Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tattoos/Piercings and employment

I think people are foolish enough to confuse different industries and think that they have the same attitudes towards tattoos.

My father works as a senior quantity surveyor on many multimillion pound construction jobs, and when it comes to meetings with clients that could make or break a 130m pound job, you have to look professional all the time, and he (and his firm) feels tattoos don't. It's the accepted, unwritten rule in the industry, and he's been in it for over 45 years. He has turned down dozens of truly great applicants over the years because or tattoos/piercings, but he tells me he tries to upfront with them as to why.

I however, work in the music industry, where the attitude is very laissez-faire towards tattoos. You're only (sort of) limited by your talent, there aren't many that can replace someone for instance, like Travis Barker as one of the best drummer in the world or even in rubbish pub bands because the creative industries have been a refuge for those not willing to conform to mainstream view of the world. In the 1970's Ozzy Osbourne found it difficult to get into some hotels because of his tattoos (before they knew who he was, then he found it difficult for other reasons).

Tattoos have only been 'fashionable' in the mainstream for some 10 years or so, and prior to that in the 70s, 80s and 90s it was the general publics view was that criminals, hooligans and sailors had tattoos. Why are we expecting such a sudden change in attitude? It will take time for views to change, if it ever does.

There are some industries where it is fine and some where its not, all i'm trying to say I don't think people should lump all sectors of possible employment with the same attitude, that is a slightly daft approach. Of course its going to hold you back in some places, you'd be foolish not to know that. No one forces tattoos on anyone, in the same way someones fashion choice is not forced on them. You wouldn't turn up to an interview at Goldman Sachs in board shorts, as you wouldn't with a tattooed neck...

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I think people are foolish enough to confuse different industries and think that they have the same attitudes towards tattoos.

My father works as a senior quantity surveyor on many multimillion pound construction jobs, and when it comes to meetings with clients that could make or break a 130m pound job, you have to look professional all the time, and he (and his firm) feels tattoos don't. It's the accepted, unwritten rule in the industry, and he's been in it for over 45 years. He has turned down dozens of truly great applicants over the years because or tattoos/piercings, but he tells me he tries to upfront with them as to why.

I however, work in the music industry, where the attitude is very laissez-faire towards tattoos. You're only (sort of) limited by your talent, there aren't many that can replace someone for instance, like Travis Barker as one of the best drummer in the world or even in rubbish pub bands because the creative industries have been a refuge for those not willing to conform to mainstream view of the world. In the 1970's Ozzy Osbourne found it difficult to get into some hotels because of his tattoos (before they knew who he was, then he found it difficult for other reasons).

Tattoos have only been 'fashionable' in the mainstream for some 10 years or so, and prior to that in the 70s, 80s and 90s it was the general publics view was that criminals, hooligans and sailors had tattoos. Why are we expecting such a sudden change in attitude? It will take time for views to change, if it ever does.

There are some industries where it is fine and some where its not, all i'm trying to say I don't think people should lump all sectors of possible employment with the same attitude, that is a slightly daft approach. Of course its going to hold you back in some places, you'd be foolish not to know that. No one forces tattoos on anyone, in the same way someones fashion choice is not forced on them. You wouldn't turn up to an interview at Goldman Sachs in board shorts, as you wouldn't with a tattooed neck...

A brilliant and balanced view on the subject to which I completely agree :thumbsup:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Good post, I agree and the bit I highlighted made me laugh.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
That's too sweeping. SOME tats look common, for sure. I wouldn't employ anyone with 'Love' and 'Hate' across their knuckles, or a big ugly spider's web all up their neck. Simple fact is that SOME tats look AGRESSIVE, which is not the image we really want our staff to be potraying to our customers.

If its hidden, or subtle - no issue.

I have a tattoo of a tarantula on one arm, and a black widow in a web on the other arm, and I work with young children in a primary school and they love it, boys especially will often come up and slap the tattoo, trying to 'kill' the spiders, they think it's fun, and my employers don't seem to have a problem with me having tattoos at all, and I'm in no way an aggressive person either, I keep tarantulas as a hobby, and I wanted one on my arm.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Another teacher here with tattoos. I asked my school if they wanted me to cover them but they said no. Kids ask about them all the time, I always answer by saying that when they are an adult they can decide for themselves if they want them or not.

I think we have to remember it is 2014, a huge % of people now have them, employers have to adapt to a changing environment.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Another teacher here with tattoos. I asked my school if they wanted me to cover them but they said no. Kids ask about them all the time, I always answer by saying that when they are an adult they can decide for themselves if they want them or not.

I think we have to remember it is 2014, a huge % of people now have them, employers have to adapt to a changing environment.

Just to clarify, are you a teacher in the UK or where your location states?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Like all fads, tattooes are in fashion at present but like all fashions their popularity will wane and hundreds of thousands will be left with reminders of how they got swept up, lemming-like, in the rush to be ' inked ' Unlike hair styles or clothing, tattooes are a fashion not easily reversible and many will be left with regrets at a hasty choice.
From their earliest days tattooes have typecast and stereotyped people and even in todays progressive society, negative attitudes still exist. It is short-sighted to think that some industries and employers won't discriminate against tattooes. They will and they do. It is the choice that each individual takes and they must be aware of the potential consequences. Not enough young people talk it through with parents, friends or relatives. They just go out and blindly get tattooed and then expect to walk into any job going.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Good post with fair comments.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

I was just going to post on same lines. I am a self employed estimator/quantity surveyor and have never got a tattoo as I did not think my clients would like it (nor me for that matter).
One client, a Sussex builder, employs about 20 blokes in their office and not one has a tattoo, for the same reason as me. Of course some of the guys may have them but they are not on show. Seems strange in some ways that men employed in a macho industry think this way???!!!!
Not making a point for or against, just saying.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
What's the problem with keeping them as a hobby?

Spiders!!??

213ce8974ac6308016f4e94ab805024bd04fdf4c2517d0910fac71f94e954ca1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here