Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bees could be stung by Albion star they abandoned [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion loan star Joao Teixeira could haunt Brentford at Griffin Park today.
Liverpool's Portugese midfield prospect has made a mockery in the early stages of his stint at the Amex of Brentford's decision to abandon him.
A year ago Teixeira made his debut for the Bees as an 89th minute substitute in a 4-3 win at Tranmere Rovers in League One.
He was meant to stay in West London until January but went back to Anfield after his initial 28 days and only one more appearance for Uwe Rosler's side, as a second half replacement in a 2-0 home defeat by Leyton Orient.
Mark Warburton, Brentford's former sporting director turned manager, remarked at the time that "we were not able to give Joao the opportunity to demonstrate his obvious talent."
The Brentford fans who caught only a fleeting glimpse of that talent during his curtailed loan stint might be left wondering why Teixeira was sent back to Merseyside with such indecent haste if he maintains the form he has showed so far for Albion.
Goals at Leeds on his first start and at home to Bolton, coupled with his ability on the ball and creative instincts, have made the 21-year-old former Sporting Lisbon playmaker an instant hit with supporters and also his team-mates.
Fellow midfielder Andrew Crofts was surprised to learn of Teixeira's aborted loan stint with today's opponents.
He told The Argus: "Football is a crazy game. People see things differently.
"I was suspended for the Birmingham came when he came on for the last 20 minutes (for his debut).
"I was watching and thinking this lad has got a bit about him. Then I saw comments made by Brendan Rodgers and Steven Gerrard about him and what a talent he is.
"When you have two people like that saying how good he is at that age you only think he is going to be a good player."
It is not just the natural gifts of Teixeira that have caught the eye of Crofts.
The Welsh international has also been taken by the way he has coped with the rough and tumble of the Championship.
Crofts said: "He is Portugese. You think somebody might come in and leave a bit on him and he'll go missing but away to Leeds I remember him getting kicked three or four times.
"Straight away he was up back on his feet looking to get on the ball.
"I was really impressed by that. I think he has got a real appetite for the game. He always wants to be involved in all the play."
Teixeira, together with Aston Villa loanees Joe Bennett and Gary Gardner, has also made a smooth transition into the dressing room environment at the Amex.
Crofts said: "He is a really good lad as well. Boys coming in from bigger clubs you sometimes get a perception that they might think they don't belong in the Championship.
"That is not the case with Tex and Joe and Gary from Villa. Straight away they have bought into what this club wants to do.
"They work really hard and they are really good players. They have all made a difference. It's a pleasure to have them here.
"Hopefully they can get what they need to get out of it and contribute a lot to what we want to do. They have done so far and I can only see them getting better."
Brentford might just be about to discover how much better Teixeira has become in the last 12 months.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here