Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Pretty fair response I think

I agree with one negative, although the recruitment guys have done well recruiting this summer we still have one clear gap, and one we all could see as a glaring gap: a replacement for Ulloa.

Now I'm certain that this is no easy task and we failed to replace Murray until Ulloa arrived, but in signing Baldock and Colunga (and I'm not writing them off either, both could be great successes come May 2015), neither provide anything different to CMS. We are constantly swapping like for like. Opposition defences know exactly what to expect from all three.

This is my only unanswered question about the recruitment team and I'm excited to see how this develops.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Sorry, how exactly? Because one player may or may not be getting shipped out?

Stockdale, Hughes, Bennett, Holla, Gardner, Teixeira, McCourt...all looking good and recruited by the same system. In previous seasons (just since moving to the Amex!) -.

The majority of players on your list are all looking ok (Not convinced by Stockdale at all or that all are an improvement on what we've lost) but the real failure of the recruitment team is that it has left us looking very weak up front and nowhere even close to replacing the role the Leo Ulloa played in the side. No goal scorer equals few goals equals tough season.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
the real failure of the recruitment team is that it has left us looking very weak up front and nowhere even close to replacing the role the Leo Ulloa played in the side. No goal scorer equals few goals equals tough season.

Ulloa scored once in his first 5 league starts for the Albion.
Baldock has so far started 3 matches for the club, O Grady and Colunga also haven't started 5 times yet.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Would it not more fair to include the goal he scored on his competetive debut against Arsenal?

And magnificent it was, but its just to illustrate the point that I don't think you can't conclude much after only 3, 4 or even 5 games.
and no worries i'm fairly certain you're not persuaded on this issue...:)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
And magnificent it was, but its just to illustrate the point that I don't think you can't conclude much after only 3, 4 or even 5 games.
and no worries i'm fairly certain you're not persuaded on this issue...:)

I'm not sure what you think I need persuading about? I may also add that I've been supportive of Baldock, and despite my initial lack of enthusiasm for COGnI've given him my full support too. Cheers anyway :wave:

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Fair enough, except that Kuszczak, Upson, Bridge, Ward, Buckley, Conway, Orlandi, Vicente, Lopez, Ulloa are no longer at the club, and the current squad does not look as good as the previous couple of seasons.

But were they or were they not recruited by the same system? The fact they're not here anymore doesn't change the fact the same system brought them in the first place. I'd say the fact they were successes should afford the recruitment team a little trust from us, that they'll continue to bring in similarly good players. Whether the squad is better, worse or similar is a matter of opinion, fair enough - but even if you're not happy with how it is at the moment, should you not have faith in the guys working behind the scenes to bring in replacements, based on their track record?

The majority of players on your list are all looking ok (Not convinced by Stockdale at all or that all are an improvement on what we've lost) but the real failure of the recruitment team is that it has left us looking very weak up front and nowhere even close to replacing the role the Leo Ulloa played in the side. No goal scorer equals few goals equals tough season.

I agree we look short of a natural goal scorer - but having said that, Baldock has been out injured and could yet be that man. He's similar in style to CMS but maybe he'll be more prolific? Personally I wouldn't say the recruitment team have failed in that respect anyway, yes we've struggled for a consistent goalscorer since Murray left, but we've still finished in the top 10 three seasons in a row - sharing the goals around can be as good as a 25 a season man, because you get too reliant on one guy to put them away. I'm happy to give the new manager and newly assembled squad some time - the way we've played the last few games, I have no concerns whatsoever. They're gelling and playing better and better, and somebody is going to get an absolute pasting off us in the not too distant future. After Garcia's miserly defence yet shot-shy reign, Sami's complete about turn of fast counter-attacking football is going to take some getting used to, but we're SO close to where we need to be. We'll go on a run soon, I can feel it in my bones.

Let's be honest here- COG is a lge1 player

He scored more goals in a relegated team than Ulloa did in a side that got to the play-offs. I don't think he's going to be the man to fire us to the Premier League, but he is certainly more than just a League 1 player, he is solid at this level. That said, you've just posted exactly what you did the first time so you're clearly not interested in a discussion about him, your mind is made up. Fair enough, good luck to you.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
What like the rest of our strikers !.....But they have the chance to make the step.(and some do !!! )
If the rumours about Simon Church are for real it looks like we're done with league 1 strikers and are chancing our arm with league 2 quality.

Ulloa aside there's something quite broken with our striker recruitment.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If the rumours about Simon Church are for real it looks like we're done with league 1 strikers and are chancing our arm with league 2 quality.

Please don't say we are signing Simon 'Barndoor' Church.

Would rather keep O'Grady.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area

I can only agree with you,and when (if ) we find a striker,we sell him as soon as soon as he is wanted in the premiership.So IMO we want a half decent striker that will not be quite prem standard .....now COG scored 15 last year in the championship ......!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Time to change the words to his chant slightly:

Every time he gets the ball,
You know his got his back to goal, (could change this to a non-friendly version and instead say 'you know he's gonna do f#ck all')
O'Grady, Chris O'Grady,
We're gonna sell him on to you,
And guarantee he'll score a few,
O'Grady, Chris O'Grady

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I prefer the Commodores version. "He played once , twice , three times O'Grady"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here