Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Miliband

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The phrase 'class envy' is one that is often bandied around with no real meaning or substance by people who have lost the other arguments.

Seriously, who wants a society where you have a far, far better (and at this time increasingly better) chance of getting on in life because of who your parents were or whether you were in the 7 per cent that pay to go to private school?

Do you want thicker people in charge simply because they were told from a young age it was their right to rule the country, while more intelligent youngsters with better minds struggle to get a fair crack?

There has always been inequality in society but things like huge university tuition fees and unpaid internships at employers are making it worse, creating almost a self-perpetuating elite.
Well said :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The situation is tailor-made for a popular celebrity intent on a political career to 'fast-track' their way to the top. I'm not saying for a minute this could ever happen but just imagine a general election contested by Bob Geldof for Labour vs Jeremy Paxman for the Tories!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The phrase 'class envy' is one that is often bandied around with no real meaning or substance by people who have lost the other arguments.

Seriously, who wants a society where you have a far, far better (and at this time increasingly better) chance of getting on in life because of who your parents were or whether you were in the 7 per cent that pay to go to private school?

Do you want thicker people in charge simply because they were told from a young age it was their right to rule the country, while more intelligent youngsters with better minds struggle to get a fair crack?

There has always been inequality in society but things like huge university tuition fees and unpaid internships at employers are making it worse, creating almost a self-perpetuating elite.

It really is the march of the mediocre.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
On a related subject, I was abroad last week and saw a couple of TV interviews with DAVID Miliband for whichever body it is he represents now, possibly in the US.

What the f**k were Labour thinking. He is sharp, polished, intelligent, has a clear vision on all manner of world issues and some gravitas, all the things Ed doesn't have. It's no wonder we don't see him much on the TV over here, Labour obviously know how clear the mistake was and have somehow persuaded him to keep a low profile to avoid unfavourable comparisons. Who knows how long that can last.

I was talking to my aunt - dyed in the wool labour - and she can't bring herself to support a bloke who stitches up his brother. I would think she is not alone.

(as a younger brother - it all seemed fair game to me!).

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Keep an eye on Chuka Umunna as a future Labour leader. He is polished and very much in the Obama mould. He just looks the part, which is hugely important whether we like it or not.

I know what you mean, but think he will never get there because of a) deeply ingrained (if not active / avert) racism / fear of the different and b) being far too polished (and frankly 'posh') for the rank and file. I don't believe that we will get a non-white PM, or even major party leader, in my lifetime - and I'm planning to be around for at least another 40-50 years.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The Labour Party definitely elected the wrong brother in their leadership contest.

IMO David Milliband is much more of a political heavyweight and would have made an excellent leader.

I agree they got the wrong brother.
The more I look at him convinces me that he is the Chuckle Brothers love child :facepalm:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think colour would be a barrier to someone getting to be PM. A British equivalent of Obama would walk into power if they had anything like his level of charisma, sense of authority, calmness and determination.

I like Andy Burnham and David Miliband but they both LOST to Red Ed - is there any way back from that??

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
there's not much to hate (unless you're driven by class-envy) .

or compassion
or concern about the environment
or concern about the NHS
or concern about the disabled, women, education, etc

Stumpy Tim

David Milliband was seen as being too close to the old regime of Blair and Brown but would have been a much better statesman. Ed probably has the better politics (IMO) but struggles with presentation.

Agree with Buzzer that none of the leaders have much going for them. Clegg was probably seen as the best and could well have done quite well if he hadn't jumped into bed with the Tories. He, and the Libs, are doomed for another generation now.

Actually David was aligned to Blair, and Ed was aligned to Brown. I can't think of one politician aligned to them both

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am 71 in a couple of weeks and hope never to see another labour government in this country during my lifetime in order to preserve the future for my children and grandchildren. I think it was Harold MacMillan who summed it up by famously saying "You've never had it so good".

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Much of what you say is right, but schooling is crucial: Cameron is the 19th prime minister to go to Eton, which ought to say something?

It could say very different things to different people. At least if we had a rule that all prime ministers need to have been educated at Eton, it would have saved us from 1979 onwards......

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Very true. I would struggle to know who to back at the moment. I think people are going to have to back the political standpoints rather than the individual leaders because let's face it, they are all pretty unlikable characters.

I'd like to think that nobody with half a brain would ever cast their valuable vote purely on the basis of who leads a particular party ... but I fear there might be a lot of people out there who do exactly that.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I am 71 in a couple of weeks and hope never to see another labour government in this country during my lifetime in order to preserve the future for my children and grandchildren. I think it was Harold MacMillan who summed it up by famously saying "You've never had it so good".

Glad you said that .

This confirms what a terrible job they've done and an awful state our public services are in ,

Would of been concerned if your opinion was the other way

Hard to warm to ed but infinitely better than this current lot

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know life long Labour supporters who won't have a word said against any Labour leader, but can't stand Ed Milliband. Seen as a totally uninspiring wet blanket, and awful speaker.

His toothless performance in the Scottish debate, brought his glaring inadequacies to the fore. It took Brown, Cameron, Alexander, Murphy,to fight back, I thought with passion, great speeches and some charisma.

The army of Labour supporters in Scotland laid the ground for a great campaign by Milliband, but instead we got the nerd. This time next year, he could be our PM and voice/face of the UK to the rest of the World. Frightening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here