Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players ratings

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How about Baldock's early booking? Looked from where I was like he was booked for not diving but a mate said afterwards it was handball as did another aquaintence in the train queue. It that the case? People round me lost it with him after the Baldock booking not the Greer tackle (am in WSU North end, others in WSL and ESL respectively).

Am in a similar area to you, looked to me like Baldock dropped to his knees as he brushed past the keeper quite easily as if he was hoping for the penalty, but got up as if he wasn't (maybe he genuinely wasn't, or maybe he realised how poor his effort at diving was so tried to make it look like he wasn't). I can see why the ref gave it if it was diving (though wouldn't have given it myself). Hadn't heard the handball suggestion.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The season continues with its depressing start. A truly mediocre performance against a team that had amassed one point before today. We need a PROPER striker. Sorry to keep repeating myself, but if Glenn Murray was available for loan why oh why didn't we snaffle him up?

Stockdale 6. Not a lot to do, but did OK.
Bruno 5. Almost gifted them a goal when he slipped near the end. Spent a lot of time in attacking positions, but little end product.
Greer 6. Some excellent distribution, but also the usual wayward passes. Good defensive performance.
Dunk 6. Strong in defense.
Bennett 7. Probably his best game for us so far.
Holla 7. MOM. A couple of excellent shots and good midfield work.
JFC 2. Largely anonymous as usual. Should not be starting and doubtful he should even be on the bench. A real weak link.
Crofts 5. Poor game by his standards. Failed to capatilise on a couple of good opportunities from wide positions in the second half. Expect better.
Colunga 2. Awful miss in the first 5 minutes. A goal then and I believe we would have been comfortable winners. He did very little of note in the entire game. Yet to be convinced that he is an asset to the team.
Tex 5. Some nice stuff, but too many poor decisions and too easily knocked off the ball.
Baldock 6. Unlike some on here I thought he played OK. I like him and think he will come good. Interesting to listen to him being interviewed post match on Radio Sussex ... the guy sounded intelligent and spoke the Queen's English. Unusual for a footballer!

Subs:
KLL 7. We looked better immediately he came on, but not given enough of the ball.
CMS 5. Nothing of note apart from one decent cross.
McCourt 8. Looked excellent in his 15 minute cameo. Why has he not played before today. Should be in the starting XI.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Am in a similar area to you, looked to me like Baldock dropped to his knees as he brushed past the keeper quite easily as if he was hoping for the penalty, but got up as if he wasn't (maybe he genuinely wasn't, or maybe he realised how poor his effort at diving was so tried to make it look like he wasn't). I can see why the ref gave it if it was diving (though wouldn't have given it myself). Hadn't heard the handball suggestion.

How it looked to me. However, late on Delphonso got pulled up for a dive and didn't get a card which would have been his second....

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Stockdale 6. Had an average game, made a good save.

Bruno 4. Was ridiculously out of position as times, and nearly cost us a goal.
Greer 6 Was solid at the back, didn't do much wrong.
Dunk 6 Kept giving fouls away in their penalty box, other than that, did a good job.
Bennett 5. He gets far too forward, then doesn't get back. Maybe that's just his inexperience though.

Holla 6. Average game from him, think he'd agree he could do better
Crofts 5. Don't think he was as bad as many suggest, but wasn't good enough and Ince probably should have started.
JFC 4. Not sure what's happening with him, has shown he can be good but just didn't seem to get in the game today.
Teixera 6. Looked the only player who wanted to make stuff happen. He actually ran at the defenders.

Colunga 4. Poor shot, poor game.
Baldock 4. Still not convinced by him, woeful dive and decided to pass when he should've shot about 8 yards out. Lack of confidence I think.

Subs:

Lua Lua 6. Really wanted to get out there and make stuff happen, unfortunately he kept getting clattered so couldn't do much.
CMS 5. Not really much to say, game didn't look any different when he was on.
McCourt 7. Looked really good, didn't even need to sprint. Balls were superb, looking forward to seeing more of him.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
edit

Lualua was MoM for me, even though he only played half the second half. Easily our most dangerous player and unlucky with the fizzer that went just over the bar.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Stockdale 6. Had an average game, made a good save.

Bruno 4. Was ridiculously out of position as times, and nearly cost us a goal.
Greer 6 Was solid at the back, didn't do much wrong.
Dunk 6 Kept giving fouls away in their penalty box, other than that, did a good job.
Bennett 5. He gets far too forward, then doesn't get back. Maybe that's just his inexperience though.

Holla 6. Average game from him, think he'd agree he could do better
Crofts 5. Don't think he was as bad as many suggest, but wasn't good enough and Ince probably should have started.
JFC 4. Not sure what's happening with him, has shown he can be good but just didn't seem to get in the game today.
Teixera 6. Looked the only player who wanted to make stuff happen. He actually ran at the defenders.

Colunga 4. Poor shot, poor game.
Baldock 4. Still not convinced by him, woeful dive and decided to pass when he should've shot about 8 yards out. Lack of confidence I think.

