Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Forster-Caskey's role in the team?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
And I am telling you that JFC is extremely mediocre! Most of the time he abdicates responsibility by short square or backward passes to others who are left trying to make something happen. He plays a very limited game which is too risk averse and too easy. He appears too lacking in confidence to do anything positive

Did Cardiff dominate the middle of midfield last night?

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
What role. On current form I would adjust the set up slightly in order to start with the Derry Pele instead of JFC. You wouldn't?
If I might butt in, different types of players. I would have put Stephens in instead of JFC at the start of the season, had he not been injured, but if JFC continues to perform and improve as he has of late, I'm very happy with him in there. Would perhaps play McCourt instead of LuaLua or Tex.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Last night was the best performance I've seen from him this season. Having Holla and Gardner in support really seems to help him.

That said, he's still got a fair way to go.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That's ok isn't it? He also made one great pass on Saturday for CMS's chance in the second half, so it's not as if it's a one off.

To be fair if he makes one killing pass per game and a goal comes from it, he will be a hero.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I used to be like that too when I played...................I always played some smashing through balls that unfortunately didn't reach their targets...........

I remember many years ago hearing a piece of commentary - from John Motson, I think, where he started with "That's a superb ball.... " and then when it eluded the target player who just couldn't reach it and the ball went in to touch, he finished with..... "too good for the man!"

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He has good positional discipline - you can't have everyone bombing forward!
Thought he was solid last night.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I remember many years ago hearing a piece of commentary - from John Motson, I think, where he started with "That's a superb ball.... " and then when it eluded the target player who just couldn't reach it and the ball went in to touch, he finished with..... "too good for the man!"

What the same John Motson, football Guru, knowledge of everything football related?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What the same John Motson, football Guru, knowledge of everything football related?

I did say "I think"...., but I am fairly sure.

It might have been Brian Moore, or Barry Davies.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I don't think he is up to this level and have not been a fan this season at all. i think he is being played out of position to be fair. However last night was one of his better games. His shooting and set pieces were as bad as ever but he played some nice balls when he got forward and got stuck in to a few tackles.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
He isn't a bad player. He's still young yes but he doesn't actually offer anything in midfield at all.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I did say "I think"...., but I am fairly sure.

It might have been Brian Moore, or Barry Davies.

commentator looking silly after saying great ball, which didn't reach its target. Face saving exercise, all good commentators have this get out facility.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He is a nailed on 100% starter for me and it would appear for Sami, probably because he is doing exactly as the manager asks

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ok two questions for you.

Loaded questions, (because you're asking for absolutes, rather than - which is more appropriate - comparatives and subjective consideration).
but I'll give them a whirl.

Do you genuinely think he's having a good season?

He's doing OK - no better, no worse than his midfield contemporaries; especially for the role he's been given.

Would he be a regular in your starting eleven?

Given the current squad - yes, he would be (and is) a regular. To dismiss him as not being Championship standard shows a lack of understanding for what he is being asked to do, and how he is going about doing it. He is prone to mistakes, but if you're going to go down that route, it's unreasonable to zero in on him alone. Everyone makes mistakes, and he is no better nor worse that anyone else in that respect.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Ok two questions for you.
Do you genuinely think he's having a good season? Would he be a regular in your starting eleven?

For me, Yes and yes.

He played well yesterday imo.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but has it been mentioned that JFC & Gardner look very similar in appearance when playing, both similar height, build, hair colour, etc. Both wearing the same colour boots and have similar looking numbers (18 & 19) - There has been a thread prasising Gardner yesterday but it does beg the question, was it always Gardner or was some of the good play actually done by JFC for which he isn't being credited and is some of the things that go wrong for Gardner being pinned in JFC?

Is JFC criticised like so many home grown players because they are exactly that, home grown and therefore deemed not exciting, and not giving the chance to learn and develop in a first team environment which means mistakes will happen without being heavily criticised.

IMO there have been players performing poorly in some games and even in comparision to JFC in games this season yet don't get criticised and yet JFC is. Double standards from fickle fans.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
He'll always be picked as he's the club poster boy. He reminded me of David Beckham last night where he wanted to take all free kicks and corners but the problem with poster boy he's utter shit at taking them.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Midfield 60%

Jake Forster-Caskey is beginning to look better than that fair haired Derby midfielder Will Hughes, with ball winning, retention of the ball (even when it gets tricky), always ready to receive a pass and thinking a little bit ahead. Also, good corners (alas our forwards are naff: if you want awful corner look to Cardiff). For a midfielder playing the central role, he does not cover the same amount of ground as Rohan Ince or the long passing ability of Colunga. One of our only left footers.

I could not see Clayton (next home match) doing remotely as well. Albion midfield faced with Gunnarson and Whittingham, who used to be good players.

Last edited:

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
JFC played well last night, put some great passes through to the front men and if they had made better use of them this thread would never have been started.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here