Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami's tactics

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It worked for Gus and Oscar and got us to the play offs each season.

Not a back four more a back 3 with the 2 defensive midfielders in front of them with wing backs, leaving 2 attacking midfield and a loan striker.

The conversation involves playing holla, ince and jfc......how can that have possibly ever worked previously?

Out of those 3, only 1 would ever be considered an attacking player. And he's employed in a far deeper role.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With Holla and Ince in front of Greer Dunk and Hughes'. Then a midfield of Bruno JFC Bennett with Tex in front just behind CMS or Baldock. I must emphasise this formation is for Tuesday away when we need to start keeping a clean sheet.

Have Colunga, CMS/Baldock, Crofts Lua Lua Gardner and if not working revert back to 2 CB and bring on another attacking midfielder/striker

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
With Holla and Ince in front of Greer Dunk and Hughes'. Then a midfield of Bruno JFC Bennett with Tex in front just behind CMS or Baldock. I must emphasise this formation is for Tuesday away when we need to start keeping a clean sheet.

Who knows BG.... You may well be right. I don't think so but you never know..can't see Hughes dunk and Greer playing together

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The answer is simple. If you want to use wingbacks you need to sacrifice one of the midfielders and play three centre backs. That's how Mexico utilised wingbacks at the World Cup and they played really nice football.

That is fine as long as it isn't Crofts - who seemed to play the role and not do it very well on the highlights. We need a better defensive midfielder, or we play Dunk, Hughes and Greer.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
it is too early to tell
but it is a strange version of wing backs
as others have said it is normal to have 3 centre backs
it it would be accurate to count our full backs as midfielders
and reasonable to describe the formation as 2 7 1
with many possible variations of the 7
normally 1 4 2
as I say it is a bit odd
generally speaking wing back systems disadvantage is
numerically in wide positions both in attack and defense
remember Venables England team which had Anderton
and macmanaman as the wing backs to give them more quality going forward
Opposition teams will certainly try to attack us down the flanks.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
isn't that a bit of a contradiction ......you say a player is expected to complete roles alien to them...but then you say you don't have a central midfield player covering full back....
All depends how you read it! My point simply is that players are playing out of position and hence we are not getting the best out of them.

If you feel that Calde is best suited as an advanced wing back, Crofts is better playing covering the advanced full back or KLL playing infield and not wide on the wing all well and good to me it doesn't make any sense.

If we want to play with wing backs and not full backs play creative players who can either beat a defender or simply do something special with the ball not slow play down and then get caught out of position.

The entertainment level is fantastic however the results are poor and it is a results business.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It worked for Gus and Oscar and got us to the play offs each season.

Not a back four more a back 3 with the 2 defensive midfielders in front of them with wing backs, leaving 2 attacking midfield and a loan striker.

Much as I respect what OG did last season we got there by the skin of our teeth and I can't think of many times when I felt we would make it....this year is the season of change

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
All depends how you read it! My point simply is that players are playing out of position and hence we are not getting the best out of them.

If you feel that Calde is best suited as an advanced wing back, Crofts is better playing covering the advanced full back or KLL playing infield and not wide on the wing all well and good to me it doesn't make any sense.

If we want to play with wing backs and not full backs play creative players who can either beat a defender or simply do something special with the ball not slow play down and then get caught out of position.

The entertainment level is fantastic however the results are poor and it is a results business.

oh i knew what you meant...but i would refer back to my original post and the reply by another poster and say its a question of the players getting used to a different system and cutting out silly mistakes..its not as though we are asking for example Crofts to play full back all the time....as regards to the entertain bit/results....well i think and i am sure you know this that SH wants results foremost...as mentioned at the beginning of his post match interview he wasn't interested in the entertainment value as we had lost

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I can't see any reason why both full backs should push up. One at a time.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I can't see any reason why both full backs should push up. One at a time.

i always thought if you play attacking full backs you should play 3 centre backs , i think Ince could fulfill this role , he would also give the team some extra prescence,which i think is also needed ,as we are a very light weight at the moment

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The team is simply unbalanced at the moment with too many ball players and not guys to put their foot in, win the battle and control the game. This will be evident whatever the formation is played given the payers out on the park.

Take the example of Hammond, now playing regularly in the Premiership. NSCs would be 'underwhelmed' if we signed him. He though has a physical presence, wins the ball and distributes it pretty effectively.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We are 17th. I don't think we'll be there by Christmas, but if we are then it's time to get concerned regardless of how many 4 or 5 goal thrillers we're part of.

All I'm hearing from people at the games is that we really can't defend.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This is the most exciting football I've seen us play since 10/11. I'd say that we're still very much a work in progress, but would MUCH rather this than what we were enduring last season.

I think a lot hinges on the performance of the Crofts/Gardner roles; there's real pressure to keep the tempo up, and move the ball quickly when we're in possession, and also to track midfield runs to make sure we're don't get caught out as easily as we did on Saturday.

I also honestly believe that when this system clicks we will be an absolute nightmare to cope with for any team in the league.

But most importantly, it's just great to watch.

Stumpy Tim

oh i knew what you meant...but i would refer back to my original post and the reply by another poster and say its a question of the players getting used to a different system and cutting out silly mistakes..its not as though we are asking for example Crofts to play full back all the time....as regards to the entertain bit/results....well i think and i am sure you know this that SH wants results foremost...as mentioned at the beginning of his post match interview he wasn't interested in the entertainment value as we had lost

Crofts is playing at right-back more than Calderon at the moment - which is probably why Bruno did such a good job in that position.

It's a ludicrous system and I don't like Sami experimenting with my football team.

The team is simply unbalanced at the moment with too many ball players and not guys to put their foot in, win the battle and control the game. This will be evident whatever the formation is played given the payers out on the park.

Take the example of Hammond, now playing regularly in the Premiership. NSCs would be 'underwhelmed' if we signed him. He though has a physical presence, wins the ball and distributes it pretty effectively.

Yes, I'm really pleased for him, tremendous servant of the club in both spells, once he was loaned into our midfield under Gus, remember we became the form team of the entire league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here