Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***player ratings*** brentford

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just got back, I can't see a thread anywhere so....... Sorry about any spellings......

Stockdale - 5 - Just not making a special save, did a good block today, but wonder if he could have done better on first.....
Calderon - 5 - Out of position constantly, but apparently likely to be because he is under instruction, so I guess not really a right back anymore?
Bennett - 4 - Ball watching badly on the first goal. Roasted regularly in the first half, actually embarrassing at ties. Better in second and better when going forward.
Greer - 6 - About only one who can hold his head up....... just
Dunk - 4 - awful first half, reminded of AEA at Charlton last year. Was a sending off waiting to happen. What a difference 2 weeks make
Holla - 7 - Classy on the ball, but I'm not sure offers that much protection
Crofts - 5 - poor bloke, always does his best but is outclassed when filling in a t right back, which he seems to do the majority of the time.
Gardner - 6 - Good passer, though work-rate questionable
Texeirra - 7 - looked good on the ball and kept trying to create
Corlunga - 5 - too physical for him in 2nd half - very intelligent player though
Baldock - 6 - great runs but needs more support (heard that one before)

Hughes - 6 - better than Dunk but that wasn't difficult
KLL - 5 - worked hard to lose the tag of game changer and not in a good way!
CMS - 5 - nothing of note

Ref -3 - very, very poor though badly supported by linesman....... from the moment he obstructed our player, to the moment he booked Baldock......

Last edited:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Stockdale - 4 - Has not impressed me at all so far
Calderon - 5 - Poor first half in particular
Dunk - 4 - He was rightly taken off. Bloody awful
Greer - 7 - Saved us more than once and chipped in with good goal
Bennett - 3 - Badly out of position on many occasions and seems unable to track back
Crofts - 6 - A solid game but nothing special
Holla - 7 - A well taken strike, impressing since joining
Teixeira - 6 - Flashes of brilliance but struggled to get his game flowing
Gardner - 5 - A few bad passes and got caught napping a few times
Corlunga - 7 - A work horse performance.
Baldock - 6 - Decent enough but some poor service too

Today, we defended badly and if we are going to have wing backs, we need the quality to be able to carry out that role. Bennett especially is just to advanced for too long with having the desire to get back. Brentford exposed us because of it.

I think Bruno is better when going forward than Calde

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Stockdale - 3 conceded three and was awful kicking. Please show us your previous form!
Calderon - 5 worked hard and defended well... When he was in position
Greer - 7 the best of a poor defensive display
Dunk - 3 my favourite player, but he had a shocker today. He looked like getting sent off too.
Bennett - 3 Awful today
Crofts - 6 didn't impose himself enough
Holla - 7 great goal and was our best midfielder
Tex - 5 poorest game so far. Great work for Holla's goal though
Gardner - 5 same as crofts, but slightly worse
Colunga - 6 worked really hard and preformed okay
Baldock - 6 had f all to feed from, hold up play not much better than CMS's vs Charlton.

Subs
Hughes - 6 solid
LuaLua - 6 was unlucky with a perfect sliding tackle being pulled up for a foul. Some good crosses.
CMS - 5 ran around a bit. Tried hard. No significant impact made though :(.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Stockdale - 4 - Has not impressed me at all so far
Calderon - 5 - Poor first half in particular
Dunk - 4 - He was rightly taken off. Bloody awful
Greer - 7 - Saved us more than once and chipped in with good goal
Bennett - 3 - Badly out of position on many occasions and seems unable to track back
Crofts - 6 - A solid game but nothing special
Holla - 7 - A well taken strike, impressing since joining
Teixeira - 6 - Flashes of brilliance but struggled to get his game flowing
Gardner - 5 - A few bad passes and got caught napping a few times
Corlunga - 7 - A work horse performance.
Baldock - 6 - Decent enough but some poor service too

Today, we defended badly and if we are going to have wing backs, we need the quality to be able to carry out that role. Bennett especially is just to advanced for too long with having the desire to get back. Brentford exposed us because of it.

I think Bruno is better when going forward than Calde

I agree dunk was poor first half but as he went off he looked
like he was feeling unwell so maybe he shouldn't have started. Don't agree re
Colunga he was far too lightweight.Never thought I would say this but we could
have done with O'Grady to hold up play.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Stockdale - 5 OK but felt he should have dived to intercept the cross for their second
Calderon - 5 What is he a defender or a winger? If a defender let him defend if a winger play someone who's a winger.
Bennett - 4 See above as per Calderon
Greer - 9 Did the work of 4
Dunk - 2 Should have been sent off and probably wished he had to save him the embarrassment of the first half.
Holla - 6 Interesting, looks good but not much defensive work goes on
Crofts - 5 Played as a right back most of the game, simply Why? Not his fault
Gardner - 5 Appeared happy to watch as his own team struggled to defend.
Texeirra - 7 Good but needs to tighten up, gave the ball away too easily
Corlunga - 6 Felt he would always make something happen
Baldock - 5 - OK

