Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Platini and his £16,000 watch.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd like to know what gifts the Qataris and Russians offered for their respective successful world cups bids.

Don't know about the Russians but didn't the Qataris handover brown envelopes with wads of cash in them ?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Didn't they accept them, but are now returning them, and the criticism of platini in this thread is that he won't return his rather than that he accepted it in the first place.

Personally, I'm not all that bothered about it. I'm barely concerned that countries vying to host the world cup offer "sweeteners", but this was a gift after the fact. Yeah, the money in football is ridiculous, but it's no worse to me than the gift packs that are handed out at oscars (expensive items for people who can well afford them) or the wages paid to the likes of Wayne Rooney (ridiculous money in football).

Agreed.
It's awful that the money was not spent doing something more useful but that is nothing new. I actually think Platini, much as I dislike him in this role, has a point. He said if they confirm the price of the watch and he will give that to charity. He was brought up to believe it is rude to return a gift.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Agreed.
It's awful that the money was not spent doing something more useful but that is nothing new. I actually think Platini, much as I dislike him in this role, has a point. He said if they confirm the price of the watch and he will give that to charity. He was brought up to believe it is rude to return a gift.

Call me a cynic but I reckon it's more to do with Platini not wanting to rock any boats in his climb to the top of FIFA. This, however, doesn't bode well for removing the bribery and corruption that exists in that organisation.

So FIFA are accusing others of corruption. That would be FIFA run by Blatter, possibly the single most corrupt sporting administrator in the world, accusing someone else of corruption.

Satire is something I don't think Blatter really understands.

And I notice that FIFA has requested the watches be returned to - FIFA. yeah right, and I wonder how many of them would promptly find their way into Blatter family hands?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Didn't the England World Cup bidding committee give a gift of Mulberry handbags to the wives of all the FIFA delegates when trying to win the 2018 World Cup?

FIFA is a mafia organisation, Russia is a mafia state (I'm currently banned from travelling there), they are well suited to each other.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The real issue here is-a watch worth £16,000 >? must be able to do more than just tell the time surely?

Is a watch of say a value of £500 any less of a watch other than for status,further,what if they were both identical almost to look at...

The world is the way it is because people will pay £16,000 for a watch.....

If i had the money i would personally waste £1m on a watch.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The real issue here is-a watch worth £16,000 >? must be able to do more than just tell the time surely?

Is a watch of say a value of £500 any less of a watch other than for status,further,what if they were both identical almost to look at...

The world is the way it is because people will pay £16,000 for a watch.....

If i had the money i would personally waste £1m on a watch.

I'm the same with hookers.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm the same with hookers.

Well,well.......well yes i know to some degree you are right,but £500 could get you a good deal if you know where to look.....(allegedly i am told) :lol:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Didn't the England World Cup bidding committee give a gift of Mulberry handbags to the wives of all the FIFA delegates when trying to win the 2018 World Cup?

FIFA is a mafia organisation, Russia is a mafia state (I'm currently banned from travelling there), they are well suited to each other.

Why are you banned from Russia?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
That Parmigiani watch looks pretty shit, to be fair. That's the official watch of the Brazilian FA. The official watch of the Brazil World Cup, meanwhile, was by Hublot and was much nicer, albeit more expenive (c £25k rather than £16k).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why are you banned from Russia?

I was working for a company there, and their rivals tried to headhunt me as they thought I would bring all the customers with me. I politely declined, as not a corporate politician type, so before my next trip there they bribed a local official to deny me a visa to travel to Moscow as revenge.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I was working for a company there, and their rivals tried to headhunt me as they thought I would bring all the customers with me. I politely declined, as not a corporate politician type, so before my next trip there they bribed a local official to deny me a visa to travel to Moscow as revenge.

Sorry to hear that. Sucks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here