Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeless people in Brighton & Hove

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Perhaps they have stronger family connections and a sense of community eh? The Koran says something about offering hospitality to other people in need, maybe that's something to do with it.

I realise that's not remotely the point you're trying to make, but, what the hell, I thought I'd try and make a positive contribution.

Do you think the Muslims not using alcohol makes any difference?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Is 'could I ask you for 10p, please Sir?' Still about?
Pleasant, tall chap, the only one I gave to, used to see him in the southern part of The Lanes close to or in Ladbrokes

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I remember "Spare 10 pence" from the 70's. Used to frequent East St area. Same person?

That was me. Thanks again for the 10 pences lads. I'm now living at number 10 Woodland Drive. If you want to pop round for a swim some time let me know :cheers:

P.s - Unfortunately there are no available parking spaces as i have ten cars up my drive. Don't tell Leonardo DiCaprio. He'll never speak to me again.

Last edited:

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I tend not to put money into pots in the street or if they are shouting out from their spot. If someone comes up to me personally and asks, I usually give.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The only homeless I saw in Newbury this year was somone sleeping rough on a bench in the tennis court.

Now I don't want to be flippant here, but anyone who wants to use these tennis courts has to pay a charge at the park kiosk to the town council, why should someone who's homeless be allowed to use them 'rent free'.......... how are we ever going to get another Wimbledon Champion?

In my experience, 20 years ago or so, we were blighted by alchoholics and vagrants who made the park a 'no go' area at night. Some more recent 'residents' of the street have been known to walk into a branch of RBS in broad daylight and shit on the floor. He was off his head on drugs and alchohol of course. The local judiciary have issued him with a notice banning him from the town centre many times over which he persistantly ignores. I don't think he was making a 'dirty protest' on the way RBS had been bailed out, although it's possible he may have had a mortgage with them and they'd repossessed his house?

I applaud the efforts of those who try to get people back on their feet, but there are many homeless who refuse such help and resort to petty crime.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Here is a story about an innovative homeless man in SA:

http://www.sapeople.com/2013/11/29/the-pavement-bookworm-south-africa-509/

The Unlikely Story of The Pavement Bookworm

A wonderful story of inspiration is unfolding in Empire Road and other streets of Johannesburg where a well-known South African storyteller has discovered an unknown book-lover.

Three days ago South African director, cinematographer and storyteller Tebogo Malope (29) posted a video interview with an unlikely bookworm – 24-year-old homeless man, Philani. The story of the “Pavement Bookworm”, as Philani is known, is now being spread virally and reported on globally.

Philani is a bookworm who has chosen to review and sell books rather than resort to begging. He shows up on different streets of Johannesburg with a pile of books, and on request he will review the books, the authors, the publishers.

“He has read all the books in his collection and is always seeking for more to read,” says Tebogo. “He then sells some of his books as a way to raise money for himself and some of his homeless friends. I’m appealing to anyone that can contribute somehow into his life.

“He’s a great role model on the power of reading and can be an amazing ambassador for our young people.”

In the video (see below) Philani notes that “reading is not harmful. There is no thing as harmful knowledge” and highlights the virtues of reading, reminding us how much better a book can make a person’s life, a child’s life, and the life of someone in an old age home.

Thanks to Tebogo’s video, motorists who had previously driven past Philani, are now stopping to talk to the Pavement Bookworm. He’s even had a visit from ‘Entanglement’ author Steven Boykey Sidley who gave him his latest book.

Apparently Philani’s favourite author is John Grisham because “he touches on social justice and I think that’s the one thing lacking in the world”.

Philani’s appreciation for the value of books was apparently inspired when he managed to rescue himself from drug addiction by reading self-help books.

As for the man who has ‘discovered’ Philani – as a child in Soweto, Tebogo always knew he wanted to be a storyteller, and his career has been filled with directing music videos, publishing photographs and directing TV dramas such as ‘Skeem Saam 2′…but this may be the greatest story he’s told so far.

Oct 25, 2003
the services for the homeless in Brighton & Hove are, pound for pound, the best in the country. That particular community are very well looked after...this also means that people are attracted to the city and the services are very over subscribed. Someone earlier said that the homeless population had decreased...this is false- it rises year by year. There is a 4 month waiting list for hostels (local connection/high priority only) and those with no access to public housing find it very difficult to save up enough money to get their own place.
My job is to work with these people and some of the life stories I hear are scary. They're not all drug addicts and alcoholics...in many cases it's just a couple of wrong decisions that led to their homelessness. Once you're in that situation it's very hard to get out of it.