Subs:

Lua Lua 6. Really wanted to get out there and make stuff happen, unfortunately he kept getting clattered so couldn't do much.
CMS 5. Not really much to say, game didn't look any different when he was on.
McCourt 7. Looked really good, didn't even need to sprint. Balls were superb, looking forward to seeing more of him.
Any chance they're following the manager's (possibly ill-advised) orders here?..

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
STOCKDALE 6 Saved a shot at home! So, improving. Some good distribution.
BRUNO 7 Probably our best player on the day, but the slip was pretty poor and should have been costly.
GREER 8 Player of the season so far by such a comfortable distance it's almost becoming silly.
DUNK 7 Solid, and the perfect foil for Greer.
BENNETT 6 A couple of nice touches but so out of place in this stupid full backs are wingers tactic it's painful.
CROFTS 2 Offers less than nothing in this system with these tactics. Not his fault, it's the managers'.
HOLLA 8 A one man midfield. Quality footballer, out of place in our team.
FORSTER-CASKEY 1 If he wasn't left footed, he wouldn't be in the team. Another being wasted in these ridiculous tactics.
COLUNGA 3 No impact after his pathetic miss at the very start. Contributed nothing else during the game.
BALDOCK 4 Poor performance and his man of the match award was ridiculous. At best.
TEIXEIRA 6 Quality player but ultimately contributed nothing at all.

SUBS
LUALUA 2 The final man obviously wasted by these stupid tactics.
MACKAIL-SMITH 5 No impact. Support was taken off to prevent him being able to link up with ANYONE.
MCCOURT 6 He should be in the team ahead of Colunga. And LuaLua.

The tactics are stupid and can't work - but had Colunga scored in that first minute, we'd have probably won and then it's not all that bad, is it? These tactics are unlikely to ever work, as you want Crofts and JFC, or whoever is in those positions, to be supporting the striker (singular, as always) not covering for the full back meaning that your full backs are used out of position and then your midfielders are stupidly posted to covering for them.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Any chance they're following the manager's (possibly ill-advised) orders here?..

Bruno being on the left wing in Blackpool's half doesn't seem to be something Hyppiä would've told him to do. And I'm pretty sure Hyppiä has probably told Bennett that if he attacks, he does need to get back and defend. Unless maybe it has slipped his mind, which I don't think it has, do you?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
STOCKDALE 6 Saved a shot at home! So, improving. Some good distribution.
BRUNO 7 Probably our best player on the day, but the slip was pretty poor and should have been costly.
GREER 8 Player of the season so far by such a comfortable distance it's almost becoming silly.
DUNK 7 Solid, and the perfect foil for Greer.
BENNETT 6 A couple of nice touches but so out of place in this stupid full backs are wingers tactic it's painful.
CROFTS 2 Offers less than nothing in this system with these tactics. Not his fault, it's the managers'.
HOLLA 8 A one man midfield. Quality footballer, out of place in our team.
FORSTER-CASKEY 1 If he wasn't left footed, he wouldn't be in the team. Another being wasted in these ridiculous tactics.
COLUNGA 3 No impact after his pathetic miss at the very start. Contributed nothing else during the game.
BALDOCK 4 Poor performance and his man of the match award was ridiculous. At best.
TEIXEIRA 6 Quality player but ultimately contributed nothing at all.

SUBS
LUALUA 2 The final man obviously wasted by these stupid tactics.
MACKAIL-SMITH 5 No impact. Support was taken off to prevent him being able to link up with ANYONE.
MCCOURT 6 He should be in the team ahead of Colunga. And LuaLua.

The tactics are stupid and can't work - but had Colunga scored in that first minute, we'd have probably won and then it's not all that bad, is it? These tactics are unlikely to ever work, as you want Crofts and JFC, or whoever is in those positions, to be supporting the striker (singular, as always) not covering for the full back meaning that your full backs are used out of position and then your midfielders are stupidly posted to covering for them.

I would agree with your ratings except KLL, i know he was out of position but he still scared the shit out of them drew fouls, got shots away and put some decent balls in.Way better than 2.

oh sami sami

Sep 2, 2014
Stockdale 6
Bruno 6.5
Greer 7
Dunk 6.5
Bennett 6

Holla 7
Crofts 4
Jfc 1.5- absolutely shocking

Teixiera 7
Baldock 5.5
Colunga 5

LuaLua 7
McCourt 7.5 did more than anyone did in 20mins
Cms 4

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I write these words from miles above you, high up on Norwegian air, so treat them as godly verdicts. Drown in the rainstorm of their sweet omniscience from up on high. I forgive you all. Now say 19 hail meadesies.

Stockdale - I felt safer with him today, but of course he had little keeping to do. A generous 6
Bruno - lo and behold the voice of a brunoholic. Not as flairvouyant as usual, but I love him. 6
Bennett - he played? Ok then. A 5
Dunk - should've scored, but rescued Greer , so a good display. 7
Greer - not up to his usual standard, but I suppose different strengths were asked of him against the lumped dryers of today. 6
Jfc - haven't felt him to be effective on many occasions at all. A charitable 5 for his youngness
Crofts - by jumbo he tries, but usually the wrong thing. I still don't like him as move-ending midfielder with a touch on par with CMS. 4
Holla - he's a legend in the making. And he'll be suspended next month. Love to see how well he controls a game and thinks a step ahead of those around him. 7
Teixera - a smooth operator and I was sad to see him subbed. 7
Colunga - missed our best chance, but I liked his movement and explosiveness. I'd give him a 6, in part for ever touching the ball, which I am about to say his forward partner almost didn't.
Baldock - didn't look the mustard. Sad his runs weren't fed, but blimey you shouldn't go through a constantly attacking game without ever being involved. 4.

