Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Message To All Championship Goalies

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Distribution is a secondary aspect of keeping. If it was so important, we should've re-signed Spanish Dave to play in goal.

Stockdale is crap compared to Kuszczak (before his loss of form last spring).

Well it's not much of an argument if you agree that TK let his form drop right off, is it?

Stockdale is far from "crap". He's made a couple of mistakes, simple as that. Dunk dropped an absolute howler with that second half header to Pilkington last night and by all accounts, was fairly poor at Brentford. Yet I'm not seeing a thread slating him (quite right too).

If these players never made mistakes, they wouldn't be playing for us: they'd be playing in the top half of the Premier League.

Give the guy a chance, that's all. Let's not destroy him.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well it's not much of an argument if you agree that TK let his form drop right off, is it?

Stockdale is far from "crap". He's made a couple of mistakes, simple as that. Dunk dropped an absolute howler with that second half header to Pilkington last night and by all accounts, was fairly poor at Brentford. Yet I'm not seeing a thread slating him (quite right too).

If these players never made mistakes, they wouldn't be playing for us: they'd be playing in the top half of the Premier League.

Give the guy a chance, that's all. Let's not destroy him.

Ok put it this way: Stockdale has mostly been poor in the 11 games he's played. Dunk has mostly been outstanding.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ok put it this way: Stockdale has mostly been poor in the 11 games he's played. Dunk has mostly been outstanding.

He's not been poor in "most" of the games, don't be daft.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Utter rubbish. We've just conceded our first goal in four bloody games, ffs.

His general play has been of a very high standard throughout. He has however, conceded THREE goals for which he could have done better - the first v Charlton where he was unsighted but should have got down to, last night's massive balls-up, and perhaps the (irrelevant) second at Ipswich (though it was a decent hit).

Care to name the Albion players who have not made three mistakes this season?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The error last night was dire. He called for the ball, Dunk stopped (probably should have ignored him) and he came and missed - it was outside the area so he woul have been off I he got there! Unbelievable. The save following Dunk's bad error was very good though. We need a keeper without the mad errors

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Re: Stockdale he also made a very important save when Bruno made that mistake, against Charlton (?) I think. Granted he's made a couple of cock ups but Marshall is just an outstanding keeper, it's stupid to compare really.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Re: Stockdale he also made a very important save when Bruno made that mistake, against Charlton (?) I think. Granted he's made a couple of cock ups but Marshall is just an outstanding keeper, it's stupid to compare really.

Can't have been Charlton; he didn't make his first save until the Brentford game (following his own mistake).

Anyway, relax everyone. NSC and football chat is all about opinion, and mine is that he's been poor more than he's been good so far. You're entitled to see and think differently - maybe because I've seen more games on stream so far - but I can't spend too much time on here as I've got a load of work to finish off today, so you'll just have to accept I'm right this time.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The error last night was dire. He called for the ball, Dunk stopped (probably should have ignored him) and he came and missed - it was outside the area so he woul have been off I he got there! Unbelievable. The save following Dunk's bad error was very good though. We need a keeper without the mad errors

You would never have a goalkeeper then.... All keepers/players will make mistakes - its as simple as that. He recovered well from it and pretty much kept us in the game. We only ended up drawing because of Marshall pulling off brilliant saves.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You would never have a goalkeeper then.... All keepers/players will make mistakes - its as simple as that. He recovered well from it and pretty much kept us in the game. We only ended up drawing because of Marshall pulling off brilliant saves.

Exactly - ALL keepers make mistakes.

Seriously, I reckon if we had conceded the goal that Bruno scored last night, there would be people on here blaming Stockdale for the goal. Yes, Bruno mis-hit it, which left Marshall hoplessly exposed - but look at where he was - neither in his goal OR out at the player. Could have done better positionally.

Even whilst making his string of spectacular saves in the second half Marshall made a couple more technical errors - both with Dunk's header, and Gardner's (first) drive, Marshall pushed the ball straight out into the six yard box, narrowly missing the reach of an onrushing striker. Either of those had been followed in, and simply because it has been punished, the error 'counts'.

That's without mentioning the fact that he should have collected the corner in the first place, that Dunk almost headed in.

People see what they want to see.

We all know Stockdale cocked up for last night's goal. He's really not a bad keeper. He's a pretty good keeper who made a mistake.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Incorrect.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
His distribution was also outstanding last night- there were two or three occasions where he released players on a quick break with a throw out before most of us had even finished acknowledging he'd caught the ball. He's leagues apart from Kuszczak in that respect.

To compare him to Ankergren or Brezovan is ludicrous. He's in a different class to either of them.

His distribution is excellent you are correct. However, i would prefer a keeper that could barely kick a ball if he was an excellent shot stopper. In reality, when you have strikers who pepper the oppo goal but cant score, you NEED a keeper who won't let in the one or two chances the opposition get. That seems to be Stockdale's current problem. Perhaps, like our strikers, he needs confidence.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
No. If you are going to play like Stoke and West ham maybe. But we play out from the back and a keepers ability on the ball is vitally important. If he can barely kick we would have conceded a hat full last night as every time Greer, Holla or Dunk (for example) played the ball to him we would have given it right back and been exposed. A keeper needs to be good on the ball.

But surely shot-stopping is a far more important aspect to a keeper's game? If stockdale continues on his current form, it doesn't matter if he is good on the ball, his mistakes will cost us points.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm know this is going to be a bit controversial but I don't think Marshall had the 'worldie' game everybody is making out.

Yes he was good and very busy, but 'best ever' I don't think so.

What he did, or actually didn't do, was make any mistakes.

I think we, justifiably, expect at least one cock-up from a 'keeper, he didn't make any.
But he also didn't do any one single 'worldie' save better than say the Bolton 'keepers tip over.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

You obviously couldnt see from your seat and didnt watch the action play back on thr big screen he was a yard inside the box when he missed his punch. If a keeper comes they have to get it if not stay on your line. Had he done that Jones header would gave trickled into his hands as it had no power whatsoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here