Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English apathy to 2.8% of UK population deciding its future...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ah, but it won't be the British Isles if Scotland leave the union. It will be the Britain and Scotland, no longer an Island, with Britain being spread out as part of mainland Britain and part of Ireland. All a bit of a mess really.

It will be British Isles whatever happens. Eire is in the British Isles, and it is independent. Eire is not, though, in Great Britain or the United Kingdom.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Today vote should be available to everyone in England, Wales, Scotland and NI...

Do you want separation in individual countries?

Decisions like this are for everyone, end of...

Using that theory when we have the referendum on the EU the rest of the EU should get a say. Hardly democratic.

EDIT - beaten to it.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
To give our fair isles their official name 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'

So if the Scots do decide to leave with and with all of their anti English angst gone will that then make it the ' even more United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'? :lol:

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Some people would argue that we are as we're connected to mainland Europe via a tunnel.

All of the UK is on the European continental shelf...

British-Isles-NW-European-shelf.png

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It is indeed madness, for a number of reasons.

1) A 50%+1 vote break up the Union. Even though half the Scots population said 'No'.

2) Thousands of Scots living in England cannot vote. Polls suggest a majority say 'No'.

3) The implications on the rest of the Union are huge, but no voice is heard, except that Scotland will now be treated like a returning prodigal son, who is then given his brother's share of the inheritance to ensure he doesn't leave again.

A poll as important, with all it's ramifications for everyone, should have been decided by a 2-1 majority as an affirmation of intent. How it was agreed to in the first place I'll never know.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Today vote should be available to everyone in England, Wales, Scotland and NI...

Do you want separation in individual countries?

Decisions like this are for everyone, end of...

Agree with this, Great Britain is a union of us all, why do just the Scots get to decide on dismantling it? Why don't the Welsh, English & N.Oirish get to have a say on the future of Great Britain. This was only ever really about Salmond trying to be the first president of Scotland.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
What i would like to know is, if it's a NO vote but close, how long before they try again in the future ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I phoned Virgin Media today for an upgrade on my services and was helped by a lovely Scottish girl in their Scottish call centre. She said she had been asked all day by Brits down south "which way are you voting ? " and was often told "Please don't go " she told me she was undecided as yet.

I told her to vote one way or another as that is her voice. The decision will be abided by because we are fortunate to live in a genuine democracy. I will be a little sad if they go but hey, we can't keep them part of the union against their will.

'You won't get me I,m part of the union to the day I die, to the day I die.'

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Whilst the Scots are out voting in record numbers, their tiny population means even on an 80% + turnout it will take less than 3% to dismantle the UK. As it stands few in England seem all that bothered.

Meanwhile the Westminster established have given the Scots ever concession under the sun, the whole thing is nuts....

And a small percentage of the population have a say in UK Parliament.

When I moved to where I live now it was the first opportunity I had to make any difference.

I grew up in a safe Tory seat and spent most my time in London in a safe Labour one.

No point getting out of bed. None at all.

Democracy doesn't really exist in this country and the Scots have stuck two fingers up to it.

Unelected Lords allowed to sit in the cabinet, a first past the post system able to produce weird unbalanced coalitions with the smallest party able to influence the make up the government.

Time for a change.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And a small percentage of the population have a say in UK Parliament.

When I moved to where I live now it was the first opportunity I had to make any difference.

I grew up in a safe Tory seat and spent most my time in London in a safe Labour one.

No point getting out of bed. None at all.

Democracy doesn't really exist in this country and the Scots have stuck two fingers up to it.

Unelected Lords allowed to sit in the cabinet, a first past the post system able to produce weird unbalanced coalitions with the smallest party able to influence the make up the government.

Time for a change.

I can remember 40plus years ago talking politics in a Latin lesson at school where our Latin master pointed out (Mr Mohile - Worthing High School) that. We are a parliamentary democracy and we get to make a limited choice every 5 years. On 43 years of being of voting age, I have only once had the MP I really wanted. On several occasions I have had the one I voted for tactically.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here