Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

immigrants

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Its not about being nice to them, that really isnt the issue, thats a kindergarten comment.

The bigger issue is the unprecedented mass immigration that have had major implications for many individual people and their services.

Health, Housing, educatioisnt an issue for you, well well done to you.

You Creaky might be swanning around feeling all cosy and uber welcoming, but then again I suspect your own situation hasnt been effected by 750 000 new visitors, why would you care if this might effect your current fellow neighbours.

This is true - I haven't been surrounded by 750,000 new visitors knocking on the door! Have you? ???

All I try and do though is communicate with those I do come into contact with, whether that be from them moving into the neighbourhood, at work, shops or wherever. Whenever I see threads like this making assumptions about people's intentions or situation I wonder why they haven't simply made themselves known and offered assistance if needed - they might be very surprised at the reaction they get.

Have a read of this survey, you may find it enlightening.

http://www.bsa-31.natcen.ac.uk/read-the-report/key-findings/britain-2014.aspx

"The fewer immigrants you know, the more you'll fear them"

". . . look a little deeper into the survey and there are reasons for cautious optimism. British attitudes to immigration are increasingly split: well educated, economically and socially advantaged groups are more pro-immigration. The grading is quite clear. Sixty-per cent of graduates think immigration has been good for Britain, the figure drops to 32% for those whose highest qualification is at A-level or equivalent, and just 17% for those with no qualifications.
People who live in London, or know a few migrants, are more pro-immigration. Those who are more aware of policies and people's reasons for immigrating are more pro-immigration. The further away you are from the impact of immigration the more anti-immigration you tend to be. People who are anti-immigration tend to have views which are furthest away from reality – either in terms of economic performance, current policy or migrant behaviour."

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
So, do you know ALL rules and regulations on housing law? or are you too, ignorant?........lol

No, but then I'm not claiming anything without prior knowledge of it :wink:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
This is true - I haven't been surrounded by 750,000 new visitors knocking on the door! Have you? ???

All I try and do though is communicate with those I do come into contact with, whether that be from them moving into the neighbourhood, at work, shops or wherever. Whenever I see threads like this making assumptions about people's intentions or situation I wonder why they haven't simply made themselves known and offered assistance if needed - they might be very surprised at the reaction they get.

Have a read of this survey, you may find it enlightening.

http://www.bsa-31.natcen.ac.uk/read-the-report/key-findings/britain-2014.aspx

"The fewer immigrants you know, the more you'll fear them"

". . . look a little deeper into the survey and there are reasons for cautious optimism. British attitudes to immigration are increasingly split: well educated, economically and socially advantaged groups are more pro-immigration. The grading is quite clear. Sixty-per cent of graduates think immigration has been good for Britain, the figure drops to 32% for those whose highest qualification is at A-level or equivalent, and just 17% for those with no qualifications.
People who live in London, or know a few migrants, are more pro-immigration. Those who are more aware of policies and people's reasons for immigrating are more pro-immigration. The further away you are from the impact of immigration the more anti-immigration you tend to be. People who are anti-immigration tend to have views which are furthest away from reality – either in terms of economic performance, current policy or migrant behaviour."

From the same article:

The recent success of the UK Independence Party is a reminder of the considerable opposition to the EU that exists across much of the UK. As our National identity chapter shows, overall just one in four (21 per cent) think that Britain benefits from EU membership, while just six per cent think that the EU should have more power than the national governments of its member states. As with immigration, there is a close link between people’s views about the EU and what they think matters when it comes to being “truly British”. Those who emphasise a mix of civic factors (like speaking English) and ethnic ones (like being born in Britain) are far more likely to be Eurosceptics those who think only civic factors matter.

Any mostly Eastern Europeans wanting to come to the UK for a better life. I can undsrstand that but an ordinary person here cannot just upsticks and away to Australia or USA because they appear to have a better standard of living. Perhaps we should follow suit and control the incoming of people.

But I can freely work and, if I want to, live in the other 27 countries of the EU, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland. This is what I've done on numerous occasions since the early 1990's so are you saying that I shouldn't be allowed to do this and if so, why not? FWIW I can also work in Australia.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
But I can freely work and, if I want to, live in the other 27 countries of the EU, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland. This is what I've done on numerous occasions since the early 1990's so are you saying that I shouldn't be allowed to do this and if so, why not? FWIW I can also work in Australia.

