Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brilliant stuff from David Cameron today

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Talking shit. It's always been the case and always will be. What do you suggest, Cleaners take home the same pay as bricklayers?

Everyone takes home a living wage will be the starting point.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Talking shit. It's always been the case and always will be. What do you suggest, Cleaners take home the same pay as bricklayers?

No, I'd suggest that handing the most wealthy a huge tax break, while cutting benefits to the most needy, is not fairness.

And that's a bizarre conclusion you drew from my comment BTW.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The pledge to whack up the Personal Allowance and Higher Rate tax band could have come straight from the Lib Dem manifesto

The Lib Dems are the first to think about increasing personal allowances and raising the higher rate tax band? That surprises me.

Great news about abolishing zero hour contracts though. Better than great, that's outstandingly good news.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The rich get richer, the most desperate pay the rice - Fairness, tory style. Same old nasties.

Increasing the personal allowance by 20% will benefit the lowest paid far more than the rich.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I too would like to now how this is going to be paid for, but I think I can guess. VAT always goes up on the Tory watch and no government ever shows any interest in reducing it significantly, although various Labour administrations have tinkered a bit. Here are the facts:

1973 10% (Tory government)
1977 8% but 12.5% for luxury goods (Labour government)
1979 15% (Tory government)
1991 17.5% (Tory government)
1997 17.5% but reduced to 5-8% for energy saving/smoking cessation and other (Labour government)
2010 20% (Tory government)

And in case he hasn't realised, he's in power now. So why haven't zero hour contracts been abolished already?

So forgive me if I don't swallow the piggy-eyed git's bullshit, hook line and sinker.

Very much this. And VAT hits the most poor in society hardest. Taking from the poor to finance the more wealthy. Same old nasty party.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
TBH none of the leaders fill me with great confidence.
Ed is clearly out of his depth just running a party let alone a country and is a bit of a blundering fool.
David seems to talk the talk and they were left with a massive mess to sort out which they are seemly trying to do.
Clegg. Lol

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yay! That was a big one on my bingo card. I get extra credit because it comes from you too. Cheers, HT!

A pleasure. I cannot think of a better way to describe Cameron's inward and backward plans though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I too would like to now how this is going to be paid for, but I think I can guess. VAT always goes up on the Tory watch and no government ever shows any interest in reducing it significantly, although various Labour administrations have tinkered a bit. Here are the facts:

1973 10% (Tory government)
1977 8% but 12.5% for luxury goods (Labour government)
1979 15% (Tory government)
1991 17.5% (Tory government)
1997 17.5% but reduced to 5-8% for energy saving/smoking cessation and other (Labour government)
2010 20% (Tory government)

And in case he hasn't realised, he's in power now. So why haven't zero hour contracts been abolished already?

So forgive me if I don't swallow the piggy-eyed git's bullshit, hook line and sinker.

Very much this. And VAT hits the most poor in society hardest. Taking from the poor to finance the more wealthy. Same old nasty party.

But we'll just ignore that the EU has been pressuring member states for years to standardise VAT rates and the most common being 20%. If you want VAT to go down the only way it will happen is if we leave the EU.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd quite like to vote for a party that says something like this:

* We'll attempt to get the deficit down, but much like a 25 year mortgage there really is no hurry as long as we can service it. The national debt is not a major issue when you consider the infrastructure we have, which is essentially our "equity" on this debt.
* We're going to keep income tax roughly what it is.
* We're going to reduce VAT gradually over a ten year period because we realise it is obscene.
* We won't pander to the loud minority who want to decimate our trading links with the EU
* We're going to pay for this by keeping our noses out of wars that we have absolutely no business getting involved in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But we'll just ignore that the EU has been pressuring member states for years to standardise VAT rates and the most common being 20%. If you want VAT to go down the only way it will happen is if we leave the EU.

I never said I wanted it to go down. I don't want it raised further which history suggests the Tory's might do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's a shame. Your lack of imagination saddens me.

What's the point of coming up with a new term? Every understands Little Englander.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here