Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If and When Wayne Rooney becomes both Englands most capped player and top scorer

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I always think that Rooney would benefit from doing a Scholes and dropping back into central midfield. Sadly I don't think he would have the discipline to do it. He just strikes me as neither being a traditional 'number 9' or a 'number 10' type player, but he does have good vision and workrate so could potentially be an effective midfield player.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My only gripe with him being captain, is the worry that it makes him undroppable - which on the showing of this weekend, he certainly should not be.

But turn that on its head - who in that side is so outstanding that they SHOULD be guaranteed their place every game?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Indeed. We all know he won't be dropped anyway, I'm not sure I remember the last time he had a good game just looks a distinctly average player to me. Think about past England captains, some inspirational great leaders, now we have Rooney who isn't even a natural leader on the pitch :facepalm:

I have several issues with the England captaincy.

1. They are ALWAYS undroppable;
2. They are elevated to some kind of mystical leader (Gerrard/Terry/Beckham being most recent);
3. They are usually the best player rather than the best captain;

With Rooney though, what grates is that he just always get what he wants. £300k a week, the United captaincy, the England captaincy and his conduct has never been that of a captain in my opinion.

THAT SAID... If and when he becomes our most capped player and our top goalscorer, then fair play to him. It takes a special kind of player to have that level of a) longevity and b) goalscoring at an international level. He deserves recognition for such milestones irrespective of any other external factors.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Only Hart really- not because he is outstanding but through lack of an alternative.

I like Hart and he is a good keeper but is he REALLY that much better than Forster or Foster? 2 or 3 years ago I though he was the real deal but he doesn't seem to have progressed. In the Prem I certainly rate Courtois, Lloris and De Gea more highly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But turn that on its head - who in that side is so outstanding that they SHOULD be guaranteed their place every game?

Nobody is guaranteed a place, beyond Hart. Cahill is probably the closest, and he would be my choice.

I don't really like the cult of the England captain, tbh - its completely pointless, and just gives the manager an unecessary headache - he knows if the chosen captain is ever left out, it will always be a big DRAMA.

I prefer the Italian system, where they just pick a side, and whoever has the most caps gets given the armband.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't think Rooney's all that but I can't see who you'd play instead of him.At least he scores. Sturridge doesn't look half as good in an England shirt as he does in a Liverpool shirt

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Nobody is guaranteed a place, beyond Hart. Cahill is probably the closest, and he would be my choice.

I don't really like the cult of the England captain, tbh - its completely pointless, and just gives the manager an unecessary headache - he knows if the chosen captain is ever left out, it will always be a big DRAMA.

I prefer the Italian system, where they just pick a side, and whoever has the most caps gets given the armband.

It does help that their most capped players of recent years are Nesta, Buffon, Maldini, Pirlo, Cannavaro whereas ours would be Rooney and Milner

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It does help that their most capped players of recent years are Nesta, Buffon, Maldini, Pirlo, Cannavaro whereas ours would be Rooney and Milner

I take your point, but it doesn't make a difference in my mind - my point is that if the manager wanted to leave out Nesta, then Pirlo got the armband - If Pirlo wasn't up to two games in four days, he could be rested and Cannavaro takes it, etc. Whereas in our system, whoever it currently is - as soon as they are left out its a MASSIVE unecessary big deal.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I take your point, but it doesn't make a difference in my mind - my point is that if the manager wanted to leave out Nesta, then Pirlo got the armband - If Pirlo wasn't up to two games in four days, he could be rested and Cannavaro takes it, etc. Whereas in our system, whoever it currently is - as soon as they are left out its a MASSIVE unecessary big deal.

I agree but the way the media works in this country, if we were to move to the most experienced player route, it would be portrayed as a slap in the face of whomever they deem to be next in line. The simple fact is that the captaincy is too big a deal for what it actually is and as things stand we have very few captains who are actually leaders on the pitch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree but the way the media works in this country, if we were to move to the most experienced player route, it would be portrayed as a slap in the face of whomever they deem to be next in line.

Only for that one next time though, and then its dealt with, forever more

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
To me he will always be an absolute over hyped overrated, money grabber with an over inflated ego.

Yes he will go down as Englands top goal scorer but the majority of goals were against very poor opponents, and by always being put in the main team from an early age no matter how poor he is.

I will also remember his performance during the 2010 world cup. He had the touch of a rapist. Shocking.. He looked like a fat pie eating sunday pub team player.

The sooner he retires the better.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To me he will always be an absolute over hyped overrated, money grabber with an over inflated ego.

Yes he will go down as Englands top goal scorer but the majority of goals were against very poor opponents, and by always being put in the main team from an early age no matter how poor he is.

I will also remember his performance during the 2010 world cup. He had the touch of a rapist. Shocking.. He looked like a fat pie eating sunday pub team player.

The sooner he retires the better.

The likes of Greaves and Charlton filled their boots vs your Luxembourgs as well you know.

Lineker got a hattrick in the 8-0 Turkey-shoot when they were shite, as well as many other minnows. They weren't ALL against Germany and Argentina.

You might not like Rooney as a person or a player, but to deride his goalscoring record at the top level is churlish and ridiculous.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You might not like Rooney as a person or a player, but to deride his goalscoring record at the top level is churlish and ridiculous.

But this is the point, he doesn't score at the top level. He has one goal from 3 World Cup finals. He is the most red-carded England player though.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Very good player, England's best since Scholes. Hasn't quite gone on to be as good as we all hoped he would. Suffered from ridiculous expectations from fans. Hope he gets the record, good luck to him.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
2004 great white hope, 2006 Silly dope sent off and probably got us knocked out, 2010 Couldn't even trap the ball, 2012 Yet another poor to mediocre performance, 2014 A bit better but had he been sharper, could have got us a bit further. A very good player though not really world class. Could have done better when it mattered but sure you can't take the records away. For me 7.5 out of 10 but 10 years ago was expecting 9.5 out of 10.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
One of my pet hates is people comparing plays from two completely different eras, how many games finish 10-6 now?

it was much easier to score in those days.

So who can you compare him with...if you want to talk about him breaking the goal scoring record then you can only compare him what has gone before him...goals are goals...even Bobby Smith the ex England forward didn't end up our top scorer in 1964...whatever the opposition you still have to get the ball in the net...and game for game...Jimmy Greaves was superior.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But this is the point, he doesn't score at the top level. He has one goal from 3 World Cup finals. He is the most red-carded England player though.

43 International goals and 30-odd Champions League goals isn't scoring at the top level ?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
43 International goals and 30-odd Champions League goals isn't scoring at the top level ?

Of course it is but what he means is top top level for England ie tournaments .

Charlton = World Cup winner
Linekar = World Cup semi and World Cup golden boot

Just bit annoying he will have the record without even getting near the 2 achievements above .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here