutiating.

Never motivating, always patronising and a painful waste of time.

Oh, as a special mention, there is a special level of hell reserved for anyone that runs a course that requires, at some point, everyone to split into groups with a flipchart and pen.

At least with that you can switch off all together and there's someone in the group who will come up with all the right answers. As long as you are first to say...'who wants to write?' which guarantees you don't have to write.

I had a recent team building exercise that involved cutting sticking, glitter and pipe cleaners to demonstrate a key competency....now that IS hell.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
At least with that you can switch off all together and there's someone in the group who will come up with all the right answers. As long as you are first to say...'who wants to write?' which guarantees you don't have to write.

I had a recent team building exercise that involved cutting sticking, glitter and pipe cleaners to demonstrate a key competency....now that IS hell.

Ah, but have you ever had to use teamwork to create a free standing model of a horse using just an A4 piece of paper and one hand from each participant?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Can't agree with this. Donoghue v Stephenson? Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company? Love these guys.......

Did I get a thumbs down for misspelling Stevenson, or for giving a massive shout-out to the cases that established English tort law and contract law respectively? I defy anybody not to enjoy the former - involves an Italian ice cream parlour, a snail and a bottle of ginger beer.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Did I get a thumbs down for misspelling Stevenson, or for giving a massive shout-out to the cases that established English tort law and contract law respectively? I defy anybody not to enjoy the former - involves an Italian ice cream parlour, a snail and a bottle of ginger beer.

The way our 'expert trainer' described every detail of the former, in the most excruciating monotone.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Anything with fecking role play. It's bad enough being sent on the course even worse when you have to look interested and get involved - I for one can guarantee that bollocking someone in a roleplay is nothing like in real life.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I've just thought....something that bugs me so much....'learning interventions' is the new 'course' buzzword.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

I want to hear the story now!!!!

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Can we please include any course that also includes splitting into groups and role playing sales person and customer:shootself

Just noticed goring gull beat me to it....

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I want to hear the story now!!!!

Ok Worthingite - just for you! Edited from Wikipedia:

On the evening of Sunday 26 August 1928, during the Glasgow Trades Holiday, May Donoghue, a Glasweigan divorcee in her thirties, took a train to Paisley, Renfrewshire, located seven miles west of Glasgow, where she went to the Wellmeadow Café. At approximately 20:50 a friend, who may have travelled with Donoghue, was with her and ordered a pear and ice for herself and a Scotsman ice cream float, a mix of ice cream and ginger beer, for Donoghue. The owner of the café, Francis Minghella, brought over a tumbler of ice cream and poured ginger beer on it from a brown and opaque bottle labelled "D. Stevenson, Glen Lane, Paisley". Donoghue drank some of the ice cream float. However, when Donoghue's friend poured the remaining ginger beer into the tumbler, a decomposed snail also floated out of the bottle. Donoghue claimed that she felt ill from this sight, complaining of abdominal pain. According to her later statements of facts, she was required to consult a doctor on 29 August and was admitted to Glasgow Royal Infirmary for "emergency treatment" on 16 September. She was subsequently diagnosed with severe gastroenteritis and shock.

The ginger beer had been manufactured by David Stevenson, who ran a company named after his identically-named father and produced both ginger beer and lemonade at 11 and 12 Glen Lane, Paisley, less than a mile away from the Wellmeadow Café. The contact details for the ginger beer manufacturer were on the bottle label and recorded by Donoghue's friend.

Donoghue sued Stevenson. The court decided against Stevenson, and thereby established the modern legal concept of negligence.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Definitely the old "Health and Safety in the Workplace".

A whole afternoon of boring tedium for what is, after all, just common sense.

But the best of all was when our new manager decided to get us all together to give us a pep talk about the company's new message statement.

She insisted on using the words "our special purpose". She'd obviously never watched Steve Martin's film, The Jerk.
All we could do after those words were uttered each time was crease up with laughter. Don't think she was impressed.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can't agree with this. Donoghue v Stephenson? Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company? Love these guys.......

Ah. You misunderstand. I love a bit of Case Law as much as the next man. It's the rules regarding incorporation, what defines a quorum, filing days after year end etc......zzzzzzzz

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My building site SafePass is expiring in a few weeks

I've had to be on ONE "building site" since I last renewed it and considering it was a completed shopping centre right down to the car park plants being planted, I didn't really feel like the full day of tedium in a hotel with a bunch of builders was worth it. But I've been told I need to renew it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here