Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Refused entry on a direct debit

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I had a similar problem last season, the bank do not always inform you of failed direct debits as this is normally covered in a bank statement, the club only contact you by e-mail and you need to check the junk mail, £50 does seem steep I am sure it was only £30 for me. even though he missed the game the money still outstanding needs to be paid.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My Grandson who like many 18/19 year olds, is struggling to pay his adult priced season ticket on Direct Debit and on Saturday was refused entry. He was informed that one payment had been missed and I think that if true would have been 1st September, despite him assuring me he had enough funds in his account to cover the payment.

He also assures me that he had not been contacted in any way by the club informing him there was a problem and he said felt extremely embarrassed to be turned away at the gate in front of other fans. I always meet him inside the ground so I was unaware of what had happened, otherwise I could have helped him at the club shop, where they demanded £86 for him to go into the ground to see the game, that was his missed payment of £36 + £50 administration fee. He obviously did not have that kind of cash on him or bank cards, so he missed the game and went back home.

Now what I would like to know, has anyone suffered missing a payment and has been contacted by the club to inform you of the situation, so that you can address the problem? After all, it would have been nearly three weeks since a payment would have been missed and I feel it is a little harsh to let any fan come along, unaware of a problem, thinking he will see the game and then embarrassingly be refused entrance.
I cannot think of any other example where a missed payment does not result in some kind of communication informing you to urgently rectify the problem.
He has not been able to contact the bank yet to see why it was not paid.

So does anyone know if this is club procedure or has there been a massive communication breakdown somewhere along the line and before anyone says he was probably skint and the money was not there, knowing teenagers this is a possibility, but we could not come to his aid as no one was aware.

It does happen elsewhere. A month ago I got a flat tyre in Newhaven and confidently rang the RAC being a member. After asking for my membership number they said the membership had stopped two years ago. I told them I was baffled as I paid monthly by direct debit. Puzzled, they checked and said my payment card had expired and so membership stopped. I protested that they hadn't contacted me to inform me, but to no avail. The upshot was I had to renew my membership and pay for a call out fee on top before they would help me.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not related to the Albion, but I remember as a teenager having a DD refused by the bank as there were insufficient funds, the letter the bank sent me said they could not pay it as the account I had did not allow unauthorised borrowing and paying the DD would put me £3 in debt to them, the letter also said there was a £25 fee for sending me the letter, which was more than the DD they refused and put me £5 in debt. Fecking Banks.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Pre-season I received a letter stating that my 3 season tickets had been cancelled and my seatsd had been put on sale due to non-payment! I called the club, they said 2 payments had not gone uot and a third was due and said I need to contact my bank. I called my bank and they said the DD is on a 12 month contract, so every 12 months the Albion have to send out a new DD mandate which they had not done, at least the bank said they hadn't. I called the club back, stated what the bank had said, paid the arrears and impending DD and the £50 fee/fine was waived. They said they would check with their manager if a DD mandate had been sent, I heard nothing again.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I suspect this is aimed at me so you meant Westdene whatisface.

Under contract law a company can not 'fine' a private individual for breaking the contract. All they can ask for is the amount to put them back to the position as if the contract hadn't been broken along with their costs in doing so. So in this case @fosters headband jnr would owe his monthly payment plus any associated costs the club has had to bear. Has it cost the club £50 ? Unlikely when compared to say the admin fee for breaking your mortgage contract is £35. How does the club get to £50 worth of costs ? If they can prove that it does cost them that then fine - they can charge it - but if he's not even had a letter then I struggle to think they've had any costs other than any charge they may have had from their bank for a declined DD.

Sadly too many people don't know their rights and so just pay up "admin" fees without question. And there is no illegality here - just unlawfulness ..... possibly.

Sorry mate. Yes it was you. I am getting old and forgetful!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I didn't think you could buy tickets on the day am I wrong and can I ask have you had a bank statement between the 1st and 20th September? I know I haven't

You are able to purchase tickets on the day at the ground however this is not well publicised. Re the bank statements, it may be viewing a balance online as opposed to receieving the end of month statement ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ben had problems paying his as his wages went into his bank on the 1st via overnight transfer and the club put in the request for payment on the 1st, sometimes before Bens wages had hit his account so I had to make out a standing order to pay Ben £50 on 28th each month and he had to do one to me for the 3rd if each month. A lot of messing about for nothing. Would it not make sense for the club to have 2 DD dates per month and you chose which one is most convenient to you as insurance companies and most credit card companies do?

Aug 21, 2011
During the off season I received 2 letters (one for me one for my Son) saying that our season tickets had been cancelled and were on general sale due to 3 missed payements. WTF!! this was the first I knew about it. I called the club to query it and they told me to check with the bank. I checked and the bank confrimed no payments had been collected, that there were funds in the account so were at a loss as to what happened. I called the albion back as luckily my seats were still available as I sit with my Dad who paid up front. I did point out to them and asked them to pass on my feedback that to not write when a payment was misssed immediatly was very poor and to just go ahead and cancel was even worse. The guy agreed. Sounds like they have not taken any action to sort this.

I only keep a small amount in my UK bank, just enough to cover a couple of DD's.

A couple of months ago I miscalculated, and my ST DD bounced. Within 24 hours I had an an automated email from the club telling me and asking me to call the ticket office on an 0845 number. A quick email to the club provided an alternative telephone number - I can't access UK 0845 numbers from here - and a quick phone call to give them my bank details over the phone and the thing was fixed.

10 pound admin fee if I remember which seemed fair enough to me for something that was my fault, not the club's

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Christ, I wish I'd been refused entry to that game. I can't think of a worse performance in decades. Clueless.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The club should really be careful. Getting to far ahead of themselves in their attitude towards everything being unpersonal and treating us all just like another number on a card...We are a long way from the prem on the pitch, although we behave like we are already there off it....The way this season has started and this obsession with going with average players and unproven managers, we could well end up in league one next season....Then they will be bending over backwards to get onside with the fans. Instead of shafting them at every turn. I would never pay squat to cancel anything. I've been paying to watch this club for over 36 years, I'm buggered if i'd pay again to stop watching them.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
I was also refused entry on Saturday and after queueing for an eternity at the ticket window, I was told this was because of a missed DD payment in June. I couldnt understand why but was more annoyed that it had taken this long for that missed payment to be flagged up and rather than contact me they just deactivated my ST card. After some heated words and the Supervisor being involved, my card was reactivated for one game on the understanding I pay my missing months payment at the first opportunity. It was 320pm by the time I took my seat, just as well I hadnt missed much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here