Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phones4U no longer 4U

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Phones4U collapses after EE ends deal - 550 stores employing 6,000 will shut tomorrow.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Madness. Last financial year showed profits of £100m did they not! Losing Vodafone & now EE in a short space of time has crippled them

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
http://news.sky.com/story/1335864/retailer-phones-4u-forced-into-administration

Vodafone also pulled out of the deal, which allowed Phones 4u to sell Vodafone and EE products. If P4U are no longer allowed to sell the products - then effectively they cant trade.

Funnily enough, I got my new phone through Phones 4u last month, worked pretty well to get them to get myself a good deal from EE, perhaps they have been screwing EE over.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Hope nobody pre-ordered their new iphone with them!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
They were hiring new staff in Churchill Square last week. Proper shame, but as mentioned if they can't sell then there is no way to survive.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I bought a cheapish unlocked android from them in June, for my daughter who was working in the US for three months. Needless to say, it packed up after about a month and when she returned, I took it to the local Phones 4 U, who after checking there was no misuse, have sent it away for repair under warranty. I took it in....Yesterday?!

Not quite sure where I stand with this? If the administrators eventually wind the business up, I guess I just become a potential creditor? Or maybe its my bad luck? Okay, the phone was only about sixty quid, so I'm not exactly facing financial ruination, but its still annoying.

Maybe in about two years, I'll receive the Portsmouth penny in the pound for my (crap) phone?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Reports Phones 4u staff havent even been informed what has happened and they are learning the news via social media.

If they knew on Friday the EE contract had been terminated, the least they could have done was communicate with their staff.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems quite odd, and premature when the deals with the networks still run for a while (Feb for Vodafone, a year for EE?)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Reports Phones 4u staff havent even been informed what has happened and they are learning the news via social media.

If they knew on Friday the EE contract had been terminated, the least they could have done was communicate with their staff.

At least they were not sent a text telling them their fate.

So why have VodaFone and EE pulled the rug on them ?

Do I sense a cartel of other phone sellers ganged up on them ?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Expect explanations from EE and Vodafone in the coming days, something must have occurred to make them cancel the contracts, along with O2.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Vodafone and EE have their own stores, in T Wells, both within about 50 yards of P4U. Maybe they just want to get rid of some competition. Terrible for the employees, feel for them. The vultures of PwC charging thousands per hour for their 'services' is not likely to help them back on their feet.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012

Vodafone and EE both have big enough online and high street presences, they just want to cut out the middle man. I wonder how carphone warehouse will fare when their contracts come up for renewal. Either way its less choice for customers, which will mean less deals to be had.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Expect explanations from EE and Vodafone in the coming days, something must have occurred to make them cancel the contracts, along with O2.

they havent canceled, they arent renewing.

i suspect theres an awful lot more behind this, reading eariler stories regarding Vodafone, they want to focus on their distribution with Carphone Warehouse. now Phones4U and CW are not the only phone/network resellers out there, so i wonder if its a matter of what you get from a deal, one side wants to change the arrangment in their favour, the other doesnt. rather than restructure business models on new deals, Phones4U (or their investors) have wet the bed. or is a massive brinkmanship, i wouldnt put it past these sorts of companies.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
if you look at their iphone 6 contracts, they are massively undercutting EE and Vodafone, they clearly just want to cut them out so they can charge full whack on their extortionate contracts (£63/month for iphone 6+ on EE) without worrying about competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here