Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie George

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I wondered about this too. It couldn't have been Stapleton because he came much later - certainly not contemporary with the appalling Micky Thomas.
I recall in the early 80s, Charlie G was one of the 'new tricks' peeps at Saints with Osgood etc There was talk of him coming to Albion but I'm sure it did not happen. He certainly did not turn out for Albion. At that time Stapleton was at his peak. Went from a transition Arsenal team to Man U who were often a poor 2nd to Liverpool.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Just to confirm, Charlie George came for a short while 82'sh, he trained maybe for about a week.

Make of that what you will in terms whether it fits in with your own view of whether this makes it 'with the Albion', but it did happen.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Apologies - thought u were talking about his just as poor Albion appearance
No worries gjh .The Shots had Paul Kitson come to us in 2005 ,he started 1 game at Canvey and lasted 20 mins never to be seen again.One of our worst signings:lolol::lolol:Also in the same game Dave Lee broke his leg badly and was out for a long time.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
There was a time when we regularly had old Pro's coming to Brighton for one last pay day. I recall the likes of Martin Chivers, Mick Ferguson, Sammy Nelson, Frank Worthington playing for us.

I guess the modern day equivalent would be players like Ashley Cole, Paul Scholes, etc

Of course, in those days players weren't paid as much as they are now so they had to stretch out their career for as long as they could before retiring from football and going to run a pub or train racehorses.
I suppose the modern equivalent would be Vicente or perhaps ex England players like Matthew Upson or Wayne Bridge. Oh, wait a minute...

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
There was a time when we regularly had old Pro's coming to Brighton for one last pay day. I recall the likes of Martin Chivers, Mick Ferguson, Sammy Nelson, Frank Worthington playing for us.

I guess the modern day equivalent would be players like Ashley Cole, Paul Scholes, etc

Of course, in those days players weren't paid as much as they are now so they had to stretch out their career for as long as they could before retiring from football and going to run a pub or train racehorses.
Frank Worthington was something different..a real class player. Must remember we had Ian Wright on trial and turned him down for being too small.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
...and a teenage Chris Waddle declined a loan move to us.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Frank Stapleton was, in his short stint, unquestionably one of the worst players I've ever seen in an Albion shirt, and that's out of a pretty large pool of contenders.
I recall a paper in the early 80s saying he was the best strike in Europe. There's no question he would have had caps for England if he was English.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I suppose the modern equivalent would be Vicente or perhaps ex England players like Matthew Upson or Wayne Bridge. Oh, wait a minute...
Or ex-Man Utd goalkeeper Tomas Kuszczak?

I guess I'm predominantly thinking about strikers but it shows how far we have come with the players brought in over the last 2/3 seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here