Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Detectorists BBC4 Thursday at 10pm

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm struggling to phrase this last series.

There was something that, as much as I enjoyed the series, didn't quite work for me. I'm wondering if maybe it's just my expectation level was too high.

Alternatively the nearest I can get too at the moment is feeling Mackenzie wouldn't quite let the characters be, and slightly forced situations, like the ex wife, the mysticism, the house etc, rather losing some of the gentle gold along the way.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm struggling to phrase this last series.

There was something that, as much as I enjoyed the series, didn't quite work for me. I'm wondering if maybe it's just my expectation level was too high.

Alternatively the nearest I can get too at the moment is feeling Mackenzie wouldn't quite let the characters be, and slightly forced situations, like the ex wife, the mysticism, the house etc, rather losing some of the gentle gold along the way.

I thought it resolved really neatly... they all found their own "gold" :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh yes definitely.
As said I'm struggling to phrase my feelings towards this series, chances are I was asking too much of it and that's all.

It still had so much great work along the way, and has been a absolute joy to watch, (still struggling) I dunno it just felt like the gang weren't allowed to bumble along doing nothing much, around a central theme.

On a completely different note, Super Moderator, is there any reason why I have stopped getting 'quote' notices?
I still get the thumbs up ones (honest I do get them).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Anyone know if the book is still available, or sold out already?

"Common Buttons of North West Essex" would be a great addition to my collection.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

"Common Buttons of North West Essex" would be a great addition to my collection.

Don't sign mine though.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Oh yes definitely.
As said I'm struggling to phrase my feelings towards this series, chances are I was asking too much of it and that's all.

It still had so much great work along the way, and has been a absolute joy to watch, (still struggling) I dunno it just felt like the gang weren't allowed to bumble along doing nothing much, around a central theme.

On a completely different note, Super Moderator, is there any reason why I have stopped getting 'quote' notices?
I still get the thumbs up ones (honest I do get them).
@bozza any clues about the quote notifications?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just watched final episode, I shall miss it. One of the finest programmes to grace the airwaves in many a year.

Erecting the gazzibo bit was priceless, a brilliant rip off of the Build a Barn sequence from Witness. They even ripped off Maurice Jarres accompanying music. Wonderful viewing. In fact I’m going to say the 3 series together were PERFECT. An accolade I have only given the Wire and Band of Brothers this centuary! It’s much converted, my TV critique ;)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Yes, that’s very true and nicely surmised. And the end of a rainbow coming into shot as it paned out with the closing credits was beautiful. Shall miss it’s charmingly beautiful, gentle comedy that starred our Great English Countryside. That was the real treasure, hidden in plain sight.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

As a resident of North West Essex, it is a 'must have' for me.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Perfection. The most elegant comedy I have ever watched. I can't remember enjoying a comedy episode more than the penultimate show. Glorious.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The joy of this was that it wasn't overtly a comedy - more a snapshot of the lives of everyday people with all the comedy, habits and emotions we all express. It was a wonderful series, no canned laughter, just a nice chilled view of the lives of a few characters. Shame it has finished but perhaps it will inspire Crooke to write more or others to follow this welcome change from the horrible soaps that my missus watches!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Incredible last episode. Focusing on all the relationships on the programme without pushing that this is what they are doing.

Best thing that's ever been produced

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The joy of this was that it wasn't overtly a comedy - more a snapshot of the lives of everyday people with all the comedy, habits and emotions we all express. It was a wonderful series, no canned laughter, just a nice chilled view of the lives of a few characters. Shame it has finished but perhaps it will inspire Crooke to write more or others to follow this welcome change from the horrible soaps that my missus watches!

Yes, I hope he does a series about amateur genealogists. We're time-travellers too. :hilton:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here