Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS

gully1984

May 3, 2014
Interesting seeing everyone's opinion of CMS. I feel that most of NSC feel the same. Great workrate and top fella, not able to be our main striker. Chequebook needs to be smashed in January to get the replacement for Leo. Ultimately anyone blaming the feed balls are in my view totally wrong. A striker is like ronseal. They should do what it says on the tin SCORE! regardless of the quality. I feel CMS is league one or two.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting seeing everyone's opinion of CMS. I feel that most of NSC feel the same. Great workrate and top fella, not able to be our main striker. Chequebook needs to be smashed in January to get the replacement for Leo. Ultimately anyone blaming the feed balls are in my view totally wrong. A striker is like ronseal. They should do what it says on the tin SCORE! regardless of the quality. I feel CMS is league one or two.

Agree with that.
Don't agree with the theory that GP, OG and SH all didn't set the team up to play to CMS's strengths. He would have thrived or adapted under at least one of those regimes if he was a Championship quality striker. He has a poor first touch too.

Fair play to CMS himself who must have worked hard to turn himself from a non-league player, to a pro earning incredible money playing the sport he loves.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I do really chuckle at the way CMS is given a hard time, in a lot of cases by posters who previously thought AB was a top striker destined for great things........I had an even louder chuckle this afternoon seeing him again miss two sitters...... CMS was before his injuries, absolutely our main man, but he has taken a bit of time to get going in a goal shy team this year,.... it will come.

gully1984

May 3, 2014
I do really chuckle at the way CMS is given a hard time, in a lot if cases by posters who previously thought AB was a top striker destined for great things........I had an even louder chuckle this afternoon seeing him again miss two sitters...... CMS was before his injuries, absolutely our main man, but he has taken a bit of time to get going in a goal shy team this year,.... it will come.

So do you really believe he will be our top scorer? Really? If so, my word!!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I think he will yes,....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

So if a cross goes 8 ft over the head of the striker when he is unmarked and in a great central position looking just to tap it in, it's the strikers fault?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree with that.
Don't agree with the theory that GP, OG and SH all didn't set the team up to play to CMS's strengths. He would have thrived or adapted under at least one of those regimes if he was a Championship quality striker. He has a poor first touch too.

Fair play to CMS himself who must have worked hard to turn himself from a non-league player, to a pro earning incredible money playing the sport he loves.
But Gus and Oscar clearly played CMS as a lone striker, he can do all the 'adapting' he wants, he's not going to become a completely different player with a different physique.

Sami isn't, it's a shame he's arrived to late for Macca.
He's not going to earn a new contract, but he is still capable of having a big say in our season.
Off loading him for 'peanuts' in January could cost the club big time come April.

I see all the pieces for CMS/Baldock to have a field day, this season, they just aren't in place yet.

The clubs summer shopping will be fun, but that's 8 months away.

gully1984

May 3, 2014
So if a cross goes 8 ft over the head of the striker when he is unmarked and in a great central position looking just to tap it in, it's the strikers fault?

Don't quote just one example. Deal with the facts at present. He's not exactly smashing the net apart is he? Let's be realistic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't quote just one example. Deal with the facts at present. He's not exactly smashing the net apart is he? Let's be realistic.
That depends if you have unrealistic expectations for a goal scorer or not.

If you think he should be scoring every time the ball is within 10 foot of him, then no he's not smashing the net apart.

If you think he should be supplied with accurate passing to feet while on the shoulder of the last defender, then you probably think it's a minor miracle CMS has scored any goals for us.

As said I think those passes are going to come this season, so I'm not going to bin him off, just yet.

gully1984

May 3, 2014

If you think he should be scoring every time the ball is within 10 foot of him, then no he's not smashing the net apart.

If you think he should be supplied with accurate passing to feet while on the shoulder of the last defender, then you probably think it's a minor miracle CMS has scored any goals for us.

As said I think those passes are going to come this season, so I'm not going to bin him off, just yet.

I wouldn't say I have unrealistic expectations, just a supporter who thinks one of their most highly paid players should score, ultimately being brutal that's his job!

I do, however, respect your view. I hope I am proved wrong!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

They haven't for three seasons so why will this one be different, none of the present midfielders look capable at the moment so whom will be making these mystical pinpoint accurate passes ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't say I have unrealistic expectations, just a supporter who thinks one of their most highly paid players should score, ultimately being brutal that's his job!

I do, however, respect your view. I hope I am proved wrong!
You're not wrong, he should be our 20 goal a season player.
The question is why isn't he.

Many think the answer is because he's not being given the right service.
Many think the answer is because he's shitehouse.

It's looking like he'll eventually be on the receiving end of the best service the team has produced in just over 3 seasons.

So we shall see.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I think he s a good league 1 striker but just can t cut it at this level.As has been proven time to say goodbye hope he proves me wrong with the time he s got left as effort can never be faulted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They haven't for three seasons so why will this one be different, none of the present midfielders look capable at the moment so whom will be making these mystical pinpoint accurate passes ???
I'm hoping T'shearer isn't wearing the Emperors new clothes.
McCourt can pick a pass.
Holla gets the team moving forward much quicker.
Colunga's record appears to be more assist than goal.

KLL at the moment seems keen to play CMS in.

It's the tempo that's going to make things happen, esp for CMS esp in the last 20 minutes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You could count on one hand how many times he has been given a pass near the penalty spot that was to him with the opportunity to take on or go round a defender, and even less with a clear chance of a shot at goal.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think some people are just so desperate for CMS to succeed because of the way he plays the game and how he comes across as such a lovely bloke. That's understandable, I feel like that too. I don't think I'm as chuffed for anyone as I am for CMS when he scores for us.

At some point however you just have to look at what the evidence is clearly suggesting, which is that he's out of his depth at Championship level, regardless of the players around him or the system being played. As for this squad of players and a new system being the key to unlock the door for him - I just don't see it personally.

gully1984

May 3, 2014
I think some people are just so desperate for CMS to succeed because of the way he plays the game and how he comes across as such a lovely bloke. That's understandable, I feel like that too. I don't think I'm as chuffed for anyone as I am for CMS when he scores for us.

At some point however you just have to look at what the evidence is clearly suggesting, which is that he's out of his depth at Championship level, regardless of the players around him or the system being played. As for this squad of players and a new system being the key to unlock the door for him - I just don't see it personally.

Nail on the head! [emoji108]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Wise words. And I thought he looked decent in the second half on Saturday. Except when it REALLY mattered. A couple of presentable chances, neither taken.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wise words. And I thought he looked decent in the second half on Saturday. Except when it REALLY mattered. A couple of presentable chances, neither taken.
And that's my point, in a nutshell.

I wasn't there, I didn't watch the stream (ladies on bicycles) I had the radio on and The Football League show.

They showed one, slightly better than half, chance.

Statistically, last season had that chance fallen to Sturridge or Welbeck they would have needed that chance 4 times to score 1 goal.

Yet, second division, CMS is expected to be better than the best the country has to offer.

I keep saying I believe in Sami and the team, I believe finally CMS will get those 4 chances, then and only then should he be properly judged.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Quite.
CMS was unmarked, in a central position. It was a simple tap-in to win us the game. Bennett had all the time in the world to drill it in hard and low. The full-back ( and thats being kind! ) totally overhit the cross, blasting it high across the face of goal and then spent some time with his head in his hands. He knew he should have created a goal and blew it. It was totally inept play and not untypical of a lot of the service that the likes of CMS have to put up with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here