As long as you support yourself (ie work) and don't have a reason to resort to benefits! Otherwise go right ahead and try it, you'll fail. You will get old one day and I hope you manage to sufficiently provide for yourself in old age or difficulty.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
As long as you support yourself (ie work) and don't have a reason to resort to benefits! Otherwise go right ahead and try it, you'll fail. You will get old one day and I hope you manage to sufficiently provide for yourself in old age or difficulty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ousands-of-Britons-claim-dole-in-Germany.html

"Ex-pats receive up to £23,318 a year from the German taxpayer at a time when many in the UK complain of EU “benefit tourists” heading here to drain public funds.

Those Britons claiming in Germany either moved there to claim handouts or had been working there but lost their jobs.

Under EU rules, countries must provide state handouts to EU citizens if their own member state has the equivalent benefit back home – a policy both Britain and Germany object to.

The claimant figure makes up around a tenth of the British expat population in Germany and many have praised the hassle free system in contrast to “patronising” officials in the UK who make people look for work. "

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ousands-of-Britons-claim-dole-in-Germany.html

"Ex-pats receive up to £23,318 a year from the German taxpayer at a time when many in the UK complain of EU “benefit tourists” heading here to drain public funds.

Those Britons claiming in Germany either moved there to claim handouts or had been working there but lost their jobs.

Under EU rules, countries must provide state handouts to EU citizens if their own member state has the equivalent benefit back home – a policy both Britain and Germany object to.

The claimant figure makes up around a tenth of the British expat population in Germany and many have praised the hassle free system in contrast to “patronising” officials in the UK who make people look for work. "

lol

1) The OP, to whom I was replying, wasn't referring to benefit claimants.
2) Can't say I've had any issue with, when needed, accessing the "benefit" systems in Ireland, Belgium, France, Spain or Italy either nationally or locally.
3) As for providing for myself in old age, do you think that the current level of benefit from the UK state pension is adequate in a supposed civilised society?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've seen a few sweaties starting to gather at the border. What do they KNOW??!!!

D

Deleted member 22389

From the same article:

The recent success of the UK Independence Party is a reminder of the considerable opposition to the EU that exists across much of the UK. As our National identity chapter shows, overall just one in four (21 per cent) think that Britain benefits from EU membership, while just six per cent think that the EU should have more power than the national governments of its member states. As with immigration, there is a close link between people’s views about the EU and what they think matters when it comes to being “truly British”. Those who emphasise a mix of civic factors (like speaking English) and ethnic ones (like being born in Britain) are far more likely to be Eurosceptics those who think only civic factors matter.

This view is also shared by other countries in the EU. They are fed up with the single currency, fed up with the economy , and fed up with the millions of people that have arrived through the back door from outside the EU. As if the economy couldn't get bad enough for them, fruit growers in Southern Europe can no longer export their goods to Russia because of these sanctions. The EU is a cock up.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/sep/18/fruit-growers-russian-sanctions-vegetables

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This view is also shared by other countries in the EU. They are fed up with the single currency, fed up with the economy , and fed up with the millions of people that have arrived through the back door from outside the EU. As if the economy couldn't get bad enough for them, fruit growers in Southern Europe can no longer export their goods to Russia because of these sanctions. The EU is a cock up.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/sep/18/fruit-growers-russian-sanctions-vegetables

Those sanctions are a result of Russia's aggression in Ukraine.

D

Deleted member 22389

Those sanctions are a result of Russia's aggression in Ukraine.

So that we don't go completely off topic here, why did Russia get aggressive in the first place? There must have been a reason Russia has turned this way.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No I don't.

Bloody hell !!!! Do you not watch the news ? Very briefly, Ukraine had a revolution which kicked out a pro-Russian president and installed a pro-EU president. Russia used this to invade Crimea over which they claim historical ownership.

I usually respect your anti-EU posts but it worries me that you are so unknowledgeable about happenings related to the EU.

D

Deleted member 22389

Bloody hell !!!! Do you not watch the news ? Very briefly, Ukraine had a revolution which kicked out a pro-Russian president and installed a pro-EU president. Russia used this to invade Crimea over which they claim historical ownership.

I usually respect your anti-EU posts but it worries me that you are so unknowledgeable about happenings related to the EU.

Now I see. It was very first part I was unsure about. So installing pro EU president, does that mean Ukraine will be joining the EU in the future, because I can see fat chance of that happening.
And in respect of these fruit growers shouldn't the EU be doing what it can and talking directly Russia.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Now I see. It was very first part I was unsure about. So installing pro EU president, does that mean Ukraine will be joining the EU in the future, because I can see fat chance of that happening.
And in respect of these fruit growers shouldn't the EU be doing what it can and talking directly Russia.

I can't predict what the Ukraine will do.

As for EU fruit growers ..... really ?? The EU imposed sanctions on Russia ( rightly so IMHO ) and therefore Russia retaliated. You really don't watch the news or read current affairs do you ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here