Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex atmosphere.....

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH.

The Amex atmosphere is exactly the same as The Goldstone atmosphere, but better than Withdean.

We do not, and never have, created an atmosphere.

We are, and always have been, a reactionary crowd.
We have never been proactive.

If there's lots of opposition fans making a racket - we sing.
If the ref has done us wrong - we sing.
If we're losing - we sing (for a bit)
If we're winning - we sing (for a bit)
If we're away - we sing all the time.

If it's 'just' a game of football, which most of them are - we do nothing.

That's how it's always been, and anyone who says different has popped on their rosy specs and is only remembering the good times.

TBF the North Stand at the Goldstone was much louder than the Amex.

Yes are you right though, the Goldstone was never a bastion of noise unless we were doing well.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH.

The Amex atmosphere is exactly the same as The Goldstone atmosphere, but better than Withdean.

We do not, and never have, created an atmosphere.

We are, and always have been, a reactionary crowd.
We have never been proactive.

If there's lots of opposition fans making a racket - we sing.
If the ref has done us wrong - we sing.
If we're losing - we sing (for a bit)
If we're winning - we sing (for a bit)
If we're away - we sing all the time.

If it's 'just' a game of football, which most of them are - we do nothing.

That's how it's always been, and anyone who says different has popped on their rosy specs and is only remembering the good times.
It must be a posh southern thing although you don't see a good atmosphere at any championship grounds these days...Many grounds are far worse than us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its nothing to do with poyet etc...Was it really bouncing when poyet was here?
Lack of goals at the amex and entertainment have not come to fruition in nearly 4 years.The poyet two years was because we had a new stadium and the feel good factor was here in which kept people buzzing.

Our home form has been pretty dire since we've been at the amex and that needs to be put right at some point.All this corporate soppyness and applauding the bloody away fans needs to bloody stop.Its turning the amex into a day at the zoo when really it craves feistyness and intimidation.
There are very occasional exceptions to the rule, I doubt they'll be any others this season.
But, 300 coming down from Blackpool knowing they are proper proper shithouse, supporting an asset stripped club, being made to applaud Nile Ranger, don't really need to be turned on by us.

If feels like only yesterday I was up there for our 'last ever away game' prior to the selling of Beeney.
I don't remember the Blackpool fans being a***holes then.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Well, quite a selection of reasons and there was me thinking that the atmosphere's poor at home because so many fans would rather bitch on about it on here on thread after thread rather than showing their commitment by using their voices at the Amex to sing and shout.

Actually they're not reasons, they're excuses; the atmosphere is nearly always great away from home because the majority want to sing and let the team know we're supporting them.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
There are very occasional exceptions to the rule, I doubt they'll be any others this season.
But, 300 coming down from Blackpool knowing they are proper proper shithouse, supporting an asset stripped club, being made to applaud Nile Ranger, don't really need to be turned on by us.

If feels like only yesterday I was up there for our 'last ever away game' prior to the selling of Beeney.
No exceptions pal...All this lovey dovey stuff is pointless as we've played them numerous times of late and they're not in the shite,they're in the championship regardless of off the field issues.

They don't have any assets bar their stadium and they don't have debts

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

No exceptions pal...All this lovey dovey stuff is pointless as we've played them numerous times of late and they're not in the shite,they're in the championship regardless of off the field issues.Do other clubs do all this shite,no they certainly don't me old mucker.

They don't have any assets bar their stadium and they don't have debts

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your argument may, or may not, have carried some weight until that point. We don't.
We do, certainly by comparison to the norm.

It always has a feel of 'oh that's what we're supposed to do'.

Not to mention the fact we can then hit them with the truly pathetic and cringe worthy 'nice to know you're here', after they've shouted the place down for the previous 20 minutes.

Come to think of it, how many of our 'songs' are a direct response to the opposition fans?
It would go some why to explain why we don't make any noise when they aren't there.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
All the games at the amex this season have gone the same way.

Our fans only get on the referees back , when he makes one mistake and then appeal for absolutely anything

Secondly, the slow clap!!!! Now and then its useful but every game it makes me cringe. Along with some people counting seconds when the keeper had a goal kick. Ffs learn the rules! !!!!

Finally, I think the Amex is becoming more and more about advertisements!! And selling! All the kiosks are newly branded with meal deals etc. Outisde the ground they have the merchandise stands. Its just all getting a bit too much about selling

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Finally, I think the Amex is becoming more and more about advertisements!! And selling! All the kiosks are newly branded with meal deals etc. Outisde the ground they have the merchandise stands. Its just all getting a bit too much about selling
As opposed to what exactly?

Would you prefer if the club made it as difficult as humanly possible to spend money, on the 24 revenue generating days a year it gets.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Would you prefer if the club made it as difficult as humanly possible to spend money, on the 24 revenue generating days a year it gets.

Yes. I don't want to club to maximise its income; the fairies can provide the money it needs to keep funding all the players that we demand the club sign.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011

No , but it just seems to be too much. Adverts on big screens and the electronic boards around the ground. I know its an income generator but just a little bit more subtle might help.

What next an advert on the big screen when there's a break in play. Its becoming a bit too americanised

Jan 30, 2008
To be honest, those that run The Amex on match day don't actually want an atmosphere. Much easier to have polite clapping and people sat quietly chewing on their overpriced pie than shouting, hollering, chanting, laughing and generally raising the roof to get behind their team.

Passionate fans equals that sad old word used by sad, prehistoric football thugs of years gone by - BANTER. This word is not good as it means that people are poking fun at each other, taking the mickey is how it might be known, possibly even gesticulating at each other, heaven forbid! Far better to give them 'meal deals', or extra slow service at the food counters, it keeps their mind off the football you see and thereby avoids too much concern over the result.

Even better to publicly congratulate the opposition supporters on their magnificent efforts in following their chosen team, we can do this over the PA system and even encourage our own fans to openly applaud them. All of the above helps to dissipate unnecessary emotion and thereby create a harmonious environment for our football artistes to express themselves.

Whilst all of the above is basically sanctimonious claptrap by me, there is an element of truth to it. But not only do we as a club thank our opposite numbers for coming via the PA, we even write it down for them as well (see attached). TB might talk about wanting an atmosphere, it ain't gonna happen all the time we suppress our more boisterous fans and make the other lot feel like they own the place!View attachment 58852
I wouldn't wipe my arse with that , if that's what it's coming to these days you might as well fill the ground with crash test dummies:nono:
regards
DR

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I've said it before, move the away fans to the family section and stick the family section behind the south goal. Better atmosphere guaranteed and solve a pet hate of mine, empty seats on the tv. The club will never do it though.

Jan 30, 2008
Its nothing to do with poyet etc...Was it really bouncing when poyet was here?
Lack of goals at the amex and entertainment have not come to fruition in nearly 4 years.The poyet two years was because we had a new stadium and the feel good factor was here in which kept people buzzing.

Our home form has been pretty dire since we've been at the amex and that needs to be put right at some point.All this corporate soppyness and applauding the bloody away fans needs to bloody stop.Its turning the amex into a day at the zoo when really it craves feistyness and intimidation.
to many leafy sussex types who are just too nice !
regards
DR

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Can't remember where but there was an away game last season where they'd put up a sign thanking us for travelling the distance. It was a nice touch and I'm glad we're doing the same thing.

Leicester did. Exactly the same as that poster but with our milage and players.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
The atmosphere is rubbish as there are only very rubbish songs to sing. None that get sung are any cop at all. Very poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here