somes-140914-l229-1914513_478x359.jpg

Lucy Somes
Image by: Paul Hazlewood

PUBLISHED
20:24 14th September 2014
by James Hilsum
I am pleased with the performance and it was a lot better than the last week."
James Marrs

Brighton & Hove Albion women moved to the top of the Premier League Southern Division table with an emphatic 5-0 victory at Plymouth today. A Lucy Somes hat-trick, an Amy Green strike and a Charlotte Owen penalty ensured James Marrs’s side claimed a third win from their opening four league games.Somes opened the scoring early on with a bullet header from Owen’s well-placed delivery before adding a second on the stroke of half-time, when she struck again with a free-kick into the top corner.
The Seagulls then killed off any lingering hopes of a Plymouth comeback just after the break, as Green side-footed her shot into the top corner after some good work by Charley Boswell down the right-hand side.
Somes completed her haul for the afternoon by coolly slotting home in a one-on-one situation after an inventive interchange of play on the edge of the box.
Albion wrapped up the victory from the penalty spot when Fliss Gibbons was brought down in the area and Owen dispatched the resulting spot-kick.
[h=2]LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK[/h]

Marrs was delighted with his side’s work-rate and singled out hat-trick scorer Somes and Gibbons for their tireless displays.He told seagulls.co.uk, “I am pleased with the performance and it was a lot better than last week. The girls worked hard for long periods of the game and we worked a lot better as a team.
“Lucy [Somes] is right on form at the moment and worked tirelessly again for 90 minutes and got her just rewards with three goals, so I’m absolutely delighted for her. She deserves everything that comes her way. Her attitude and work rate was absolutely fantastic.
“I don’t normally single out players, but Fliss Gibbons' work rate was unbelievable and she was still chasing players in the 80th minute even though we were 5-0 up. If she continues in that vein, then she’ll have a great season.
“We can take great confidence from this performance going into next week’s game against Cardiff. We’ll have Charlotte Young available and Sophie Perry back from international duty. It just adds to my selection headache, but it’s a good problem to have.”
ALBION: Baker (GK); C. Cooper, D. Cooper, A. Taylor; Somes, Blackie (Carter 65), Barton, Green (Dimond 65), Boswell (Poole 70); Owen, Gibbons.
[h=2]UPCOMING HOME FIXTURES[/h][h=3]ALBION V blackpool
[/h]saturday 20TH september, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V cardiff
[/h]TUESDAY 30th september, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]Albion v middlesbrough
[/h]saturDAY 18TH october, kick-off 3pm

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here