Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£12.50 to watch Premier League Football - The club are missing out.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Started doing my Masters Degree at Warwick this week, and at one of the open fayres Aston Villa had a stall.

They are selling tickets to games vs. Manchester City and vs. Spurs for £15 each, or £25 for both - meaning you could watch The Champions play (in the Holte end) for £12.50.

I have questioned TB and PB on the issue of Student price tickets before at the NWSS Meetings. But despite their answer that cheap tickets devalues STH ticket prices, I personally think we are missing out a lot.

We have TWO Universities on our door stop and Villa have been round to all the Uni's in the Midlands are are selling Student Price tickets which will no doubt mean people will want to go back again. We should be doing this, and I would much rather see the South Stand - or just the ground in general full, if we did these sorts of offers I am certain Uni studnets would come on a more regular basis. The Villa stall was heaving with students wanting to buy tickets.

Thoughts on doing these sorts of offers? Personally £12.50 is a bargain and I think I will end up going to both!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
We have done student deals in the past, as recently as last November. I guess maybe the club didn't see much pay off? I think they could have been more aggressive with the marketing though. For example there's a stall at Sussex at the moment signing people up for Virgin's internet offerings, why isn't there an Albion presence? Fresher's week (well it's just after Fresher's now) is the ideal time for it!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I do not think concessionary rates devalue ST prices, I see no reason why we cannot offer deals to students, anything to get more people through the door. Would really like to see the south stand full for a change.

Rexchi

May 19, 2013
I'm with you this - aside from a full ground and better atmosphere they might stay on in Brighton post degree and buy full price tickets in the future. Anything that helps the club both short and long term is a good idea. As a STH I wouldn't mind. What do others think?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The club should especially target students for evening games - watch the game, then jump on the train to town and go on a night out

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Started doing my Masters Degree at Warwick this week, and at one of the open fayres Aston Villa had a stall.

They are selling tickets to games vs. Manchester City and vs. Spurs for £15 each, or £25 for both - meaning you could watch The Champions play (in the Holte end) for £12.50.

I have questioned TB and PB on the issue of Student price tickets before at the NWSS Meetings. But despite their answer that cheap tickets devalues STH ticket prices, I personally think we are missing out a lot.

We have TWO Universities on our door stop and Villa have been round to all the Uni's in the Midlands are are selling Student Price tickets which will no doubt mean people will want to go back again. We should be doing this, and I would much rather see the South Stand - or just the ground in general full, if we did these sorts of offers I am certain Uni studnets would come on a more regular basis. The Villa stall was heaving with students wanting to buy tickets.

Thoughts on doing these sorts of offers? Personally £12.50 is a bargain and I think I will end up going to both!

That really is a bargain. I love Villa Park, proper old school stadium surrounded by houses and pubs but with decent enough facilities.

Nice to see another seagull living up in these parts!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1000 empty seats generates 1000*£0 = £0
1000 students paying £10 = £10000

Barber OUT !

That's not the full sum though, as it doesn't account for EXISTING student STHs (at full prices) who would not renew, if there was a cheaper option.

FWIW there I agree that there absolutely should be a student price, but I'd limit it to the South, so as not to annoy existing ticket holders.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
That's not the full sum though, as it doesn't account for EXISTING student STHs (at full prices) who would not renew, if there was a cheaper option.

FWIW there I agree that there absolutely should be a student price, but I'd limit it to the South, so as not to annoy existing ticket holders.

Yeah limiting to the certain blocks makes a lot of sense. As for the STH issue, would a solution not be to only offer on certain games, rather than all games?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Agree with the OP's sentiments, our new marketing guru should address this.

I was at Warwick 81-85 and used to go to matches all over the midlands. All were POTG believe it or not. From memory, games included Villa v ManU; West Brom v ManU; West Brom v Wolves; Cov v Ipswich; Forest v ManU; Forest v Liverpool as well as Albion games. To get from Warwick Uni to Villa Park is not straightforward: bus-train-bus - much easier for Brighton based students to get to the Amex.

Most memorable game was the European Cup Semi Final Villa v Dynamo Moscow, standing on the Holte POTG!

PG

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
If all the students were in watching the match who would be giving me the wrong pie or not having a clue what Harveys was?!

In all seriousness, given that most University students would not be around for the first couple of games and will be gone by the last couple it should be simple enough to work out a reasonable cost on a "term-time" season ticket.

Also Sussex has a large number of overseas students, especially Chinese, the marketing opportunities could be huge!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Yeh but just so it for 5 or 6 games a season that we know won't sell out. The price of those £10/£15 tickets along with 18-20 full price ones would still mean an adult season ticket works out cheaper for someone wanting to go every game...

SAC

May 21, 2014
Of course the club should be offering discounted tickets AND STs for 18-22 year olds.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here