Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami's tactics

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It's great pushing the full backs on to be more at attack minded at HOME, but is a risky strategy away as was proven yesterday. Yes the game was entertaining but we were all over the place at the back and to be honest I'm surprised they didn't score more. We need to set up differently away from home than we do at home - just my view.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
We are playing a system without the players who are able to play it. Saturday the player who had the ball the most was Calde but sadly he hasn't got the ability to get round his marker so the ball goes backwards.

Poor Crofts is a hard working midfielder who bursts late into the penalty area and yet he was covering the advancing full backs. Players playing out of position, I get the feeling that the manager is trying to get round pegs into square holes to play a style / system that just doesn't work.

I thought we just looked average at best and have gone backwards on the pitch from last year.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Impossible to answer, same as every year at this time in the season. Give him time, judge him at the end of the season.

As was done with the Oscar doubters last year, there is just one point difference after 6 games, and we're still in the cup.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As was done with the Oscar doubters last year, there is just one point difference after 6 games, and we're still in the cup.

one point behind clubs like Derby Cardiff and Ipswich plus its not as though our defensive performance is being ignored
to quote SH ''In the first half we were not convincing defensively and we made it too easy for Brentford to get behind us and score.''

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
one point behind clubs like Derby Cardiff and Ipswich plus its not as though our defensive performance is being ignored
to quote SH ''In the first half we were not convincing defensively and we made it too easy for Brentford to get behind us and score.''
Surely it was too easy for Brentford to get behind us because of the system SH employs with the full backs on the half way line and just two centre halves and a holding midfielder defending a pacey strike force, sorry it's not the players it's the system which is at fault.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Surely it was too easy for Brentford to get behind us because of the system SH employs with the full backs on the half way line and just two centre halves and a holding midfielder defending a pacey strike force, sorry it's not the players it's the system which is at fault.

Or more accurately, the players have not adapted to the system well enough yet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yep, I'd agree with this. We also had a disallowed goal, don't forget. A draw would have been fair enough, I guess.

I'm struggling somewhat with the entertainment vs results argument. Of course I want to watch entertaining football. But I also want promotion (I know that many on here don't). To play attractive, attacking football and get results generally requires world class players, which of course we can't afford. By way of example, I wouldn't say that any of Leicester, Burnley or QPR consistently played attractive attacking football last season.

So - on balance, I'd take 1-0 home results and 0-0 away results for every game this season to amass 92 points, thus securing an auto-spot (almost certainly). Next season, we can play the flair stuff that I'd like to see. Sure, we'd come straight back down, but with ~£120m across the four seasons starting next year. If, however, Sami can somehow play with the current system and record 3-2 wins instead of 3-2 losses, I'll be even happier.

At last somebody speaks some sense. Play the way needed to get points on the board the flair and attacking mode will come with player confidence and results the very basic first option has got to be KEEP A CLEAN SHEET.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Last season we were too defensive and negative this season so far we have been too attacking and cavalier. If Sami can find the happy medium he will have nailed it

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

See reply below your post

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
At last somebody speaks some sense. Play the way needed to get points on the board the flair and attacking mode will come with player confidence and results the very basic first option has got to be KEEP A CLEAN SHEET.
gosh u make it sound all so simple...best let him know

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
For me the difference between the Poyet (and Oscar) teams was that the full backs were overlapping a winger and thus either dragging the opposition winger back or creating a two on one against their full back.
At the moment we are asking our full backs to take on both their winger and full back, once the winger does not come back (and why should he knowing he has a player behind him and lots of room to go into should we lose the ball) when it all breaks down we have a winger either running into space or against one of our centre midfielders who is covering. When our centre midfielder is covering it leaves the middle open for the opposition players in the middle to pick out passes because they are not under pressure.
When our full backs are successful in getting a cross in it has to be inch perfect because we don't have that natural big man to get his head on the ball. Add to that the midfield are unable to get forward because they are covering at the back.
Yesterday we didn't seem fussed about keeping the ball either which made it even more difficult.

Obviously early days and I hope it comes good (if nothing else because we need continuity for a couple of seasons), but far from impressed so far.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
gosh u make it sound all so simple...best let him know

Football is a very simple game made difficult by EXPERTS.

I hate to quote Arsenal but during George Grahams reign Tony Adams was once quoted as saying if we score 1 goal we know we will get a draw and if we score 2 probably a win. Compare that to Kevin Keegan at Newcastle where they played like us gung ho and attack. Which manager won most honours and trophies,

Last edited:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Totally disagree with this. Texeira did little except setup our second goal, although I wouldn't have taken him off personally, while Baldock looked a threat despite getting little service. Taking your comment literally, I'm assuming having a shot blocked on the line by a defender is "nothing". All about opinions I suppose.

Also, I think there was plenty to be optimistic about, while also a fair amount to be concerned about. There were a lot of people moaning last season about how boring it was with 1-0 and 0-0 scorelines under Oscar, even when we reached the play offs with an injury hit squad. Well, Sami is the antidote to that. We'll score and concede a fair amount this season playing this way. I think calling us very poor is harsh.

Its difficult for Sammi to get it right immediately, but surely we don't have to sacrifice our defensive record in order to maybe score some goals. Its a high risk strategy with the players that we have and as has been previously identified on this thread, once teams know how we play we may well be in trouble. Its still early days but I don't see it as simplistic as we either concede more so that we can score more, there should be more thought than that going into this.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Also our exposed centre-halves (and the goalie where appropriate) are our only aerial threat on the opposition's goal from set pieces. The next one in line for headers on goal, Crofts, has now changed from last season's 'pop-up' second striker to deputy right back.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Or more accurately, the players have not adapted to the system well enough yet.
I really don't think this is the case, players are expected to complete roles which are totally alien to them.
You don't have a master baker making soup, just as you don't have a centre of midfield player covering full back.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Without Matt Upson our defence is very unlikely to be as solid as it was for the last two seasons, whatever approach Hyypia takes.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
You would have thought that he would have noticed that before now - like at Swindon for example!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here