McCourt looked classy, but it seemed madness to out on your chance creator at the expensive of one of your chance takers. A stupid substitution, it seemed, and does still from space.

Now let's see if I can sent this now. I bless you all. Apart from a few of the real weirdos I saw in the North stand today. You're going where you belong.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The season continues with its depressing start. A truly mediocre performance against a team that had amassed one point before today. We need a PROPER striker. Sorry to keep repeating myself, but if Glenn Murray was available for loan why oh why didn't we snaffle him up?

Bruno 5. Almost gifted them a goal when he slipped near the end. Spent a lot of time in attacking positions, but little end product.
Greer 6. Some excellent distribution, but also the usual wayward passes. Good defensive performance.
JFC 2. Largely anonymous as usual. Should not be starting and doubtful he should even be on the bench. A real weak link.
Crofts 5. Poor game by his standards. Failed to capatilise on a couple of good opportunities from wide positions in the second half. Expect better.
Colunga 2. Awful miss in the first 5 minutes. A goal then and I believe we would have been comfortable winners. He did very little of note in the entire game. Yet to be convinced that he is an asset to the team.
Tex 5. Some nice stuff, but too many poor decisions and too easily knocked off the ball.
Baldock 6. Unlike some on here I thought he played OK. I like him and think he will come good. Interesting to listen to him being interviewed post match on Radio Sussex ... the guy sounded intelligent and spoke the Queen's English. Unusual for a footballer!

Subs:
KLL 7. We looked better immediately he came on, but not given enough of the ball.
McCourt 8. Looked excellent in his 15 minute cameo. Why has he not played before today. Should be in the starting XI.

Sorry, being lazy but agree with these, and more importantly the comments. Baldock made some great runs and Paddy looked real class. Hope he starts next week.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

S.

is this available to listen to on line.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Subs:

Yep. You saved me typing this out - thanks. I'd give JFC and Colunga a 3, rather than a 2, but otherwise spot on, including Holla as MoM.

Edit: I might as well the rest of what I'm thinking here too.

At Brentford, it was like watching 2 u16 sides, at Ipswich we looked the better side for an hour, but still got done over, today - we were just dire.

Our next 5 games:

Burton (A) - having a great season and beat QPR last time out. We could easily lose.
Forest (A) - having a great season - will probably lose
Cardiff (H) - having a poor season (like us) - maybe a draw.
Watford (A) - having a great season - could very easily lose.
Middlesbrough (H) - having a great season - could very easily lose.

So, by mid Oct, it is quite possible that we will have played 12, with 9 points and be in the relegation zone, as well as being dumped out of the mickey mouse cup by league 2 opposition.

Wow - just wow.

Do I think we're serious relegation fodder? Nope. But I'm now as equally convinced that we're not play-off contenders either. :shrug:

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I write these words from miles above you, high up on Norwegian air, so treat them as godly verdicts. Drown in the rainstorm of their sweet omniscience from up on high. I forgive you all. Now say 19 hail meadesies.

Stockdale - I felt safer with him today, but of course he had little keeping to do. A generous 6
Bruno - lo and behold the voice of a brunoholic. Not as flairvouyant as usual, but I love him. 6
Bennett - he played? Ok then. A 5
Dunk - should've scored, but rescued Greer , so a good display. 7
Greer - not up to his usual standard, but I suppose different strengths were asked of him against the lumped dryers of today. 6
Jfc - haven't felt him to be effective on many occasions at all. A charitable 5 for his youngness
Crofts - by jumbo he tries, but usually the wrong thing. I still don't like him as move-ending midfielder with a touch on par with CMS. 4
Holla - he's a legend in the making. And he'll be suspended next month. Love to see how well he controls a game and thinks a step ahead of those around him. 7
Teixera - a smooth operator and I was sad to see him subbed. 7
Colunga - missed our best chance, but I liked his movement and explosiveness. I'd give him a 6, in part for ever touching the ball, which I am about to say his forward partner almost didn't.
Baldock - didn't look the mustard. Sad his runs weren't fed, but blimey you shouldn't go through a constantly attacking game without ever being involved. 4.

McCourt looked classy, but it seemed madness to out on your chance creator at the expensive of one of your chance takers. A stupid substitution, it seemed, and does still from space.

Now let's see if I can sent this now. I bless you all. Apart from a few of the real weirdos I saw in the North stand today. You're going where you belong.
I never tire of reading your stuff.

P.s I completed 19 hail Meadsies ::thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Subs:

I think I was watching the same match as you.

Particularly agree about McCourt, and about Baldock on the radio. Both my brother and I agreed he sounded intelligent and articulate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here