Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorists Respect the Law

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Stop the car or wait.

I know that both suggestions are absolutely outrageous in a culture where the majority of people seem to have developed a "must answer the phone when it rings regardless of circumstances" behaviour but it's a question of retraining unthoughtful or bad habits.

Hopefully it won't be too long before phones won't work in moving cars and all cars are automatically restricted to the speed limit.

Just as a matter of interest do you drive much?

D

Deleted member 22389

Stop the car or wait.

I know that both suggestions are absolutely outrageous in a culture where the majority of people seem to have developed a "must answer the phone when it rings regardless of circumstances" behaviour but it's a question of retraining unthoughtful or bad habits.

Hopefully it won't be too long before phones won't work in moving cars and all cars are automatically restricted to the speed limit.

That's the problem these days, must answer just incase its an emergency.

How about mobile phones are locked whilst driving. If you need to get through to the driver for a real emergency you dial a special code on top of the persons mobile number. The driver is then alerted with a special ringtone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That's the problem these days, must answer just incase its an emergency.

How about mobile phones are locked whilst driving. If you need to get through to the driver for a real emergency you dial a special code on top of the persons mobile number. The driver is then alerted with a special ringtone.

But it was in reply to a query over passengers...why cant they answer a phone?...one could be stuck for days on the M25.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Just as a matter of interest do you drive much?

I do about 15k a year now, a few years ago it used to be double that. My phone often rings whilst I'm driving; I just let it and answer either when convenient to stop or when I arrive at my destination.

I suppose I grew up without the ability to make & receive personal phone calls on the go and I've never developed the craving for that form of instant personal gratification!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Am i missing something here? has the law changed in that its illegal to use your phone when driving?
I have a fully functional integrated full surround sound hands free kit, have they been outlawed?
Or are we just talking about those that use them holding them in their hands like cyclists do?

On the speed issue very simply fit a cheap tracker box like the youngsters have in the their cars for cheaper insurance.
It GPS so know where it is, what the speed limit is and what the speed the car is doing. So fines could be sent out very quickly and easily in the same way camera's are operated with no human interaction necessary.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Ah let me see, how about missiles to take out all communication satellites that should take care of that problem, then small charges set inside vehicle tyres with sensors along the side of the roads, the moment the vehicle speeds above the set limit for that particular carriageway "bosch" flat tyres no more problems except for the inconvenience of other road users having to negotiate around untold amounts of unusable vehicles stretching along the sides of the roads. Solutions a? creating even more problems, back to the drawing board.

dont waste too much time on this as surrey albion is working on it as i type.
popping out for some brekky now so presumably he will have cracked by the time i return :thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Realistically, what would need to happen so that motorists didn't use phones or break speed limit?
Cyclists are the problem
[emoji468] [emoji598] [emoji590] [emoji597] [emoji603] [emoji604] [emoji600] [emoji594] [emoji595] [emoji592]

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Realistically, what would need to happen so that motorists didn't use phones or break speed limit?
Cyclists are the problem
[emoji468] [emoji598] [emoji590] [emoji597] [emoji603] [emoji604] [emoji600] [emoji594] [emoji595] [emoji592]

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Whislt technically he may have been right, they are in a queue of traffic going nowhere!!!!!
Still illegal. I've read of people being done for doing the same as the WPC. I believe it's pull over, engine off and key out before you should use the phone.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Just get the technology in and get it done, if drivers phone has been used during a journey, hands free or otherwise, automatic long ban. That'll do it......

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Seriously, if I am unable to use my fully integrated hands free kit to take important work calls while I am on the road working, and then also have to be tracked so I cannot ever break the speed limit regardless of the time and place they can have my licence back now.

Some serious pretentiousness on this thread regarding speeding but I fully agree the penalty for hand held phone use is clearly not sufficient.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The simple but unpopular answer would be more cameras or other electronic device. I can stand in South Rd Haywards Heath by the roundabout to Sussex Rd for 10 mins and will see at least 6 vehicles go past or round the roundabout with drivers on the phone, not hands free. In the majority of cases it is van drivers and lorries especially tipper lorries but that is generalising.

Having witnessed on here quite how much you whined when you were quite legitimately caught speeding, I dread to think what your reaction would be if you found yourself nabbed for using your phone while driving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here