Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Disruption at Wivelsfield Due to a Fatality

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
In recent months I have noticed quite a change in commuters attitudes to suicides on the railway. It always used to be along the lines of "selfish inconsiderate b*****d" etc, but with the few that have happened recently, there seemed to have been more of a sympathetic view towards the person.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Seems that the guy who died was a former train driver , recently a senior manager for Network Rail. He alone should have known what the consequences of his actions would be for other people

People who do this are not thinking straight, they just want the pain to end

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
People who do this are not thinking straight, they just want the pain to end

I'm not convinced that's always the case, some of these incidents have been so well planned and carried out in such a way that it would indicate the person involved was probably more focused than they have been for a long time.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm not convinced that's always the case, some of these incidents have been so well planned and carried out in such a way that it would indicate the person involved was probably more focused than they have been for a long time.

Maybe. Their mind is still not functioning in any normal sense at this stage

rool

Jul 10, 2003

I'll tell you why, it's because everything else in your head is just a noisy mess. Once you have decided that to die is the only way out it is surprising how calmly you are able to think about it and plan it

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'll tell you why, it's because everything else in your head is just a noisy mess. Once you have decided that to die is the only way out it is surprising how calmly you are able to think about it and plan it

Infact that is a classic sign to look out for

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

It is a fact that they seem calm because they have finally decided to go ahead with it and they feel some sort of relief.

I knew someone years ago who was suffering desperately and he once told me that he always had suicide as his back up plan if the treatment did not work. Dreadful to feel that way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Robert Enke book has a section about this and how a suicide victim's last few days/weeks often present a clear, calm and focused demeanor with the victim goingthrough their usual routines almost care free and quite the opposite of what you would expect. The reason given is that once the decision has been made they have chosen a solution and resolved their issues; they're finally at peace. This was the case with Robert.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It is a fact that they seem calm because they have finally decided to go ahead with it and they feel some sort of relief.

I knew someone years ago who was suffering desperately and he once told me that he always had suicide as his back up plan if the treatment did not work. Dreadful to feel that way.

That's the sad thing about it all that it can take a person to make a decision like that to regain any focus or calmness in their life, as you say it can only come from some sort of relief. Unfortunately I've seen it from both sides in knowing people who have taken that decision and having to deal with incidents many times through my job and it's always left me with mixed emotions.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not really, as it is also the symptoms of other bi-polar related issues.

I don't want to get into a debate. People with bi polar have a 10 x risk of suicide. All I wish is that people show a little understanding and compassion as we all do. The train stats are one thing but the suicides at Beachy Head and other places are at an all time high which is not reported. As a society we have to try and look at the reasons so many people feel in such a desperate pit they feel this is the only way out imo

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have mentioned the Robert Enke book before. If you do not know he was a young German goalkeeper who at one point had the world at his feet and who sadly killed himself due to depression. At times it is a difficult read but it's a story which needs to be read in my opinion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't want to get into a debate. People with bi polar have a 10 x risk of suicide. All I wish is that people show a little understanding and compassion as we all do. The train stats are one thing but the suicides at Beachy Head and other places are at an all time high which is not reported. As a society we have to try and look at the reasons so many people feel in such a desperate pit they feel this is the only way out imo

But this is my point. I think around 10% of people with serious bi-polar disorder end their lives. But most of the BP disorder population will present signs of highs and lows. The calmness is not really a pointer to imminent suicide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here