Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any electricians out there? Please?

Flex Your Head

Very frustrated.

Finally got round to replacing the ceiling light in the living room. Wired it up, turned the mains on again and, let there be light. Sure enough there was plenty of light, however, when I flicked the light switch to turn them off, they refused to comply and stayed on.

Checked it out on the net and a dodgy lightswitch seemed to be the likely culprit. So, off to B&Q, bought a new switch, mains off, wired it up, mains back on, lights back on, but still they won't switch off.

Please, has anyone got ideas what to try next?

Thanks a lot.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Very frustrated.

Finally got round to replacing the ceiling light in the living room. Wired it up, turned the mains on again and, let there be light. Sure enough there was plenty of light, however, when I flicked the light switch to turn them off, they refused to comply and stayed on.

Checked it out on the net and a dodgy lightswitch seemed to be the likely culprit. So, off to B&Q, bought a new switch, mains off, wired it up, mains back on, lights back on, but still they won't switch off.

Please, has anyone got ideas what to try next?

Thanks a lot.

Ok, in the ceiling rose you will probably have 3 reds (if the wiring is over 12 years old) and 3 blacks.....the 3 reds go together, ONE of the 3 blacks is a switch wire (comes up from the switch) and goes in the live terminal, the other TWO blacks go in the neutral.....sounds like your light is permanently fed because of this problem.
When it was wired a red tape should have been put around the black coming up from the switch......if on further inspection you have lumped this wire in with the other blacks, then your light will stay on.
So......3 reds together, TWO blacks go in the NEUTRAL of the fitting/ceiling rose....and the SWITCH wire (BLACK) goes in the LIVE terminal of the fitting/ceiling rose.

Flex Your Head

Ok, in the ceiling rose you will probably have 3 reds (if the wiring is over 12 years old) and 3 blacks.....the 3 reds go together, ONE of the 3 blacks is a switch wire (comes up from the switch) and goes in the live terminal, the other TWO blacks go in the neutral.....sounds like your light is permanently fed because of this problem.
When it was wired a red tape should have been put around the black coming up from the switch......if on further inspection you have lumped this wire in with the other blacks, then your light will stay on.
So......3 reds together, TWO blacks go in the NEUTRAL of the fitting/ceiling rose....and the SWITCH wire (BLACK) goes in the LIVE terminal of the fitting/ceiling rose.

Many thanks for the reply. Will have to wait till the morning when the light returns to take a look, so will update the thread then.

If there's no update, please send an ambulance :)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm not a sparks but I understand electrics, had a call from my mate one day saying the loft light he'd fitted wasn't working. I asked him how he'd connected it and he said he'd opened a box by the trap hatch, found a live using a meter and tapped into that. Turns out he'd tapped into the "triple & earth" that turned the landing light on, so his loft light only worked if the upstairs switch was down :facepalm:

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I'm not a sparks but I understand electrics, had a call from my mate one day saying the loft light he'd fitted wasn't working. I asked him how he'd connected it and he said he'd opened a box by the trap hatch, found a live using a meter and tapped into that. Turns out he'd tapped into the "triple & earth" that turned the landing light on, so his loft light only worked if the upstairs switch was down :facepalm:

If he picked up the feed from the landing light switch then how did he pick up the neutral for the loft light?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If he picked up the feed from the landing light switch then how did he pick up the neutral for the loft light?

No idea, I told him I wasn't going to mess about with it and to get a qualified electrician in to fix it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here