Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Competition needed for Stockdale!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not concerned where the goals are coming from then? I simply do not get this keeper slating when our 'forwards' do not score.

Forwards not scoring is a problem, but that's no excuse for the keeper being shit in the 6/7 games he's played this season. The only reason for the clean sheet against Leeds was that they barely managed an attack and didn't get a shot on target in 90 minutes.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There are collective improvements that need to be made to our game; someone to hold on to the ball in the dangerous areas (around 18 yard box) which we simply don't have since Ulloa went (as I got flamed for saying previously). We need to sort a system for our full back positions; you can't have a flat back four and expect them to be wing backs, that's why the 3-5-2 was born. These changes need to be made ASAP.

But, they are changes in system, NOT personnel. The chance for the second goal came from a route one ball in our inside-right channel; even then it was a half chance. So although our system gave them the chance, he should not have scored. Murphy did score though - due to an individual error by the one individual who could and should have directly prevented the goal.

Nobody is praising our defence or ineffective forward line; not least me, but at 1-0 (from a shot he parried into his own goalmouth) we still had a chance. That chance went due to an individual error, not the sum total of our collective tactical failings

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Forwards not scoring is a problem, but that's no excuse for the keeper being shit in the 6/7 games he's played this season. The only reason for the clean sheet against Leeds was that they barely managed an attack and didn't get a shot on target in 90 minutes.

I carry no torch whatsoever for Stockdale, but if he has been 'sh1t' then adjectives for several other players would be most illuminating.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I carry no torch whatsoever for Stockdale, but if he has been 'sh1t' then adjectives for several other players would be most illuminating.

Difference is that the 'keeper is a key position. If an outfield player has a bad game, the rest of the team can usually make up for it; if the 'keeper has a bad game, it usually means conceding soft goals, nervousness in the defence and losing.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Difference is that the 'keeper is a key position. If an outfield player has a bad game, the rest of the team can usually make up for it; if the 'keeper has a bad game, it usually means conceding soft goals, nervousness in the defence and losing.

Nah, not relevant here. A couple of goals which have divided views from amateur players/fans, no howlers yet our goals are coming from Greer, Dunk and Holla. In perspective I think we might have other areas for concern. Agreed, if Stockdale was doing his job 100% then we would only have lost 1-0.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sure did. I also saw CMS slow every attack down, LuLu shoot from 45 yards then throw his arms about and Bruno keep giving the ball away.

Can you get me video of the game you went to see as it obviously wasnt the one I went to at Portman Rd re CMS and Bruno.

I am a severe critic of Stockdale and think that he is far jnferior to Kuszczak, but tonight I thought he had his best performance for us. I havent seen the goals on TV but it seemed from the away end that the 2nd was a very good snapshot on the break. Whether or not he could and should have saved it I wouldnt like to say from our view.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Getting somewhat concerned by Stockdale now. Second goal was not a goal a Championship - potentially Premier League - keeper should be conceding. Really not good enough I'm afraid - so far.

So you're not going to mention the incredible saves he made in the second half yesterday then? Or the fact that any keeper can be beaten from a pot shot like their second. Sadly, there seem to be a lot of fans already who want Stockdale to fail so they're proved right and will ignore anything he does that's good.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Can you get me video of the game you went to see as it obviously wasnt the one I went to at Portman Rd re CMS and Bruno.

I am a severe critic of Stockdale and think that he is far jnferior to Kuszczak, but tonight I thought he had his best performance for us. I havent seen the goals on TV but it seemed from the away end that the 2nd was a very good snapshot on the break. Whether or not he could and should have saved it I wouldnt like to say from our view.

He is clearly not far inferior to Kuszczak. I rated him but the fact that he has no club still, despite being on a free transfer, shows how other clubs rate him.

While I am impressed that you stand up for him tonight, you're constant criticism of Stockdale (even before he joined) has been tiresome.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
While I am impressed that you stand up for him tonight, you're constant criticism of Stockdale (even before he joined) has been tiresome.

I only speak as I see it. Prior to signing it was a concern that he had never at 28 years old been considered good enopugh by any club to be their No 1. Before tonight he has been IMHO generally poor but to night he showed that either he is getting back to what he considers to be his best and what put him in an Engalnd squad or Anti Niemi has been working with him. Whatever the reason he certainly looked better this evening and there is hope that he will prove to be as good or better than Kuszczak.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I only speak as I see it. Prior to signing it was a concern that he had never at 28 years old been considered good enopugh by any club to be their No 1. Before tonight he has been IMHO generally poor but to night he showed that either he is getting back to what he considers to be his best and what put him in an Engalnd squad or Anti Niemi has been working with him. Whatever the reason he certainly looked better this evening and there is hope that he will prove to be as good or better than Kuszczak.

He was only ever permanently at Fulham. He was always number one at his loan clubs and was crucial in Hull going up two years ago and has done well on loan at other teams. Personally, I like to give players a chance rather than going on about everything they've done wrong before they join or after a few games but I suppose however people choose to show their support for the team is up to them.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
He will always get criticised as he is another of Burke's signings. We all know the goalkeeper Sami wanted but wasn't permitted to get.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hes a very good keeper. I am delighted we have got him.

As others have siad, far bigger issues elsewhere at present.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hes a very good keeper. I am delighted we have got him.

As others have siad, far bigger issues elsewhere at present.

Off topic from here, a quick question:
You've made your admiration for JFC clear on here, but:
-- can you explain what his corners bring to the team, and do you want him to take (m)any more?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here