Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bus lanes

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Hence my point Lord B the council must have looked at this and thought thats fine . If its aim is to make Brighton Cleaner all it will do is block a major routeway out of the centre of Brighton and hold traffic up mush as buses do in St James st . If its aim is to reduce Traffic in Edward St as it has in St James St , then where is the traffic to go travelling East ? Or are we not supposed to drive at all ?

I think you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist!

Seeing as Edward Street is a major route for ambulances/fire engines to get through to the hospital/Kemp Town/East Brighton I'm sure it won't be clogged up. The bus lane goes down Edward Street, yes there is a lonely bus stop on the Amex side, two services per day. 27c and 73 (school bus), that's it! Buses won't be re-routed from St James Street unless the road is closed for any reason (Gay Pride etc)

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
The Greens are a bunch of idiotic clowns. Embarrassing how bad they are.

We'll all be riding recycled bicycles to work soon adhering to a 4mph speed limit. T*ats

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As that was a month or so after the Greens came to power had this not already been mooted by the previous administration?

And, as a further thought, if the 'main' parties are so set against this and, indeed, any other of the Greens schemes why have we heard barely a whimper out of them?!

Is the fact not that, by and large, the other parties are in broad agreement with many of the schemes the Greens have brought to fruition but are happy for them to take the stick in the resultant, hopefully temporary, chaos?

For the last three years the other two parties in Brighton have stood by and let them take the flack for a number of issues they themselves were very much party to.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
...if the 'main' parties are so set against this and, indeed, any other of the Greens schemes why have we heard barely a whimper out of them?!

Is the fact not that, by and large, the other parties are in broad agreement with many of the schemes the Greens have brought to fruition but are happy for them to take the stick in the resultant, hopefully temporary, chaos?

Indeed

The Greens do have a heavy hand in Brighton transport planning, but there is so much miss-information circulated about things they are 'responsible' for. It's a frustration to see that sometimes people can be uninclined to take a real interest in how the town is run, and where the decision making process originates.

Indeed. And bang on cue here's one of the misinformed
The Greens are a bunch of idiotic clowns. Embarrassing how bad they are.

We'll all be riding recycled bicycles to work soon adhering to a 4mph speed limit. T*ats

You really think people would engage brains before commenting but it is a forlorn hope

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I think you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist!

Seeing as Edward Street is a major route for ambulances/fire engines to get through to the hospital/Kemp Town/East Brighton I'm sure it won't be clogged up. The bus lane goes down Edward Street, yes there is a lonely bus stop on the Amex side, two services per day. 27c and 73 (school bus), that's it! Buses won't be re-routed from St James Street unless the road is closed for any reason (Gay Pride etc)

So why make it a bus lane then if no buses are going to use it ? surely thats creating the problem and a massive waste of expenditure

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Putting aside if the actual aim is right or wrong surely by making cars queue up behind a bus you are making the road more congested and also slowing buses down ? The logic just doesn't seem to stack up.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
where is the traffic to go travelling East ? Or are we not supposed to drive at all ?

Currently the 'city' should be called RatRun & Hove. So many pedestrians hemmed in on crossings, or buses and taxis forced to queue alongside the one-man-one-car who gets the run of the place whether going east to west or south to north. Its a shit state of affairs and the more the private motorists is sent the long way round to leave the town for the rest of us the better. IMHO, like.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Yes, thank you, Bracknell.
Now will you please go and rest!!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As that was a month or so after the Greens came to power had this not already been mooted by the previous administration?

And, as a further thought, if the 'main' parties are so set against this and, indeed, any other of the Greens schemes why have we heard barely a whimper out of them?!

Strange don't you think that the incumbent party always claims the successes that happen during their tenure however little input they had yet always try and push the blame elsewhere for unpopular policies or failures ? And before you get all precious about the Greens, that statement holds true for ALL the parties.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Because bus stops in laybys are car priority measures. These days, the fashion is for bus priority measures.

Therefore deliberately causing additional hold-ups and congestion for every road user, be they car, bus or bike.

Its genius.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thought there was a cycle lane there, but no bus lane?

Having cycled up there earlier on, I can confirm two things. On the way up the hill there is a cycle lane and then one lane for other vehicles (coming down the hill is yet to be finished but that'll be a bus lane and another lane). The second thing is that there is a MARKED difference between the new cycle lane and cycling up the far side, it's definitely a steeper ascent than it is descent. Worth mentioning for other cyclists!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I didn't know about all this so I went down to have a look.

The bus stop is in the cycle lane, so cars, when the bus stops, can still pass by. It's the cyclists who will have to wait. There is room for a layby - in fact there is one - but that looks like it's for delivery vehicles for Amex.

In answer to the OP's second point, according to the council, there will be additional bus routes (23, 38 and 48).

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I didn't know about all this so I went down to have a look.

The bus stop is in the cycle lane, so cars, when the bus stops, can still pass by. It's the cyclists who will have to wait. There is room for a layby - in fact there is one - but that looks like it's for delivery vehicles for Amex.

In answer to the OP's second point, according to the council, there will be additional bus routes (23, 38 and 48).

Regarding the bus routes you quoted, these actually exist now. They are part of the funding for the Better Bus Area (increased frequency). But, they will not be going into Edward Street!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Strange don't you think that the incumbent party always claims the successes that happen during their tenure however little input they had yet always try and push the blame elsewhere for unpopular policies or failures ? And before you get all precious about the Greens, that statement holds true for ALL the parties.

You are, of course, correct - but, so we are clear, your original point about the money coming in in June 2011 was an attempt to beat up the Green Party about the Edward Street roadworks which in fact the main parties seem to back - if only by their silence!

You may not agree with them but in their time in office the Greens have actually got on and done a helluva lot
Seven Dials
Station approach/ Queens Road
Lewes Road
Vogue gyratory
Edward Street
Open Market/ London Road
Circus Street
Seafront arches west of Alfrescos
Even the plans for Valley Gardens and Palace Pier roundabout are....errr 'adventurous'!!

Now these may not be to everyone's taste but sat on their hands the Greens have not - and I would hope all of these will have LONG TERM benefits!

It's just that the Luddites can't get their heads round them yet!! 

Edit - I accept too that some of these MAY have been in the offing for a while!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hands up all on here who think, when the greens are voted out of office eventually, the next ruling party will reverse all the green's changes they have made, ie cycle lanes this bus stop stuff etc, and restore the city to how it was?

Not a chance in hell!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here