Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Which Style Do We Prefer Then?

So which style of play do we prefer then?

• Ten passes to reach the halfway line under GP

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • Twenty passes to reach the halfway line under OG

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Full-backs rampaging forward under SH

Votes: 43 60.6%

• Total voters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So, no fence, which do you prefer:

- ten passes to reach the halfway line under GP
- twenty passes to reach the halfway line under OG
- full-backs rampaging forwards under SH

WELL? ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For the moment I'll go with the SH style, I reserve the right to slag it off if it is still not working on a regular basis in another 10 games.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Too soon. If I have to pick now, it would be Gus, but that might change if Sami can shore up our defence and show a bit more control.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I like the style of SH but not the results it is achieving ask again at Christmas and no doubt the poll would look different.

I'm just enjoying most of our play now being conducted in the business half of the field, the half that gets you results. It won't always get you results, but it'll always keep you on the edge of your seat. More than happy with that.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
To watch and results wise Poyets team. Given time Oscar's would have improved on that. Sammi's not so far.
Not voting in the poll though because the options are ridiculous and fail to take into account what was actually going on.

Control the ball and control the game

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
When we finished 4th under Gus, we controlled the majority of games that season and weren't far off automatic promotion. It was nice for us to be some dominant in most matches as even we lost, you could tell it was just a blip. This was the most enjoyable period in my time supporting the Albion.

Under Oscar we were painfully negative but managers are judged on results and he did a very good job to get us to the play-offs with the injuries and budget cuts of last season.

Way too early to assess Hyypia's style though.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Gus' team played some of the most sublime football I've ever had the privilege of watching. For four years we were spoilt, and it was magnificent.

OG's team was pragmatic, and got results, but I can't remember any moments of excitement apart from the obvious one. When he left I struggled to care.

Sami's style is promising, entertainment-wise, and I am enjoying my visits to the Amex much more than I did last season, already. Let's hope that the results are adequate.

But to answer the question, Gus, all the way.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Way too early to assess Hyypia's style though.

Not really, I'd suggest. Get to the halfway line in five moves then mount an attack. Bleeding obvious really. Shame it's taken us all this time to realise while all and sundry have overtaken us and are reaping the big money benefits.

Might take all of the so-called strikers apart from Baldock to re-evaluate their game tho eh before they're forcibly shunted back down a division?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It'll be a very long time before we see the quality of football that Gus had us playing, it was the best for generations.

Sami's style is gung-ho and promising, with the right balance in the team it could well do the job of getting us up, but that depends quite considerably on bringing in much higher quality full-backs,

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Poyet all day long. Hyypia comes across as a thick and tactically inept manager. I simply don't like him or his cavalier approach to games. Never was my choice of manager but was prepared to support him. Quite frankly he is embarrassing and he won't last. I like Jones and have no beef with him but we really should have appointed a more experienced assistant instead of promoting Jones. That's another stupid mistake by Hyypia.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It'll be a very long time before we see the quality of football that Gus had us playing, it was the best for generations.

Only compared to the previous generations tho eh?. Watching that eternal Ankergren-Elphick-El-Ebd passing triangle at Withdean was IMHO as bad as it EVER got. Watching these poor kiddies being forced by their manager to play the ball on the ground with no idea whatsoever of what to do with the ball other than pass it eventually back to Ankergren (who would then always hoof it upfield) after being coached for the previous ten years of their careers to ClearYerLines a la Butters was PAINFUL to behold.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Faulty poll design....

There's no option for proper English lump-it-forrad and hope, now is there?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The current style of play is by far the best I've seen and im thoroughly entertained.The gus style was as boring as fack most of the time...How many superb games under gus?10 games in the 2 championship seasons maybe i,e bolton etc? People always remember the stand out performances but forget the millions of dire games under him.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
In truth I like the system under SH but wish he put the correct players in the correct position.

If he wants high l/b r/b's and for them not to stand a chance of getting back why not play a 532 formation

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
But that was League One against League One opposition !

The most pertinent post on the thread.

The football under GP at that time was great to watch, but as you say, was ultimately against "lesser" opposition. It's all rather strange in that the 2 seasons we had in the Championship under GP and OG we made the play-offs, so achieved some success, but at the same time, watched some very dull football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here