Oct 25, 2003
Very few eastern europeans

untrue. About a tenth of B+H's homeless population are Polish...add on Slovakians, Hungarians, Lithuanians etc and it's certainly more than 'very few'. They are often very savvy and find safe places to sleep and find cash in hand work during the day. There is a huge community of Polish guys living in Benfield Valley for example.

Oct 25, 2003
I was impressed by this until I caught one of them nicking the materials used to create his piece.

the most well known and visible of them spends the vast majority of his income on heroin. He comfortably earns enough to rent somewhere. I wouldnt recommend giving him money to be honest

Oct 25, 2003
This. Very rare to find one from here.

if you're from here you get priority for the council run hostels (which tend to be horrendous) so if you're homeless it tends not to be for long. if you're not from here you tend to have no access to public housing so unless you accept relocation you're left to sort yourself out

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
So long as Newbury magistrates keep issuing the ASBO's I for one am happy.

" A MAN aged 64 has been issued with an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) banning him from Newbury town centre.

Peter May, of no fixed abode, was given the two year order by Newbury magistrates on Thursday, October 10.

The order prohibits him from:

* drinking alcohol in any public place within one mile of Newbury Market Place

* urinating or defecating in any public place other than a toilet

* causing harassment, nuisance or annoyance by begging in any public place in Berkshire

* sleeping in any church, churchyard, consecrated grounds or other church property in Berkshire without the owner’s permission

* entering the grounds and building of St Nicolas Church, West Mills, Newbury

* entering the Newbury Tourist Information Centre, The Town Hall, Market Place, Newbury

* entering Newbury Town Centre and St John’s Memorial Garden, St John’s Road, Newbury

The ASBO was issued due to multiple complaints from the public and local businesses in Newbury over a period of time with reports of begging in the Market Place, urinating and defecating in view of the public and also on consecrated grounds, drinking alcohol in public and acting in an anti-social manner.

See this Thursday’s Newbury Weekly News for a full report on the hearing. "

" A MAN who had been banned from drinking publicly in West Berkshire has been jailed after breaching an anti-social behaviour order on the day it was issued.

The behaviour of Brian Hanton, aged 52, of no fixed abode, had been deemed so disruptive that Reading magistrates imposed a three-year order on him on Friday, November 15.

The order prohibited him from possessing or consuming alcohol in any public place in West Berkshire and being in an intoxicated state in any public place within the district, including train stations. He was also forbidden from pestering shop staff, restaurants and cafés for food without offering payment.

Mr Hanton was issued with the asbo after pleading guilty to nine offences, including public-order offences, being drunk and disorderly in a public place and shoplifting in recent months.

However, he breached the order within hours of it being imposed after boarding a train with a can of beer and disembarking at Newbury railway station in an intoxicated state. Mr Hanton has been jailed for four weeks.

West Berkshire anti-social behaviour officer, Pc Peter Duffy, said: “The Asbo was achieved following persistent offending by Mr Hanton in Newbury. He was given many opportunities to change his behaviour by the police and courts, but he refused to do this and continued with his disruptive behaviour.

“Mr Hanton’s behaviour and shoplifting was having a significant impact on the local community.

“He was being arrested on a daily basis, but did not take these chances to change his behaviour. The Asbo was designed to prevent Mr Hanton from drinking alcohol in public and to protect the community from his behaviour.

“However the prison sentence sends out the message that if asbos are not taken seriously, individuals will be dealt with robustly.”

The jailing of Mr Hanton follows the 10-week imprisonment of 64-year-old Peter May after he breached his asbo twice within days of it being imposed in October.

Mr May, whose behaviour was described as “devastatingly anti-social” by the prosecution, was also issued with a two-year ‘super asbo’, which prohibits him from publicly drinking alcohol within one mile of Newbury Market Place. "

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I've heard about the Grand Parade one, it was featured in an article the Argus ran. I guess it's all true?

Oct 25, 2003
I've heard about the Grand Parade one, it was featured in an article the Argus ran. I guess it's all true?

yeh its horrible. it (along with percival terrace and brunswick place) are owned and staffed by a company called baron homes who earn an absolute fortune from the council. they operate them as money making initiatuves and as such they dont give a whole lot back. some of the rooms have full on holes in the walls, they're never cleaned for new tenants, theres lice everywhere etc etc etc. ....very horrible place

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here