Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dad's Army.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If I'm reading t'internet correctly, the costume design will be done by my next door but one neighbour.

She's good at that sort of thing.

Nice to see you back on NSC.

Maybe you could settle the discussion on here about where Walmington on sea was supposed to be set, Kent or Sussex.
Many referrals to Eastbourne and but the troop had Kent Invicta badges.
Would be interesting to see if they copy the uniform from the series and maybe the costume designer will have some inside information.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
For me the big question mark in all this is how the actors are going to be directed.

The actors will want to bring their own interpretation of the characters, yet the audiences will be wanting to see impressions of the originals - which is essentially why all the actors cast look a bit (or in some cases, a lot) like the the original cast.

In the end, nobody - neither cast nor audience - will be entirely satisfied with the end result and everybody will decide that the original was the best because as with many things it is about a time and a place and a chemistry that cannot be recreated.

However, loads of people - including me - will queue up to see it - so the real winners will be the studio and that was probably the whole point all along.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I really like the idea of Bill Nighy as Sgt Wilson, but John Le Mesurier was just sublime in the part.

100% spot on.

If I was a multi-Oscar award winning actor, commanding $20bn just for reading a script and had studios begging me to star in their movies - I wouldn't touch the Sgt Wilson role with a barge pole. How do you improve on absolute perfection? To even try seems disrespectful.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
At least this film will be a new script. The original film was really just a compilation of scenes from episodes up to that point.

My favourite episode is probably the one where they were trapped in the water pumping station.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
At least this film will be a new script. The original film was really just a compilation of scenes from episodes up to that point.

My favourite episode is probably the one where they were trapped in the water pumping station.

Asleep in the Deep, that is also my personal favourite :thumbsup:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It's a good solid British cast and will be written by someone in touch with British humour who will, no doubt, be expected to produce a film up to the standard of the original series. I'm optimistic that it will be a good film, it's not as if they are going to do an Italian Job and relocate it to Los Angeles. It is possible ( sometimes) to recreate a well loved original, put a new spin on it but keep the original core such as the rebooted Star Trek.

There have been some pretty awful remakes, one of the worst was Richard Burton and Sophia Loren trying to recreate "Brief Encounter" in the mid 1970's.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Most of it was filmed in East Anglia though.. there was a famous shot at the end of the film when they're on Beachy Head though..or was it Seaford Head?
Not where it was filmed the place it was based on. Looking at fictitious maps there are a lot of similarities to bexhill. Galley Hill on the right hand side, the main street going up a hill from the sea front etc.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Not where it was filmed the place it was based on. Looking at fictitious maps there are a lot of similarities to bexhill. Galley Hill on the right hand side, the main street going up a hill from the sea front etc.

The outside scenes were definitely filmed in Thetford, Norfolk.
I've been to the Museum there and its also mentioned ina number of books.

one of the biggest problems for them was getting them access to houses to tape up the windows. They got round this by putting a reel of tape through the letter box along with a pound note and this seemed to get done.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No worries.

I assumed you were referring to the actual belief that the programme was cursed in that the cast died young. :lolol:

Whenever a cast member dies, the press will go on and on about only Ian Lavendar being left etc.. etc...

The only one who died young was Private Walker. I think it's also influenced by the fact that John Le Mesurier carried on playing the part when he was obviously very ill.

The show's curse was a long running theme in the earlier days of Viz.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The only problem I see is that the only character that Bill Nighy can play is Bill Nighy. Granted, he does it well, and in most films it works, but not a great character actor. I couldn't tell you the name of literally any of his characters in any films I've seen him in, I just think "Bill Nighy"

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
However in one episode the disembark from a train turn Left at the platform end onto the road (or was it right) three left or right turns later back at the station,doesnt look like Weybourne ?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The only problem I see is that the only character that Bill Nighy can play is Bill Nighy. Granted, he does it well, and in most films it works, but not a great character actor. I couldn't tell you the name of literally any of his characters in any films I've seen him in, I just think "Bill Nighy"
Sure. The problem with modern actors is that many are put on a pedestal to the extent that you end for example going to see The Bill Nighy show rather than the character, so it's difficult to get totally absorbed in the plot and charters. That's why compelling TV dramas are better without house hold names.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here