Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Self - Is he right to hate hipsters?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw Will Self the other week gangling around on his two-wheeler in the Oval region. He reminded me a tad of the hipsters that litter my surroundings in Dalston on a daily basis, but I back his claims on their annoyingness. The faux-coolness in their manicured unfashionableness gets my goat, a goat that can be seen on their pretend cheap jumpers. I read an article the other day saying there's a bit of a hipster in all of us for our wish for a certain aesthetic, but my aim in style is almost indefinitely never to be noticed or recognised, so unless that can be classed as a particular look that attaches me hiply to other ordinary nervous people I don't think I agree we all have a design to remember.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Will Self caustically deconstructs the everyday, which in itself is not a bad thing, as we all do it to a greater or lesser degree, NSC for example. And I'd much rather read what he has to say than Katie Price telling us about baby number x

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
He's writing this arrogant nonsense for an organ whose readership is of miniscule proportions and whose readerships understanding of this arrant nonsense is even less than its readership - the whole point being that whilst we all get on with the ups and downs, the ins and outs, the VERY trials and tribulations of LIVING - no fvcker has got a clue, or cares less, about what this pompous tw@t is on about! !!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Will Self caustically deconstructs the everyday, which in itself is not a bad thing, as we all do it to a greater or lesser degree, NSC for example. And I'd much rather read what he has to say than Katie Price telling us about baby number x

Well yes - but no-one pretends that KP talking about baby crap is some sort of existentialist theorising so your comparison with Self (oh the irony of that name!!) is beyond ridiculous !!!

Spun Cuppa

Well yes - but no-one pretends that KP talking about baby crap is some sort of existentialist theorising so your comparison with Self (oh the irony of that name!!) is beyond ridiculous !!!

There was no implied juxtaposition between the two people mentioned in my post. It was just an example of a person I would read, and a person I wouldn't. With your obvious level of certitude on the matter, perhaps you could to furnish us with a critical comparison of the pair?

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
There was no implied juxtaposition between the two people mentioned in my post. It was just an example of a person I would read, and a person I wouldn't. With your obvious level of certitude on the matter, perhaps you could to furnish us with a critical comparison of the pair?
That's a pretty clear juxtaposition to me - and for someone seemingly so intelligent I find it a tad strange that you fail to recognise that!!

Spun Cuppa

That's a pretty clear juxtaposition to me - and for someone seemingly so intelligent I find it a tad strange that you fail to recognise that!!

Juxtaposition means to compare and contrast. To say you would read one person, and not read another is not a juxtaposition, it is a statement. Giving reasons and applying some critical analysis to the two positions is a juxtaposition :thumbsup:

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

Maybe Katie Price's entire career so far has been a post-modern commentary on the superficiality of recent culture? Then again, probably not.

I did a six month stint working in a Digital Media Agency in City Road (pretentious, moi?) and would rather go through Liverpool Street/Spitalfields to Brick Lane and rub shoulders with the Hispters than head south to Moorgate and mix with the City Boys.

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Hes another overpaid journalist who sets himself up as a target writing about art n culture, you can take or leave him. Some of his waffle I like and some I dont.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hes another overpaid journalist who sets himself up as a target writing about art n culture, you can take or leave him. Some of his waffle I like and some I dont.

He's not just a journalist -- in fact, he's probably not even the best journalist in his family -- he's also a prize-winning novelist and an academic.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The only other cultural figure in the UK that has more invention than Will Self is Chris Morris.

Oh really? What invention has Will Self? A serious question because as far as I can tell he's a social commentator and author. No more and no less. I know he holds academic seats but there's no invention there, is there?

Tony Parsons was doing the same 30, 40-odd years ago when he wrote for the Telegraph(?) and NME. He had a brilliant collection of his diatribes against society called "Writing from the frontline of popular culture", every bit as acerbic, sarcastic and contradictory as Self's. And I'd add to that Parsons contemporaries at NME: Julie Burchill and Danny Baker. Sadly, all 3 are now irrelevant old farts but back in the day they were a lot edgier than anything Will Self aspires to. There's also the added bonus of genuinely coming from outside the establishment so at least Parsons and Baker's Estuary English has an air of authenticity to it. The broadsheets are full of Will Self-types of all political persuasions. On the right you have Alain De Botton and Rod Liddle. I'm curious - please elaborate on how Self has more invention than Botton or Liddle.

Will Self having a pop at hipsters - Ha! Self is great entertainment and a good novelist but his TV persona is a caricature that he deliberately cultivates in much the same way as Paul Merton does. And he's certainly no Chris Morris.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've always thought the only people who read Will Self are hipsters, cos no discerning person would go anywhere near him

I rather think that Will Self may have overheard someone describe Self as the sort of writer hipsters aspire to. I think there's a truth in that even if no-one has mentioned it to him: His detachment, the superciliousness, that sneer, the ennui of modern living that Self holds in such contempt (to misquote Stewart Lee - those opinions he gives for money) is a hipster's wet dream. Maybe Self is just trying to put distance between himself and yesterday's fad....

...for money, of course.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Oh really? What invention has Will Self? A serious question because as far as I can tell he's a social commentator and author. No more and no less. I know he holds academic seats but there's no invention there, is there?

Tony Parsons was doing the same 30, 40-odd years ago when he wrote for the Telegraph(?) and NME. He had a brilliant collection of his diatribes against society called "Writing from the frontline of popular culture", every bit as acerbic, sarcastic and contradictory as Self's. And I'd add to that Parsons contemporaries at NME: Julie Burchill and Danny Baker. Sadly, all 3 are now irrelevant old farts but back in the day they were a lot edgier than anything Will Self aspires to. There's also the added bonus of genuinely coming from outside the establishment so at least Parsons and Baker's Estuary English has an air of authenticity to it. The broadsheets are full of Will Self-types of all political persuasions. On the right you have Alain De Botton and Rod Liddle. I'm curious - please elaborate on how Self has more invention than Botton or Liddle.

Will Self having a pop at hipsters - Ha! Self is great entertainment and a good novelist but his TV persona is a caricature that he deliberately cultivates in much the same way as Paul Merton does. And he's certainly no Chris Morris.

Lee. Have a listen to Danny Baker's Desert Island discs or his interview with Richard Herring, both are available on itunes for nowt. Reminded me of the Danny Baker of old, both are brilliant, he has a superb view on life, health and money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here