Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT advice sought re going self employed

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Self employed and in my fortieth year-------must be doing something right!
To be honest its fecking hard work - seven days a week and into the night --- plus I employ my youngest son---so more WORRY:ohmy:
NOBODY wants to pay you what your worth---and that includes FAMILY:eek:
I have always had a GOOD accountant (£350.00) a year --- but I sort everything for him so no more than a day for him.
BIG step to go Self Employed ------BUT if you are good at what you do ---- go for it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My wife has been self employed as a sole trader (she runs a dance school) for about 6 years and I have had two bouts of self employment via a limited company, the second of which is just coming to an end as I return to a perm role. Sole trader works for her as turnover and profit don't warrant the additional complexity and cost of a ltd company. Her turnover is around £35k a year whereas mine has been into six figures and so the tax advantages outweigh the extra costs.

On record keeping, we both keep all receipts, numbered and logged onto a spreadsheet with dates and details justifying the spend. These are then filed by month. She uses a simple spreadsheet based cashbook for income and expenditure by month and this auto totals to the categories needed for her tax return which I do using TaxCalc for £25 a year as well as my own self assessment return - it is software I have used for years as it simplifies the HMRC forms, gives me 24/7 access to expert advice and allows me to submit directly online. Use a separate bank account and keep on top of reconciling statements to your records.

I do think good record keeping and admin are important. Also worth looking at legal insurance to cover your costs of a tax investigation should you ever have the misfortune to suffer one.

Good luck - I'm sure you will be successful and happy in your business!

I put all my business receipts in a box and give the box to my accountant every year. Much easier.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Self employed and in my fortieth year-------must be doing something right!
To be honest its fecking hard work - seven days a week and into the night --- plus I employ my youngest son---so more WORRY:ohmy:
NOBODY wants to pay you what your worth---and that includes FAMILY:eek:
I have always had a GOOD accountant (£350.00) a year --- but I sort everything for him so no more than a day for him.
BIG step to go Self Employed ------BUT if you are good at what you do ---- go for it.

Fortieth year- doing something right?? WRONG ??? If you are working 7 days Simmo.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The firm I'm sub contracted to have stacks and stacks of work and are currently turning work away, so I'm confident that quantity of jobs isn't an issue. However the length of time for me to get upto speed is an entirely different matter :lol:

Do you get the jobs booked for you, and are the jobs local?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
i think he meant 7 days a month...hes just had 2 weeks in Florida :ffsparr:

OI!!!!!!! with your skin a holiday in Florida is out of the question--------to be honest 95deg everyday would have done for me if it hadn't been for the BUD LITES at 11am EVERY DAY through to early evening :drink:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
OI!!!!!!! with your skin a holiday in Florida is out of the question--------to be honest 95deg everyday would have done for me if it hadn't been for the BUD LITES at 11am EVERY DAY through to early evening :drink:

:lol:

Were u anywhere near that guy at last match who sounded as though he had swallowed a helium balloon

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When do you do your ESTIMATES------I normally do them on WEEKENDS------and I don't get paid either.
Did the Newhaven Bridge get you home safely today:)

I do them when I get home or during the working day, I only do small jobs and most of these don't need estimating, I'm trusted by my customers:)

Weekends I'm running junior BN9 to football training and matches.

Wasn't happy on Friday with that bridge, I don't think it opened today, Someone is going to sling one of the numptys that operates it in the river if it gets jammed again.:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here