Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why can't we ever PRODUCE a DECENT striker ?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This post referred specifically to strikers though. And our historic record, as Ernest is correct in saying, is abysmal. I can't think of a single home-produced striker, ever, that other clubs have genuinely envied or wanted to pay money for. All the strikers we turn out end up sinking down the leagues and wind up non-league by their mid to late twenties. George Barker may well be in League One now but my money says he won't make it with them.

Joe Gatting. Chris McPhee. Scott Ramsay. Jake Robinson. It's like a Who's Who of south eastern non league football. Going back to the 1980s was even worse. Franco Massimo, anyone? Simon Funnell?

The only one I can think of that might remotely fit into that category is Kevin Russell. He was an apprentice at the Albion in the early 80s, but got released and joined his hometown club Portsmouth, where he barely did anything. He then joined Wrexham, and scored 43 goals in 84 appearances in two seasons. That prompted Leicester City to pay £175,000 for him. He only played 43 league games in three seasons, scoring 10 goals, but Wikipedia suggests that he achieved cult-hero status in 91-92 as a series of late goals off the bench fired City to the play-off final.

He then moved on to Stoke for £95,000 and, a year later, Burnley for £130,000.

He had a goals ratio of about 1 in 4 (over 240-odd games in 10 seasons) before re-joining Wrexham and playing another 200 games in a deeper role.

Incidentally, he left the Albion at around the same time that we gave a trial to Ian Wright. Just imagine if NSC had been around in the mid-80s....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The sporting facilities in Sussex are appalling. I would suggest that this is the answer. We have no Olympic sized swimming pools, no cycling venues, no ice rink. Withdean is our pinnacle of an athletics track, and until recently the football teams training facilities were a university field. Is it any wonder children who are born in Sussex do not grow up to be athletes?
Can anyone name any top sporting facilities in Brighton or Sussex? Or am I being unfair? If we want top players (and athletes in other sports as well) we have to build top facilities, they don't just magically appear.

I think the pool at the K2 in Crawley is Olympic sized, for what it's worth. But Crawley town council have always been fairly forward thinking with stuff like that. Unlike Brighton & Hove & the crushing NIMBYism and "won't it ruin the Regency skyline?" attitude that dominates every planning debate.

Other than that, the only top sporting facilities in Sussex belong to the Albion, I imagine.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It would certainly be a boost if we had a local boy made good. I suppose the nearest we had was Adam Virgo ( who was a defender and striker rolled into one and was sold for £1.5m.
Adrian Thorne, Eric Whittington, Richard Tiltman, Jake Robinson, Joe Gatting etc....all of them never quite settled into that regular goalscorer that you look for. Thorne will always be remembered for his amazing five goals v Watford but that was a one-off, similar to Wade v Newcastle. For those pinning hopes on Fenelon...don't hold yer breath.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suppose the last local striker made good was Tommy Cook, who played for England while in Div 3 South. But that was more than 80 years ago, it's time we had another.

I'm not convinced of this no-sporting facilities argument. Surely more and better sporting facilities would encourage more potential footballers to play other sports. As I've seen at first-hand, there are limited opportunities for kids to play football in the area, it's not going to help player development

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I suppose the last local striker made good was Tommy Cook, who played for England while in Div 3 South. But that was more than 80 years ago, it's time we had another.

I'm not convinced of this no-sporting facilities argument. Surely more and better sporting facilities would encourage more potential footballers to play other sports. As I've seen at first-hand, there are limited opportunities for kids to play football in the area, it's not going to help player development

Germany - dripping with all manner of sports facilities and clubs every corner you turn; world champions
England - bugger all; chumps

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Steve Brown and Russell Martin

The population of Sussex is 1.6m, population of Hampshire is 1.7m - not that much in it

to be honest that's closer than I was expecting... but the point of nearby cities and areas with greater populations still stands

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Ian Muir - not sure if he was a Sussex lad but I think he came through our youth team before going on to score lots of goals for Tranmere in the lower leagues. Mind you, if he is as good as it gets it PROVES Ernest's POINT really.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Why is our youth team and academies unable to produce a decent quality striker ? One that has a lasting career at Championship level at least and a 20+ goals a season man. We've had over hopes over the likes of Jake Robinson and Joe Gatting recently but they failed and going back through the years even Peter Ward was brought in.

Even lately, Barker, Dickinson and others have come into the development squad and soon been sent packing. It's about time we found someone but I shan't hold my breath waiting.

Ernest, for once you have posted something sensible and valid!

We haven't produced anyone and, without a decent academy, we were probably never going to because anyone who showed even a hint of top-class potential would be quickly moved on to somewhere better.

Now, at last, we have a proper Academy and a top grade one at that. There can never be any guarantees but at least we now have a system that should nurture talented players and KEEP them on our books.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ian Muir - not sure if he was a Sussex lad but I think he came through our youth team before going on to score lots of goals for Tranmere in the lower leagues.

He didn't come through our ranks: he was born in Coventry and came to us from Birmingham (he was previously an apprentice at QPR). He wasn't a teenager when he came to us either

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The sporting facilities in Sussex are appalling. I would suggest that this is the answer. We have no Olympic sized swimming pools, no cycling venues, no ice rink. Withdean is our pinnacle of an athletics track, and until recently the football teams training facilities were a university field. Is it any wonder children who are born in Sussex do not grow up to be athletes?

Huge numbers of highly successful footballers and athletes in other sports come from some of the poorest slums and regions of the world. I think the answer must lie elsewhere. The desire to succeed maybe?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Can anyone name any top sporting facilities in Brighton or Sussex? Or am I being unfair? If we want top players (and athletes in other sports as well) we have to build top facilities, they don't just magically appear.

Eastbourne has good tennis facilities but are they used to bring through new talent ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The only one I can think of that might remotely fit into that category is Kevin Russell.

I think Ernest's original point referred to the sort of striker who comes up through the academy system, plays- and scores goals- for us, and whom other clubs covet and want to sign. Rather than the ones we release because they never make it with us but who go on to do ok elsewhere after dropping down levels.

We haven't produced a genuinely sought after striker in my lifetime, I'm pretty sure of that.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Why is our youth team and academies unable to produce a decent quality striker ? One that has a lasting career at Championship level at least and a 20+ goals a season man. We've had over hopes over the likes of Jake Robinson and Joe Gatting recently but they failed and going back through the years even Peter Ward was brought in.

Even lately, Barker, Dickinson and others have come into the development squad and soon been sent packing. It's about time we found someone but I shan't hold my breath waiting.

Well if your willing to wait another 15 years or so my son is doung very well. Scored 4 goals for his under 7's team last weekend.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Well if your willing to wait another 15 years or so my son is doung very well. Scored 4 goals for his under 7's team last weekend.

I put 6 past Sidley FC in a 9-0'drubbing back in 1987, even made the local rag with my "double hatrick" but alas was never taken on by the Albion.

Their loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here