Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Calde red card appeal

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
If someone kicked Calderon in the face we'd be screaming for a red. It looks from the replay that it was unintentional but you should never have your foot that high in the air.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm guessing the fact that he didn't kick another player in the head had something to do with it. A high boot when no other players are within striking distance will not be given as a foul but if a defender had been attempting to head the ball as CMS struck the ball and a defenders head the goal (if the ball had still gone in which is unlikely if a player was kicked in the process) would not have stood and he would have been sent off.

I'd have thought any forward attempting that is going to be in close proximity to more than one defender who will be attempting to clear the ball away, often with their head.

I'm not sure 'dangerous play' should be determined by whether a defender actually gets it in the head or not. More often than not it's avoided because the defender gets his head out of the way to avoid getting it split open rather than 'take one for the team'

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Common sense?

How is that not a red card regardless of whether we were winning 10-0 and it was Calderon's last day before retirement and his dog had just died?

Common sense does apply when reffing but not when a player almost takes another player's head off with a 6 foot high tackle foot first

The common sense angle comes from the ref deciding it was a high kick to clear the ball and not a tackle as such. Then possibly given a yellow card if the laws allow it

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The common sense angle comes from the ref deciding it was a high kick to clear the ball and not a tackle as such. Then possibly given a yellow card if the laws allow it

You're making this up as you go along.

One - even though this is irrelevant - his foot was up to try and control the ball. Two - which is relevant - his foot was up and caught the bloke in the head. With that level of recklessness, a red card will ensue.

Whether it was to be considered as a tackle or not is also irrelevant. It was considered dangerous play.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I must say when the Beeb Feed reported something along the lines of "Calderon off, he appeared to kick _______ in the head. Red.", the image running through my head was a green Calde on the rampage, finally punting a poor Burton player good and hard between the eyes. So I watched the highlights on iPlayer and was more realistically informed. Reckless move, if accidental.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I assume you're joking with this contention?[/QUOTE]

Sort of. Intersting that others think it was harsh and I do think the ref could have used some discretion although I accept an appeal panel probably wouldn't. I was more being a pendant about part of Sami's rationale for not apealing being choice of 0 and 4 games missed when the risk is +1 or (up to) -3.
I'll get me coat....

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
no appeal as it would mean he misses the Spurs game if the appeal was lost and increased to 4 games

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
dont blame the club for not appealing calderon red card i was at the game and he was no where near the ball and was rightly sent off and it wasnt harsh or soft.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I must be the only one that thought it was harsh. He was watching the ball and had his leg up to catch it. He just turned into the player who ultimately was fine.

I accept I'm in the minority here, but not a red IMO, no malice what so ever

Level of malice has zero to do with whether something is a red or not. It was a red all day long.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nobody was kicked in the face.

Way to completely misunderstand how the laws of the game work.

Remember that Kompany red card, where he lunged in massively recklessly at Nani, who jumped out of the way? NO contact was made, yet it was correctly given as a red card.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Way to completely misunderstand how the laws of the game work.

Remember that Kompany red card, where he lunged in massively recklessly at Nani, who jumped out of the way? NO contact was made, yet it was correctly given as a red card.

I was correcting the poster who mentioned being kicked in the face. If you read all of my posts, I have accepted that it was a reckless kick (which happened after he kicked the ball, Mark) The Burton player was caught on the back of his head. I was being pedantic.

What does annoy me is the inconsistency of referees. There have been two 2 footed challenges resulting in injuries against us, which have only resulted in yellow cards so far this season at Swindon and at the Amex against Shef Wed. There was also the retaliation by the Ipswich player which should have been a red.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here