Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you, if circumstances allowed, Forgive Gus and welcome him back to the Albion?

To Gus or not to Gus?

• Total voters

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I'd rather accept Glenn Murray back on loan, than see him turning out for Reading in the Championship.

Poyet is history, Bloom would NEVER accept him back as he considers loyalty to be one of his employees finest attributes.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
So having private discussions with Reading FC, whilst his own club was in the midst of a play-off campaign and facing its biggest challenge for years was not doing anything wrong. Armed with an offer on the table from Reading, he then went back to the board and used it as leverage to try and get a better deal for himself. He was trying to play one club off against another. Was it any surprise he wasn't focussed at one of the most important times in our history. The man showed his true colours at this time. It was him first and BHA, the club and the fans a distant second.
We were a stepping stone in his managerial career and he was bored with us long before the acrimonious departure. He wanted out and he stage-managed a situation that left the board with no alternative.
In all his time at BHA he got fantastic support fromTB but that wasn't enough and eventually he threw it back in his face. He achieved one promotion and consolidation in the Championship but he chucked away our best chance of promotion in years. It was a good tenure without being outstanding and was tarnished by the last few months. You've probably guessed that I wouldn't have him back. He's ensconced at Sunderland now and probably planning his next step up the managerial ladder.

I suspect there is 'some' rewriting of history in that - there is far more in the Reading saga than such a simplified view.

As for losing focus :lolol: - the last 8 games of the season saw us unbeaten and climb from 7th in the table to 4th - if that is down to loss of focus then bring it on!

I voted yes - not because it could or would ever happen but on the simple basis that he produced the best football with the best result of any manager at the club in the last 25 years.

Sad that the club lost the best two managers it has had in the modern era following 'bust-ups' with the chairman.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
There's no re-writing of the fact that he was suspended on full pay and dismissed after an internal investigation.

Poyet didn't resign, nor 'walk away', he was sacked for ' Gross Misconduct '. That's all the club would tell us, but let's assume that it amounts to breaching the terms and conditions of his contract. And that generally means you've been not performing in your employers best interests.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
You're rewriting history Mo. He had permission to talk to Reading, & it was in March. He turned them down straightaway, as Tanno said (it's still on Player) 'no, offence but it was only Reading'.

The old 'couldn't win a game from behind' whinge from drew, is also selective memory, as there weren't many games where we went behind first.

It is irrelevant now as Poyet has moved onwards & upwards. He never made a secret of his ambitions, & I would always prefer honesty, rather than a manager who hides his feelings & then just walks out, like Taylor, or Garcia.

If you think Reading were the only offer he was trying to 'engineer' from other clubs then I think you're being naive. Everton, Fulham and Stoke were almost certainly 'looking' at him, the question is, was he also 'in discussions' with them........ ( or their representatives ) ?

Sir John Madjeski, like Dick Knight, is the kind of Chairman who conducts his affairs through the proper channels, requesting permission and such like.

We will never know, because neither Poyet nor the Club will discuss these things in public, but when an employer cites 'gross misconduct' it basically means that kind of behaviour.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You're rewriting history Mo. He had permission to talk to Reading, & it was in March. He turned them down straightaway, as Tanno said (it's still on Player) 'no, offence but it was only Reading'.

The old 'couldn't win a game from behind' whinge from drew, is also selective memory, as there weren't many games where we went behind first.

It is irrelevant now as Poyet has moved onwards & upwards. He never made a secret of his ambitions, & I would always prefer honesty, rather than a manager who hides his feelings & then just walks out, like Taylor, or Garcia.

With regard to my comments, they were made as a rebuttal of the argument that he was a good tactician.

In 2011/12 we lost 14 games, just under a third of the season. We drew with Leeds, Watford, Birmingham, Millwall, Cardiff, Middlesbrough all at home after going behind and Palace away. Including the opening game, that's 22 games where we went behind and failed to win.

In 2012/13 Ipswich, Blackburn, Millwall, at home and Wolves, Birmingham Charlton, away. Drawn games in which we went behind and failed to win plus the 9 league games we lost makes 15. Almost a third of games where we went behind and didn't win.

As for the Reading situation, we don't know whether there it was part of his contract that he would be allowed to talk to any Prem team that asked. Wouldn't be surprised if there was and I have no problem with that. Players and Managers are ambitious. However, we are led to believe by TB, and I have no reason to doubt him, that Poyet called him the day before the St Patricks day Palace game and stated he wanted to leave and would go the following day if he could!!!

I have absolutely no problem with employees of the club being ambitious, whether that be the manager or players but the way some go about it leaves a lot to be desired.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
would you take back a girlfriend that you caught sucking off your best mate?

of course you wouldnt.

if however you would,you probably answered Yes.

Poyet is special.....but my club is fracking much bigger than him

this club can do better than the Poyets of this management world

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Has anyone used the horrendous cliche of referring to "no loyalty" yet when talking about a man born in Uruguay, played for Chelsea and Tottenham and then managing a team in clearly his first step on the managerial ladder?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Forgive him for winning League One, transforming our style of football, taking us to the play-offs and making the substitution in the second leg that could have won it for us - (Barnes, who hit the bar and had a header cleared off the line) which all you conspiracy theorists always ignore?

If you think there's much to forgive there ...

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Seems those tedious games with 2 shots in 90 minutes, no plan B and if we went a goal down we knew that was the chance of three points gone , have all been forgotten.

Or the fact that his spending left the the club with over 14 mill worth of losses we're still trying to rectify.

And he managed to achieve a drubbing by Palace at home in the playoffs then try to get out when he knew the money was about to dry up for him.

I'm going to say no thanks.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Forgive him for winning League One, transforming our style of football, taking us to the play-offs and making the substitution in the second leg that could have won it for us - (Barnes, who hit the bar and had a header cleared off the line) which all you conspiracy theorists always ignore?

If you think there's much to forgive there ...

Cor, it sure would be difficult to forgive wouldn't it? Comfortably our best manager in my lifetime.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Or the fact that his spending left the the club with over 14 mill worth of losses we're still trying to rectify.

Yeah, I do hate that he used to steal the club cheque book and buy these players without the say so of those who ultimately run the accounts.

As a fully qualified accountant, Gus should have been right on top of our books.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, I do hate that he used to steal the club cheque book and buy these players without the say so of those who ultimately run the accounts.

As a fully qualified accountant, Gus should have been right on top of our books.

:lolol:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

:facepalm:

He's another Redknapp, needs to spend spend spend to get a bit of success but ultimately he failed to deliver, unless you feel a L1 title is worth that level of cost .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Surely this thread has to be a contender for "most stupidest poll of the week" ? It ain't gonna happen.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
:facepalm:

He's another Redknapp, needs to spend spend spend to get a bit of success but ultimately he failed to deliver, unless you feel a L1 title is worth that level of cost .

That's despite the FACT that when accounts were published, it was clear we were nowhere near the top spenders in League 1, and also overachieved when we hit 10th in the Champ...?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Don't be fooled by the vote splitting options.

The NO's have it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
That's despite the FACT that when accounts were published, it was clear we were nowhere near the top spenders in League 1, and also overachieved when we hit 10th in the Champ...?

Doesn't hide the FACT that all he achieved during his tenure was a L1 title. How much did the club spend in supporting him during his time here again?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here