Hughes - 6 Old head was required, he did that.
KLL - 3 -Why oh why do you have kill the ball dead each and every time how abouts keep the ball moving.
CMS -4 Unable to make any impact

Ref -3 Should have sent Dunk off and then proceeded to allow them to buy freekicks including the keeper getting Baldock booked for not getting near him

Lino 0 Awful truly awful

You do not require UEFA badges to realise that the tactics were poor today. After about 10 minutes it was apparent we needed to keep the fullbacks deeper. I would have taken off Crofts and Gardner brought on Bruno and Ince and played a tighter game. We still would have looked good going forwards but might have offered some protection, as it was the game could have a rugby score either way.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I agree dunk was poor first half but as he went off he looked
like he was feeling unwell so maybe he shouldn't have started. Don't agree re
Colunga he was far too lightweight.Never thought I would say this but we could
have done with O'Grady to hold up play.

I think we do need some height/strength in the team.

However, that no.10 destroyed us today and poor defending like today will cost us either way

meeching gull

Sep 18, 2010
Boat Alley
PILTDOWN MAN;656720 Ref -3 Should have sent Dunk off and then proceeded to allow them to buy freekicks including the keeper getting Baldock booked for not getting no where near him.[/QUOTE said:
To me it was no free kick but as ref thought it was should have been straight red but for some reason he bottled it

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I think we do need some height/strength in the team.

However, that no.10 destroyed us today and poor defending like today will cost us either way

Agree re the number 10 he was good but Bennett shows no desire to get back was he has attacked. This system does work but only with full backs that can get up and down the line all game.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Agree re the number 10 he was good but Bennett shows no desire to get back was he has attacked. This system does work but only with full backs that can get up and down the line all game.

So as the manager only has those players at his disposal he should adjust his thinking accordingly. You play to your strengths not your weaknesses.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Yep. There was one point in the second half where Bennett nearly got on the end of a cross and ended up in the back of their net. He made it back to the edge of their area as they put a cross in from the right wing. Could he have got all the way back? Almost certainly not. Could he have crossed the half way line in an attempt to get back? Yep.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Stockdale 5 probably better suited as a hold up player up front
Bennett 4 Should be called Gordon
Dunk 4 i hope im wrong but his mind seemed elsewhere
Greer 7 good performance well taken GOALS
Calderon 6 spent most of second half covering Bennett
Holla 6 lovely goal too much hoof
Gardener 5 not for me thankyou
Croft 5 little impact
Texiera 6 some nice touches muscled off the ball too easy
Colunga 6 same as Tex needs to toughen up
Baldock 5 Kinel

Subs
Hughes 5 did ok
Lualua 5 is not a central midfielder Sami
CMS 5 run boy run

The Ref -A homer

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I was in the Ealing road end so can't comment on Dunk's performance from that distance but Hughes was average at best in the second half. Their winger ran past him like he wasn't there more than once. Greer really stood out at the back, covering for his team mates. It would have been an avalanche of goals without him. Calderon made an ass of himself trying to run a ball out of play. Crofts looked way out of his depth, his attempted header on goal was going way wide until Greer diverted it goal wards. Colunga did not convince at all, far too easily dealt with by the more assertive Brentford defence. I think Lua Lua had them worried but no end product as usual. I don't like to be negative but I came away very disheartened after that performance. I agree that O'Grady may have worked better here. Our midget forward line just didn't work today.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
We looked like world-beaters for the first 15 minutes, then Brentford's first goal against the run of play gave them all sorts of confidence and we went downhill from there. Was very impressed with Brentford.

I'm not at all sure that we have the players for the system Sammi wants to use. The defending was awful with the full backs nowhere to be seen.

Stockdale 5. A couple of decent stops, one as a result of his own poor throw, but not at all convinced.
Calderon 5. One of his poorest games for us.
Dunk 4. A real off day.
Greer 8. A good defensive performance and a great goal. Two or three wayward passes as usual.
Bennett 5. Needs to do better.
Holla 6. Thought he was one of our better players and a great goal.
Crofts 5.
Gardner 5. Needs to put more energy into his game.
Tex 6. Some lovely touches, but also frequently failed to release the ball early enough.
Colunga 5. Not yet convinced about him.
Baldock 6. With better service he could have scored a couple.

Subs:
Hughes 6. Did OK.
Lua Lua 4. A no-impact sub yesterday. Almost nothing he tried came off.
CMS 6. Plenty of energy. Would have liked him to have had longer with Baldock.

Overall a major disappointment, but a great game for the neutral. I certainly prefer to watch a 3-2 defeat than a 1-0 defeat. Not convinced by some of our new signings. How we could have done with Glenn Murray!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here